🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 169 - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie: LIVE!

When Dodger first joins Tangerine on her nightclub sales excursion, I was flummoxed when he asks her how does selling work. Tangerine then proceeds to explain the art of negotiating.

Hold up!

This is the same Dodger who works at an antique shop. Are you to tell me that he has no concept of how to exchange goods for money? I mean did we just find the reason why Captain Manzini's store has only sold a couple of items in the last few weeks?!

And on a side note, I love that due to poor production value the only money the filmmakers could use were singles. No fives... No tens... just straight up singles.

aD0aoGU.png

• Like 1

Before this gets too Defenders heavy I have one correction and omission that I noticed.

After the Garbage Pail Kids are released from their garbage can Ali Gator pulls out a lunch box filled with human eyes, ears, and toes. I really want to know where did these people parts come from? Did their can crash on Earth and then he proceeded to go about murdering and collecting them from people? He built up a collection and was then trapped back in the can by Captain Manzini where somehow those parts stayed fresh and preserved. Notice it's also chock-full of parts like it hasn't been touched. This leads me to believe that the Captain is aware of Ali's particular dining habits and has been murdering people and collecting parts for his little friend. This makes more sense then an alien who looks like a human alligator coming to Earth and deciding that they are going to eat the people of that planet who happen to look like large versions of his friends whom he has no interest in eating. Rather it is more logical to believe that Captain Manzini assuming he was a flesh eating gator of some sort started feeding him human flesh and Ali then developed a taste for it. Also I get him liking toes and ears as they are external and easily bite off-able parts, but where did his taste for eyes come in? That's a little harder to "accidentally" or stealthily bite off.

• Like 5

Before this gets too Defenders heavy I have one correction and omission that I noticed.

After the Garbage Pail Kids are released from their garbage can Ali Gator pulls out a lunch box filled with human eyes, ears, and toes. I really want to know where did these people parts come from? Did their can crash on Earth and then he proceeded to go about murdering and collecting them from people? He built up a collection and was then trapped back in the can by Captain Manzini where somehow those parts stayed fresh and preserved. Notice it's also chock-full of parts like it hasn't been touched. This leads me to believe that the Captain is aware of Ali's particular dining habits and has been murdering people and collecting parts for his little friend. This makes more sense then an alien who looks like a human alligator coming to Earth and deciding that they are going to eat the people of that planet who happen to look like large versions of his friends whom he has no interest in eating. Rather it is more logical to believe that Captain Manzini assuming he was a flesh eating gator of some sort started feeding him human flesh and Ali then developed a taste for it. Also I get him liking toes and ears as they are external and easily bite off-able parts, but where did his taste for eyes come in? That's a little harder to "accidentally" or stealthily bite off.

I have two particular theories on this. First is plays into my theory that these are victims of Stockholm Syndrome, but more to it in that Manzini is truly insane to where he actually was some sort of genius doctor/scientist, especially after talking about how he left society after the A-bomb was made. He grabs these people from the Home for the Ugly and begins a process of surgically modifying them into these smaller forms, but of course there are failures in any experiment so he has a bunch of dead kidnapees in his giant store/dungeon, so he's able to provide the eyes and toes in order to keep Ali in line.

Second theory is more like Let the Right One In where he's going out and killing people in order to provide parts for Ali to eat while keeping it under lock and key so that the outside world doesn't discover the Kids. This theory seems more logical, but again with this movie i would not be surprised if either were correct.

• Like 3

Well, there's also the alleged divide between the TV shows and the movies, so no Valkyrie either (and I think Fox makes the former X-Men members verboten as well). Of course the sparsity of crossovers between the movies and shows means we'll likely never see the relationships between folks like Daredevil and Black Widow or Jessica Jones and Scott Lang (to say nothing of Hawkeye and Mockingbird).

Oh, I meant more in terms of a movie movie, not something on Netflix or television. As it stands, you could already do a "true" Defenders movie (more like the comics) since you have Dr. Strange, Hulk, and Valkyrie in place. You'd just have to add Hawkeye, Black Widow, or anyone else from that list (not owned by Fox) and have a Cinematic Defenders movie.

• Like 3

Listening to the show I just remembered something. I completely forgot about the character Juice. We I saw this film I must've been around 8 years old and had a kiddie crush on the character of Juice! It must have been one of earlier 'funny tingle' moments. Just something about the feathered hair and the bad boy attitude.

Thank you HDTGM for uncovering my early sexual awakenings in this abismal mess. I think I have been repressing the memory! Even more worryingly, googling him nearly thee decades later, I still wouldn't kick him outta bed. Does this make me the Jason of my group?

gpkjuice.jpg

• Like 4

My Greatest Dream for the Marvel Netflix Universe is for Moon Knight's involvement somehow. I think he fits into that "gritty New York superhero" vibe really well with characters like Daredevil and Punisher, plus there is the mystical element that he shares with Iron Fist (granted, in a very different form). I know there are probably a lot of reasons why Marvel might not want to introduce this character (comparisons to Batman, New York is already kinda crowded), but I think there are a lot of interesting angles you could take with the character. He's an out-and-out LUNATIC (c what I did there?) rather than just a functioning psychopath like Punisher or Wilson Fisk, so you could say a lot about vigilantism through his illness and his personality disorder. The way he deals with the guilt from his former life/lives could also mirror Luke Cage's, while playing off of Daredevil's guilt over his (Murdock's) current life. He could also be a foil for Frank Castle's relationship to his own past, as Castle is seeking vengeance for wrongs done to him while Moon Knight is seeking vengeance for wrongs done to others because of the wrongs he himself committed, and is bound to the moon god Khunshu because of them. Even being an Egyptian god-powered insane revenge machine, he's STILL less likely to commit cold-blooded murder than Punisher, which says a lot about Frank Castle. Still being willing to kill, however, he's like a moral balancing act between Daredevil and Punisher... almost like the way an eclipse shadows the Earth from the sun, but does not create total darkness.

I JUST PITCHED YOU A MOON KNIGHT SERIES MARVEL YOU ARE WELCOME.

• Like 2

My Greatest Dream for the Marvel Netflix Universe is for Moon Knight's involvement somehow. I think he fits into that "gritty New York superhero" vibe really well with characters like Daredevil and Punisher, plus there is the mystical element that he shares with Iron Fist (granted, in a very different form). I know there are probably a lot of reasons why Marvel might not want to introduce this character (comparisons to Batman, New York is already kinda crowded), but I think there are a lot of interesting angles you could take with the character. He's an out-and-out LUNATIC (c what I did there?) rather than just a functioning psychopath like Punisher or Wilson Fisk, so you could say a lot about vigilantism through his illness and his personality disorder. The way he deals with the guilt from his former life/lives could also mirror Luke Cage's, while playing off of Daredevil's guilt over his (Murdock's) current life. He could also be a foil for Frank Castle's relationship to his own past, as Castle is seeking vengeance for wrongs done to him while Moon Knight is seeking vengeance for wrongs done to others because of the wrongs he himself committed, and is bound to the moon god Khunshu because of them. Even being an Egyptian god-powered insane revenge machine, he's STILL less likely to commit cold-blooded murder than Punisher, which says a lot about Frank Castle. Still being willing to kill, however, he's like a moral balancing act between Daredevil and Punisher... almost like the way an eclipse shadows the Earth from the sun, but does not create total darkness.

I JUST PITCHED YOU A MOON KNIGHT SERIES MARVEL YOU ARE WELCOME.

First of all: YES! Moon Knight was the first thing I picked up when I first came back to comics years ago. I back your pitch 100%.

Secondly: James Gunn has shown a lot of interest in doing something with Moon Knight. I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, I just want Moon Knight, but as much as I like him, I'm just not sure if Gunn is the one to do it.

• Like 2

I remember a rumor (sometime last year IIRC), that Punisher was going to be the start of a second wave of Netflix shows including Ghost Rider, Blade and Moon Knight. I don't remember if the rumor said or not if they'd build up to a Marvel Knights/Midnight Sons thing the way the current crop built to Defenders, but with the Punisher series a reality, it'd be interesting to see if this could really happen.

Personally, If I had my druthers, I'd just opt to adapt Charlie Huston's run on the book.

• Like 2

First of all: YES! Moon Knight was the first thing I picked up when I first came back to comics years ago. I back your pitch 100%.

Secondly: James Gunn has shown a lot of interest in doing something with Moon Knight. I don't know how I feel about that. On the one hand, I just want Moon Knight, but as much as I like him, I'm just not sure if Gunn is the one to do it.

I'm also on team Moon Knight especially if they go with the Warren Ellis Mr. Knight look which works with the overall look and feel of the TV universe anyway.

It's a tricky character to handle and get the right feel for and as much as I love James Gunn and I know he can get dark but I think a lot of sensibilities will shine through and just don't jive well. I think they need a guy who gets the TV format, has a great eye, and can do heady mind twisty stories so I say get Bryan Fuller.

• Like 1

I remember a rumor (sometime last year IIRC), that Punisher was going to be the start of a second wave of Netflix shows including Ghost Rider, Blade and Moon Knight. I don't remember if the rumor said or not if they'd build up to a Marvel Knights/Midnight Sons thing the way the current crop built to Defenders, but with the Punisher series a reality, it'd be interesting to see if this could really happen.

Yes!

Personally, If I had my druthers, I'd just opt to adapt Charlie Huston's run on the book.

Yes! (That was the run I was referring too!)

mk1cvr.jpg

I'm also on team Moon Knight especially if they go with the Warren Ellis Mr. Knight look which works with the overall look and feel of the TV universe anyway.

Yes!

...so I say get Bryan Fuller.

Yes!

• Like 4

OMG I MISSED DEFENDERS TALK???

Okay so I also finished it in a day and I know Cameron saw my few comments on Twitter but legit I fucking hate Danny Rand. His boring ass white boy bull shit NEEDS TO GO.

Every time it was Matt, Luke, and Jessica I was fangirling so gd hard. Charlie and Krysten have so much natural chemistry together that all of their bickering just really blossomed and made me all heart eyes. Then seeing Luke and Jess reunited was a heart filler. I love how natural Claire and Luke are together but GOD DAMN do I ship Luke and Jessica.

I can't remember all the things I was gonna respond to here except that I actually thought it was a bit rushed in the beginning and not slow. I do agree that the first episode felt really choppy. Like they were trying to mimic all of the individual show styles instead of immediately just having one singular vision for this one show. I like that eventually it became that once they were all together, but they could have skipped the going from the very dark & cool color palette with Jessica to the light & warm tones with Luke back to back and made it all cohesive.

Jessica "Am I the only one who doesn't know Karate" Jones is perfection. Thank you and good night.

• Like 4

@Taylor - I think my biggest issue with Danny is Finn Jones is bound and determined to make him just another angsty, raspy-voiced superhero - which tells me that he doesn't get Iron Fist at all. Also, it throws off the whole dynamic. Matt is our raspy, angsty hero, we don't need two. Luke is the cool-headed voice of reason, Jessica is the cynic, so to complete that group, Danny has to be the goofy, innocent. There are times he gets close, but he can't sustain it. As weird as this might sound, I think Jones' problem is sustaining an American accent. It seems like the only way he can do it is by doing "Batman" voice and that is informing his character.

Trust me, as a fan of comics Danny, I'm no fan of Jones' Danny.

• Like 3

Defenders Talk [spoilers]

Are we sure that he didn't just kidnap a bunch of people from the Home for the Ugly and convince them that they are aliens by means of Stockholm Syndrome?

Also after finishing The Defenders, can I say that I am honestly shocked that

Claire wasn't this teams version of Phil Coulson where her apparent death would cause the team to come together and fight against a common enemy, as that's what it seemed to be leading to with each season of the four prior shows.

Cuz they knew I would've hunted down everyone involved in the show fucking Arya Stark style if they did that. [/spoilers]

Charlie and Krysten have so much natural chemistry together that all of their bickering just really blossomed and made me all heart eyes. Then seeing Luke and Jess reunited was a heart filler. I love how natural Claire and Luke are together but GOD DAMN do I ship Luke and Jessica.

I saw people saying they ship Matt/Jessica now and it made me wonder if Melissa Rosenberg will go the way ALIAS did. Which was Jessica was in a relationship with Scott Lang/Ant-man when she got pregnant and it wasn't his kid, it was Luke Cage's. (They just had a drunken one-night stand.) And she had to make the decision to keep it nor not.

It's weird because in the comics now they are the Cages are the big happy family, but they weren't dating when Danielle was conceived. And I think Jessica kind of lost her edge in the comics when she became "the mom" of the New Avengers. And obviously the closing of the MAX line meant they couldn't really keep her an unwed mother.

• Like 3

There are a few Marvel characters I want in live action media, and I don't know enough about Moon Knight out of the handful of times I've seen him in crossovers, though what I've seen from the most recent run I've enjoyed.

I'd love to see Moon Girl, but with Devil Dinosaur it seems doubtful as the CGI would be constant and I doubt that they would put that cost forward for a show.

Squirrel Girl would work in either movie or show form and with Anna Kendrick voicing her desire to play the character it seems likely over other characters that have been bandied about.

And while the focus has been on heroes, I'd love for Marvel to show the other side of the spectrum and have series based on villains like The Superior Foes of Spider-Man which if they could hit the humor of that series would be amazing. Same for a Bullseye series as there have been many limited run series that are fantastic and could create a three dimensional character that would eventually interact with established characters like the Punisher or Daredevil.

And again I'm going to stump for Taskmaster who is criminally underutilized by Marvel, especially after the great limited series the character had called Unthinkable, where it's revealed he's a SHIELD agent, who due to his superhuman ability of photogenic reflexes and physical movement prediction, has forgotten that he's a SHIELD agent because he can only remember the moves he's memorized from his targets as well as every person he passes in public. What made the series so good was how the character's abilities were shown by overlapping the character he was mimicking over Taskmaster's body, which could be an interesting dynamic for a Netflix show.

PlancheA_251771.jpg

• Like 3

@Ryan

Squirrel Girl is happening! Granted, she'll be a part of the New Warriors, but still...

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-new-warriors-tv-cast/

Moon Knight goes up against Taskmaster in one of the first arcs of Huston's run. I love his rational for not wanting to fight MK

MK doesn't try to avoid getting hit

• Like 1

@Ryan

Squirrel Girl is happening! Granted, she'll be a part of the New Warriors, but still...

http://www.cbr.com/m...rriors-tv-cast/

Moon Knight goes up against Taskmaster in one of the first arcs of Huston's run. I love his rational for not wanting to fight MK

MK doesn't try to avoid getting hit

It's why I'm kinda bummed he won't be a Deadpool movie as those two have great chemistry on the page, as they both recognize that they're just dudes doing an job and actually go out to help one another at points.I+still+can+t+tell+if+deadpool+and+the+taskmaster+are+_fd364cf1ebadf9773130efef575138d4.png

• Like 1

Regarding Taskmaster the problem is Marvel has a bad problem of not many writers taking a villains history into account when using them and turning them into generic punching bags for certain heroes. Shocker is a prime example. He was a crook who just wanted money. He wasn't dumb, and never wanted to fight Spidey. In fact up until the 90s he was 50-50 with getting away from Spidey and being caught. Then it became fun to make fun of his look and his name, and now he's just the villain that gets trotted out for a laugh or when you want Spidey to punch someone.

Taskmaster kinda falls under this too. In his first appearances he takes on the entire Avengers! In fact there is a line about him being able to beat them, but again he's not a character that wants to rule the world or anything like that. His origins are of a business man. He trains goons and henchmen for people, and just collects the money. He's a mercenary that will work with anybody as long as the paycheck is there. Some writers try to make more of a character of him like in Unthinkable or an incredible single issue in Avengers Academy, but at the end of the day a lot of writers just see skull mask and cape and choose to make him a regular lackey. That said he would make a good character in the TV universe but maybe not a solo series.

• Like 3

Regarding Taskmaster the problem is Marvel has a bad problem of not many writers taking a villains history into account when using them and turning them into generic punching bags for certain heroes. Shocker is a prime example. He was a crook who just wanted money. He wasn't dumb, and never wanted to fight Spidey. In fact up until the 90s he was 50-50 with getting away from Spidey and being caught. Then it became fun to make fun of his look and his name, and now he's just the villain that gets trotted out for a laugh or when you want Spidey to punch someone.

Taskmaster kinda falls under this too. In his first appearances he takes on the entire Avengers! In fact there is a line about him being able to beat them, but again he's not a character that wants to rule the world or anything like that. His origins are of a business man. He trains goons and henchmen for people, and just collects the money. He's a mercenary that will work with anybody as long as the paycheck is there. Some writers try to make more of a character of him like in Unthinkable or an incredible single issue in Avengers Academy, but at the end of the day a lot of writers just see skull mask and cape and choose to make him a regular lackey. That said he would make a good character in the TV universe but maybe not a solo series.

Shocker at least finally got his due in Superior Foes where he became the head of the Maggia in New York after knocking the Punisher out in front of the heads of the mob. As for Taskmaster I would love a singular series, both in TV and comic, but would settle for him in something like the Thunderbolts. The character would have to go under some appearance modifications, such as making his mask tactically reasonable like a ballistic mask, but I think if they went the route of Unthinkable and made it kind of a Jason Bourne type story where he's trying to figure out the holes in his past, it could work.

So uh, what movie we talking about?

• Like 2

Defenders Talk [spoilers]

Cuz they knew I would've hunted down everyone involved in the show fucking Arya Stark style if they did that. [/spoilers]

Literally same. Leave Claire Temple alone gdi.

I saw people saying they ship Matt/Jessica now and it made me wonder if Melissa Rosenberg will go the way ALIAS did. Which was Jessica was in a relationship with Scott Lang/Ant-man when she got pregnant and it wasn't his kid, it was Luke Cage's. (They just had a drunken one-night stand.) And she had to make the decision to keep it nor not.

It's weird because in the comics now they are the Cages are the big happy family, but they weren't dating when Danielle was conceived. And I think Jessica kind of lost her edge in the comics when she became "the mom" of the New Avengers. And obviously the closing of the MAX line meant they couldn't really keep her an unwed mother.

See I don't see them having chemistry in a romantic way, but rather just this on screen chemistry that makes them more interesting to watch than a lot of other pairings. Like the chemistry he also has with Elden! But I admit that reading The Defenders in comics is not something I've done yet so I can't comment on what happened there vs what's happening now. I just know that on screen Luke and Jessica are a big YES PLEASE from me lol. And if Jessica loses that edge I'll be real sad. I kinda hope that Danielle comes much later and it's not a thing they throw in to "surprise" us right now because we haven't had enough of Jessica as she is now.

I think they're really developing the relationship between the two of them really well. It's obvious they both still have feelings for each other even if they're not sure where that's going or what it really means, and we know Luke would never do anything to hurt Claire ever because he's the best man Marvel has ever seen next to Steve Rogers. But to me from what you've said it sounds like they've done the drunken one night stand bit with what happened in Jessica Jones but now they actually want to develop them together so it doesn't just rely on a pregnancy.

• Like 3

@Taylor - I think my biggest issue with Danny is Finn Jones is bound and determined to make him just another angsty, raspy-voiced superhero - which tells me that he doesn't get Iron Fist at all. Also, it throws off the whole dynamic. Matt is our raspy, angsty hero, we don't need two. Luke is the cool-headed voice of reason, Jessica is the cynic, so to complete that group, Danny has to be the goofy, innocent. There are times he gets close, but he can't sustain it. As weird as this might sound, I think Jones' problem is sustaining an American accent. It seems like the only way he can do it is by doing "Batman" voice and that is informing his character.

Trust me, as a fan of comics Danny, I'm no fan of Jones' Danny.

Yeah I can definitely tell they want him to be this innocent dude, but I don't even think the problem solely lies on Finn. I found that they'd want him to go from annoyingly arrogant to annoyingly innocent in one literal punch and it was aggravating to watch. Iron Fist wasn't written well and it is very obvious when you compare it to all of the other shows. I mean I watched that entire series and everything involving the Meachum's was SO GOD DAMN BORING I couldn't stand it. I found myself looking at my phone every time they were on screen. So it shows me the showrunners and the people responsible for creating Danny don't know how to take these kinds of characters and make them interesting. Like they had it all on page there and they still couldn't do it properly.

• Like 3

I PROMISE THIS IS MY LAST POST TONIGHT

But Krysten Ritter posted this today on her instagram that she had taught Charlie how to knit on the set in between takes and I'm sorry but Krysten is literally the most perfect person and I love her.

3xKUPwK.png

But uh yeah Garbage Pail Kids was not a movie I watched and I'm taking Jason's advice to not watch it lol.

• Like 5

So uh, what movie we talking about?

I will talk about whatever helps me forget Garbage Pail Kids existing.

• Like 5

That picture is amazing beyond words. Thank you for passing it along.

I was not fond of the Iron Fist series either. Like many, I had issues with the Meachum family drama bringing any momentum to a screeching halt, in addition to Danny's more annoying tendencies. If we could just hurry up and get to a buddy cop dynamic between Luke and Danny like in David Walker's Power Man & Iron Fist series, I think things would turn around sufficiently.

As for Garbage Pail Kids, I recall seeing the movie on TV when I was younger, but I forgot all about it. Never collected the cards either. For some reason, in terms of cards based on gross-out humor, I had more of those Wacky Packages cards. If anyone remembers those.

• Like 4