🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Murphy

Just My Luck (2006)

Loved the latest podcast on I Know Who Killed Me - truly an epic work of what-the-fuckery.

That said, I must humbly submit a request for my favorite bad Lindsay Lohan vehicle - the 2006 comedy Just My Luck.

To sum up the plot: Lohan stars as Ashley, a New York City fashion assistant who has had incredible luck her whole life. Chris Pine is Jake, a struggling band manager who just can't seem to do anything right. After kissing at a masquerade ball, they're fates unexpectedly switch. Now, Ashley must scour the city to regain her luck.

The script itself feels like it was written for Kim Cattrall and Rob Lowe in 1985, and was only recently dug up out of a dusty filing cabinet and re-purposed as a Lindsay Lohan vehicle. But the description alone doesn't do justice to the myriad of WTF moments this film has in store.

One of my favorite sub-plots involves Chris Pine playing manager for the British band McFly. In the course of several weeks, this mediocre pop-rock band goes from unknowns who can't even sell out a bowling alley to being the Beatles circa-Hard Day's Night.

This film at least has the unintentional entertainment value of watching bad things happen to Lindsay Lohan for a majority of the running time. In a way, the film acts as a metaphor for real life events: Lindsay Lohan was a upcoming starlet with several big hits under her belt, while Chris Pine was still a struggling actor doing TV guest spots. Then, after crossing paths in this movie, Lohan's career and personal life came to screeching halt, while Pine become the next big thing.

• Like 1

For whatever reason the TV was on ABC Family (my wife was probably watching a Harry Potter movie) and this movie was on. This is definitely in the bad comedies realm that would work for HDTGM. There's a scene where she gets her hair caught in the intake of a hairdryer so she throws it into the tub, while it's still running and turns the water on. This movie is bizz-onkers.

• Like 1

Caught this again the other night, it's running on Cinemax.

I actually saw this movie in theaters when I was 14 because I was a huge Lindsay Lohan fan at the time! That was before I even looked at reviews for it because I was still fairly young. I haven't seen it since then but I once I watch Just My Luck again, I will notice that this would be pretty awful.

Just wanted to give this a bump. Many months ago my wife and I were watching The Graham Norton Show and the guest was "McBusted" which was the combination of the boy bands "McFly" and "Busted" and I instantly recognized McFly as the band that Chris Pine is trying to manage in Just My Luck. I was torn between being proud of myself for remembering that nugget and embarrassed.

• Like 1

This one is probably off limits for now given what happened to her over the weekend. I do sincerely hope she has a speedy recovery.

Sign in to follow this