🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 169 - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie: LIVE!

10468702_10100477016522098_7744663635786664873_n.jpg?oh=9dd41b97b1e01377cb7ec04e0345d2d7&oe=5A1B95C8I have nothing to add to this conversation on The Garbage Pail Kids movie other than this picture of me with my Garbage Pail Kids wall when I was a kid. I had like all of them, plus all kinds of collectible stuff. And even being as big a fan as I was, I hated this movie. I was the target audience and they still screwed it up.
  • Like 13

@Taylor - I think my biggest issue with Danny is Finn Jones is bound and determined to make him just another angsty, raspy-voiced superhero - which tells me that he doesn't get Iron Fist at all. Also, it throws off the whole dynamic. Matt is our raspy, angsty hero, we don't need two. Luke is the cool-headed voice of reason, Jessica is the cynic, so to complete that group, Danny has to be the goofy, innocent. There are times he gets close, but he can't sustain it. As weird as this might sound, I think Jones' problem is sustaining an American accent. It seems like the only way he can do it is by doing "Batman" voice and that is informing his character.

Trust me, as a fan of comics Danny, I'm no fan of Jones' Danny.

Isn't this more a problem of the people running the show, not the actor? If they wanted a goofy Iron Fist they would have written the character that way and directed the performance that way (and if Jones couldn't pull it off, cast someone else).

Given the way it's sustained for an entire season, I'm thinking Jones is playing it angsty because he's told to play it that way.

• Like 3

Re IF showrunner - Maybe. I guess we'll see since they got a new show runner for Season 2. ;)/> I'm not trying to say Jones is solely responsible, but I don't think he's got a good handle on the character, either. (Or able to get into a lotus position without looking like he's struggling).

• Like 2

Isn't this more a problem of the people running the show, not the actor? If they wanted a goofy Iron Fist they would have written the character that way and directed the performance that way (and if Jones couldn't pull it off, cast someone else).

Given the way it's sustained for an entire season, I'm thinking Jones is playing it angsty because he's told to play it that way.

I never saw IF, but in the Defenders, it seemed liked as soon as he was paired with Matt, Jessica or Luke, he turned into a little kid that just wanted to hang out with the big kids. Not necessarily goofy but trying too hard and having a good time with his new buddies- and when they weren't around to call him on how crazy his weird mystical stuff sounded, he was still trying too hard but there was nothing to undercut it. I can't imagine a whole season of his monologues and being morose.

I'm just saying this series convinced me I don't need to watch IF. But I may watch a 2nd season if the showrunners learned anything from this.

• Like 3

Well good news Scott Buck has left ruining Iron Fist to go ruin the Inhumans!

• Like 4

Should we just replace the Defenders' characters' names with characters from GPK?

"I though it was awesome when Ali Gator ducked behind Foul Phil when...Juice and those bullies...started shooting up the place. And then Ali Gator's fist starts to glow and they both turn to the camera side-by-side. That was awesome! It looked just like the cover of a...trading card."

• Like 3

Re IF showrunner - Maybe. I guess we'll see since they got a new show runner for Season 2. ;)/> I'm not trying to say Jones is solely responsible, but I don't think he's got a good handle on the character, either. (Or able to get into a lotus position without looking like he's struggling).

I completely agree with that last point. He didn't train long enough, in my opinion. I know he had the time that he had but when he was fighting Colleen or anyone from the Hand it was veeerrryyyyy obvious that he was fighting people that had genuinely been training their entire lives. He looked sloppy AF! But also you can tell Finn doesn't have a good grasp of the character considering how he's been handling criticisms of the show...

• Like 3

I think there are a lot of problems with IF and it's not just that Finn Jones isn't as an experienced actor as, say, Krysten Ritter.

sycasey 2.0 pointed out there was a problem with the show-running by Scott Buck. I don't think they had a real "take" on the character. I think they wanted him to be a "grittier" version of Iron Fist (since that's Netflix's aesthetic) but it didn't work. He sounded too silly spouting the Kun Lun stuff. And in order to do the whole "Danny learns that killing people is bad" arc they had to take away much of what is good about him in the comics, which I think Cameron H is noting, that he is pure of spirit.

They also seemed to think the "Colleen was secretly raised by the Hand" would be a cool plot twist, but that was also really against her comic book character. There were a lot of bad decisions.

Plus the NEVER acknowledged the problem of racism with the character, which was also a problem in DOCTOR STRANGE. They wanted another white ninja but never stopped to think, "Well what makes him not a pale imitation of Daredevil then?" Nor did I think Finn Jones responded to the criticism well which was annoying.

Our friend Lewis Tan also pointed on in the Bruce Lee podcast that Jones didn't get to spend much time in the gym for stunts. He complimented Jessica Henwick's work ethic with the stunts, but said you could tell Jones wasn't really doing his stunts. And I also think THAT is a big problem. Because you have to BELIEVE that Iron Fist could take out a dragon. I am not sure if that was due to scheduling (it's difficult to do a lot of stunt training if you are in most every scene) but I think between seasons Jones needs to really work on that. And also acting.

I mean when you see Finn Jones in interviews he seems like kind of a silly, happy guy. I don't understand why they don't lean into that.

• Like 3

Well good news Scott Buck has left ruining Iron Fist to go ruin the Inhumans!

Really it all seems to come down to Marvel TV having no sense of humor whatsoever.

Really it all seems to come down to Marvel TV having no sense of humor whatsoever.

I disagree with this, though. I think Jessica and Luke both have great humor despite both shows covering very dark subjects (mind control, rape, sexism, racism, gangs, etc..). And I think that the fun bickering between Matt and Jessica really shines as being full of humor in a dark setting.

• Like 3

I think there are a lot of problems with IF and it's not just that Finn Jones isn't as an experienced actor as, say, Krysten Ritter.

Krysten is fuckin perfect and I think she shines the best when she goes from Jessica's cynical tone to an upbeat voice in a heartbeat. I definitely saw the shades of when she did Gia from Veronica Mars or Chloe from Don't Trust the B.

Also Finn was one of the most boring parts of Game of Thrones so honestly were any of us surprised???

• Like 2

In addition, by the time Iron Fist season 1 was premiering, they were already filming the Defenders finale, so there wasn't any wiggle room to make adjustments to the IF character.

Speaking of wishlists, I would love a Netflix Marvel show that leans more comedic, involving Hellcat or Squirrel Girl (or both).

• Like 3

I disagree with this, though. I think Jessica and Luke both have great humor despite both shows covering very dark subjects (mind control, rape, sexism, racism, gangs, etc..). And I think that the fun bickering between Matt and Jessica really shines as being full of humor in a dark setting.

The other shows have moments of humor (even Iron Fist attempts it occasionally), but the overall tone I always find so serious and dour. It's not as poor a fit for the other other characters as it was for Danny Rand, but it's definitely a trend.

It's weird how Marvel movies are perfectly comfortable doing goofy shit, but their shows try so hard to avoid that tone (and DC does exactly the opposite).

• Like 3

Speaking of wishlists, I would love a Netflix Marvel show that leans more comedic, involving Hellcat or Squirrel Girl (or both).

I have to agree. Everything is just so dire all the time. You can't even appreciate it when things are going well for the characters, because everything, even victory, is bleak and dark and rain-soaked. And when they do try to throw some humor in these shows, it doesn't really land. You get a couple of chuckles, but often it just seems forced.

• Like 2

Ryan North's Squirrel Girl would be excellent.

I think the problem is that we're so bogged down with people who get powers and then don't want to use them or ashamed of them. We don't really have that character that's like "I want to be a super hero. I enjoy having powers."

• Like 3

The other shows have moments of humor (even Iron Fist attempts it occasionally), but the overall tone I always find so serious and dour. It's not as poor a fit for the other other characters as it was for Danny Rand, but it's definitely a trend.

It's weird how Marvel movies are perfectly comfortable doing goofy shit, but their shows try so hard to avoid that tone (and DC does exactly the opposite).

Not knowing Danny's character very well, it didn't seem like it didn't fit to me. Maybe that is another reason why I didn't like it? Maybe because I couldn't take Danny seriously but there was never anything but seriousness involved? I think that's another issue with Finn is that he genuinely can't land those jokes like Krysten or Charlie or Mike can.

I have to agree. Everything is just so dire all the time. You can't even appreciate it when things are going well for the characters, because everything, even victory, is bleak and dark and rain-soaked. And when they do try to throw some humor in these shows, it doesn't really land. You get a couple of chuckles, but often it just seems forced.

Do you think this about all the shows? Cause I still think that jokes that Jessica has are all rather solid and don't appear forced at all.

• Like 1

I think the problem is that we're so bogged down with people who get powers and then don't want to use them or ashamed of them. We don't really have that character that's like "I want to be a super hero. I enjoy having powers."

That's an interesting point, but I think Danny is definitely a character that wants to have his powers. It was just where he needed to actually use them that seemed to be the issue for him. But I also like that Luke, Jess, and Matt all have very different reasons for their refusal to accept their abilities.

• Like 2

Krysten is fuckin perfect and I think she shines the best when she goes from Jessica's cynical tone to an upbeat voice in a heartbeat. I definitely saw the shades of when she did Gia from Veronica Mars or Chloe from Don't Trust the B.

Also Finn was one of the most boring parts of Game of Thrones so honestly were any of us surprised???

This isn't a criticism of Ritter, but I felt like the writers (on the Defenders) were trying to hard with her sometimes and it didn't always work. Like in her first scene with Trish every sentence out of her mouth is a quip just to tell the people (who didn't watch Jessica Jones) what a badass she is. Also, it's like they couldn't let audience figure it out for themselves that she had a drinking problem without 5 scenes in a row where it easy either implied or directly addressed. I just found it very heavy handed and obnoxious. Certainly it was a part of her show, but it felt like on this they had to dial it up to eleven. Just have her wake up in that bar, and that's it. They did a lot of great character work with her in her own show, and at least for the first episode, she just comes off as "cynical alcoholic." Then again, the only Defender I thought came off decently in that first episode was DD.

But- we talked about this earlier - the show doesn't really get good until the characters are all together. It's just disappointing that it took three episodes for us to get there. Once they're together, everyone comes off much better.

• Like 1

Do you think this about all the shows? Cause I still think that jokes that Jessica has are all rather solid and don't appear forced at all.

Out of all of them, her delivery feels the most natural :)

• Like 1

For real Defenders Spoiler below! Open at your own risk!

Also, can we stop announcing new shows if our cliffhanger is going to be "we think that guy is dead?" They announced Season 3 of Daredevil WEEKS ago! Way to rob your story of any kind of emotional impact.

• Like 1

The Cap'n cannot be of this planet. His lines make no sense. "You smell like a fire hydrant." That's not something people say. And later, he says "You hold down the fort...whatever that means." He is absolutely an interplanetary bounty hunter, responsible for capturing creatures like the GPKs.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who the eyes behind the painting belong to? It's not the Cap'n, as he doesn't know they are out of the pail. Maybe it's one of the missing friends?

When the pail gets knocked over at the beginning, it's high on a shelf. Why would it be up there? Up until this point, it's been on the floor, and the Cap'n just put a helmet on it, so he seemed satisfied with that solution.

At one point, the GPKs refer to regular people as "normies". This is what the neo-nazis call non-neo-nazis now online. Obviously, the neo-nazis are big fans of this movie, and must be stopped for that simple fact.

• Like 4

Also, can we stop announcing new shows if our cliffhanger is going to be "we think that guy is dead?" They announced Season 3 of Daredevil WEEKS ago! Way to rob your story of any kind of emotional impact.

I genuinely missed that announcement and was sobbing through that final episode..... lololol

• Like 1

Or what about...

the random Punisher teaser as a post-credits scene? It would have been different had there been a Punisher cameo in the Defenders, but otherwise it felt so out of place.

• Like 1

Out of all of them, her delivery feels the most natural :)

Krysten Ritter sells it better than anyone, but it's still part of the same trend with these shows.

• Like 2

About 56 minutes in, when Dodger is getting in the car with Tangerine the second time, there are three people passing a basketball around in the street, no hoop to be found, no shooting.

Not unlike...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15874-1388161292-20.gif

• Like 9