🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
CLINT1032

Masters of The Universe

God this thing SUCKED. From He-Man having a laser gun instead of a sword to the whole movie basically being on Earth rather than Eternia this was horrible. I also love how most people forget that Frank Langella had some real shit roles before becoming a academay caliber actor that he is most known for being now.

This is one of my favorite movies. I own the DVD and the soundtrack. However, I totally think this is a prime candidate for the "HDTGM" treatment.

You all know this was a secret adaptation of Jack Kirby's New Gods comics, right? The movie doesn't make any sense unless you approach it with that in mind.

I would argue that it would make even LESS sense, because who else besides fans of New Gods even knows where to start as far as those characters are concerned?

Also, "Beastmaster 2" wishes it could be HALF as awesome as "Masters of the Universe".

This would be a lot of fun to do, it's *so* 80s it hurts. And the interesting thing is, Frank Langella's name doesn't even appear in the opening credits. You have to wonder if he was too embarrassed to be named.

Loved this movie when i was a kid, like all He-man shows. Watched it again recently...ouch. This is perfect for How did this get made!

This movie is for children and it starts with Courtney cox's character finding out here parents died in a plain crash. Way to go, 80s!

This movie is for children and it starts with Courtney cox's character finding out here parents died in a plain crash. Way to go, 80s!

Though they do get magically resurrected in the end.

SPOILERS!

• Like 1

This HAS to be an episode of HDTGM. It's probably the first thing I think of in this instance. Growing up adoring the animated series, I was disgusted when I saw this as a kid.

I will say that they clearly put a lot of work into the costumes in this movie, all of which matched the cartoon versions pretty darn well (other than Teela, I don't know what the hell that was about).

• Like 1

HE-MAN, guys! DOLPH LUNDGREN as He-Man, beginning with an opening track that's more or less a rip-off of the Star Wars theme.

Summary:

When the evil Skeletor (Frank Langella) finds a mysterious power called the Cosmic Key, he becomes nearly invincible. However, courageous warrior He-Man (Dolph Lundgren) locates inventor Gwildor (Billy Barty), who created the Key and has another version of it. During a battle, one of the Keys is transported to Earth, where it is found by teenagers Julie (Courteney Cox) and Kevin (Robert Duncan McNeill). Now both He-Man and Skeletor's forces arrive on Earth searching for the potent weapon

The whole thing is available on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1073&v=VVisd9ihWv0

Bumping this!

I read somewhere (maybe Twitter) that they weren't doing this because it wasn't available for streaming. Well guess what?

giphy.gif

(Monster Squad is also coming in September, which is very much on the top of my personal wish list)

• Like 2

I just watched it since it got added. I remember seeing this when I was ten and not liking how different from the cartoon it was. It is SO 80's. It's not as bad as other movies they've covered on the podcast though. It's hokey, but clearly aimed at a younger audience.

But why did Courtney Cox's character think that taking away the keys would stop her parents from leaving? Cabs still existed.

Was so happy with the HDTGM episode for this movie. Well spotted, whomever nominated it! :)

Sign in to follow this