🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 169 - The Garbage Pail Kids Movie: LIVE!

My favorite thing about the State Home for Ugly People was that it housed prisoners who were deemed too old, but the security guards were all old. The bikers appeared to all fit the bill to be categorized as ugly too. I personally just feel cheated that we never got to see the Garbage Pail-Verse come to full maturity. I'm very interested in what other places exist in this universe, like the Non-Union Sweat Shop

• Like 1

I genuinely missed that announcement and was sobbing through that final episode..... lololol

These are still spoilers for the end of The Defenders...

I wish I had...That must have been amazing to be able to watch that and not know.

It used to be knowing those things didn't really bother me as long as the story was good. Like, if it's good, you're going to make me feel something whether I know it's coming or not. But lately, things like that really bug me. For the first time in my life, I find I'm not clicking on those links. For instance, don't tell me anything about the new Star Wars. I don't want to know who's in the cast - nothing. I just want it to unfold for me. Unfortunately, I find that the headlines to those articles do most of the spoiling themselves.

• Like 1

Quick poll:

What's grossest?

A. Colleen kissing Danny

B. Danny eating a dumpling

C. The Garbage Pail Kids

• Like 1

Quick poll:

What's grossest?

A. Colleen kissing Danny

C. The Garbage Pail Kids

respond-to-it.gif

• Like 3

Quick poll:

What's grossest?

A. Colleen kissing Danny

C. The Garbage Pail Kids

That poor, innocent dumpling.

• Like 2

That poor, innocent dumpling.

Shoved in his mouth with his poor chopsticks game.

Really it all seems to come down to Marvel TV having no sense of humor whatsoever.

Hopefully that'll change with them getting into the sitcom game with New Warriors.

Personally, I think Agents of SHIELD has had a couple of funny moments, and as it was pointed out Luke and Jessica are capable of a couple of good chuckle-worthy lines and moments here and there.

• Like 1

Shoved in his mouth with his poor chopsticks game.

If only Danny had a true master to teach him proper technique....

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Am I the only one wishing the end credit scene for the Defenders was the owner of the Chinese food restaurant now owning a giant building as the new home for his business and a slew of sports cars to be used for delivery after Danny gave him his black card?

• Like 3

Am I the only one wishing the end credit scene for the Defenders was the owner of the Chinese food restaurant now owning a giant building as the new home for his business and a slew of sports cars to be used for delivery after Danny gave him his black card?

I wish the end credits scene was Finn Jones apologizing for anything he did with his mouth during the whole show - kissing, eat dumplings, speaking...

Also, the writers apologizing for (REAL SPOILER AHEAD)

Wasting our time and Sigourney Weaver's talent. I'm still not over that horseshit.

• Like 2

Lucky for anyone who reads comics, the character of Iron Fist, and the rest of the Defenders cast, are all in good hands at the moment. Brian Michael Bendis has been doing a Defenders comic with Cage, Jones, Iron Fist, and Daredevil and it's fucking great. I know it's not the classic cast of Defenders (Dr. Strange, Hulk, Namor, Silver Surfer), but Bendis has such love for these characters, he knows them so well, that it's simply a joy to read. I admittedly have a Writer Crush on Bendis, but I think this comic is fantastic superhero shenanigans. Plus, the art by David Marquez is flat-out amazing. He gets the physicality of these characters, their movement and their posture, like a true master. I highly recommend it.

503250._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

• Like 2

I wish the end credits scene was Finn Jones apologizing for anything he did with his mouth during the whole show - kissing, eat dumplings, speaking...

Also, the writers apologizing for (REAL SPOILER AHEAD)

Wasting our time and Sigourney Weaver's talent. I'm still not over that horseshit.

Yeah I still don't get that one outside of the Marvel formula of having a name actor, usually one that's been nominated or won an Oscar, to anchor the project with name recognition.

• Like 1

Pluuuuuuus, the solo Iron Fist book has everything you could want in an Iron Fist story. Danny Rand is a brash yet insecure dude who fights with Kung-Fu magic against real weird bad guys who wield even weirder Kung-Fu magic. Mystical lands! Face-punching! Gratuitous naming of special moves!

background.jpg

And there was the absolutely flat-out amazing Immortal Iron Fist run from Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, and David Aja from about ten years ago. Oh man, that was so good.

• Like 2

Hopefully that'll change with them getting into the sitcom game with New Warriors.

Personally, I think Agents of SHIELD has had a couple of funny moments, and as it was pointed out Luke and Jessica are capable of a couple of good chuckle-worthy lines and moments here and there.

Agents of SHIELD does tell jokes, just usually not well.

Agent Carter was probably the funniest Marvel show, but that didn't last too long (personally I really liked it).

• Like 4

Agent Carter was probably the funniest Marvel show, but that didn't last too long (personally I really liked it).

...but she will be in our hearts forever.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

...but she will be in our hearts forever.

giphy.gif

I actually was just thinking about when I got to meet her at a con and told her how much this one line meant to me. I really loved this show.

• Like 5

A certain someone just posted on instagram that they were a guest at a live show this weekend!!! I'm of course freaking out cause that certain someone is in one of the best comedies on TV right now!

tumblr_otav0kFR121w8y0vto1_500.gif

So if we buy the idea that the GPK are from space (although i agree with the idea that the opening credits outer space sequence was probably tacked on in post), why do the kids both resemble earth-bound stereotypes, with punny names? These characters emerge fully-formed from the goo, presumably are ageless (so are not growing older, even though they're all 'kids' by name but older by action), but also have their identities immediately established, so much so that they introduce themselves by their defining characteristic. Now, I can get that a kid named Winston who grows up with an issue with flatulence might either be nicknamed or self-styled as 'Windy Winston', much in the way that if his name was Frank at birth, he might be 'Farty Frank', but what about 'Ali Gator'? That's not a nickname based on his actions, that's a definition of his species. An earthly species, by the way, which further complicates the space alien suggestion.

As Paul points out (and Jon emphasises), 'Valerie Vomit' only vomits once, which means that sometime in her past Valerie vomited enough to make this her defining characteristic. And 'Greaser Greg' is based on a 50's stereotype that's at least 20 years old at the time of this movie, meaning that kids watching the film would have no idea what a greaser is: and the question must be posed. Was Greg a greaser before he was named Greaser Greg, or did he become a greaser because that's what his name was? What about Foul Phil? He's pretty foul, yes, but what baby isn't? Is Nat Nerd a nerd because of his interests, or because he was called a nerd from birth, hence he figures he might as well just be a nerd? There is a serious thread of nature vs. nurture throughout this movie, where people become the things that we say they are, and that's their defining characteristic for their whole lives. Except for Ali Gator. That's just a lazy-ass pun.

• Like 5

Forum Game!

What's your GPK name (and describe the card)?

Candied CAMERON - my GPK with a head like a candy apple with a bite taken out of it. (Of course, a worm will be coming out of the bite.) It should also look like I'm chewing as if I somehow took a bite out of my own head.

Cl-ass-y CAM - my GPK getting out of a limo drunk and smoking cigarettes while paparazzi take photos. My sequined dress is too short and you can tell I'm not wearing any underwear.

Chthonic CAM - my GPK as a gigantic, hooded Elder God with tentacles for a mouth. As lightning crackles behind me, I'm throwing enormous 12 sided dice at other GPK's that have been driven to madness from gazing upon my unholy visage.

• Like 5

...Tangerine lays down in a very seductive position and begins questioning how old he was...

JPY76of.png

"Seductive position" softens the fact that she straight up Sharon Stone/Basic Instincts him.