🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 170 - Bratz

Great episode, btw!

When Jade is tutoring the dumb jocks she writes an equation on the board and asks them: "x + y + z divided by 3?" Now, I'm not a "maths" guy so I could very well be wrong, but since she doesn't give a value for any either x, y, or z, isn't the answer the equation itself?

• Like 7

Am I the only one who couldn't look at Yasmin's bubbie without thinking of Lainie Kazan in 'Gigli', getting Ben Affleck to inject her with a syringe in the ass, over a too-tight exposed thong? That image is going with me throughout the rest of my life.

• Like 4

Second thought (not done with podcast): Can we get an Etsy shop to repaint Bratz dolls into BIG BRATZ?

I like Wendy Tsao's work too.

When Jade is tutoring the dumb jokes she writes an equation on the board and asks them: "x + y + z divided by 3?" Now, I'm not a "maths" guy so I could very well be wrong, but since she doesn't give a value for any either x, y, or z, isn't the answer the equation itself?

Uh, duh. The answer is (a touchdown + an extra point + safety) divided by a field goal.

• Like 6

Great episode, btw!

When Jade is tutoring the dumb jokes she writes an equation on the board and asks them: "x + y + z divided by 3?" Now, I'm not a "maths" guy so I could very well be wrong, but since she doesn't give a value for any either x, y, or z, isn't the answer the equation itself?

That got me too. I was going to rewind it to see if I missed something on the board but by that point I couldn't bring myself to press the rewind button

• Like 2

Uh, duh. The answer is (a touchdown + an extra point + safety) divided by a field goal.

Was it? I must have tuned out...

I just rewatched the scene and you're right, but she doesn't give them those values when she initially asks the question. When they don't know how to answer, she gives them an "oooooookayyyyy" like she's dealing with a bunch of fucking slugs. You didn't give them any values! You can't treat them like morons, asshole!

• Like 4

If only I understood football...
  • Like 5

Correction/Omission: that girl's dad in the opening isn't reacting to the mother like "ugh, women". When the doorbell rings, he says to tell her mother that she has to take you to the dentist on Thursday. Then the mother comes in & says tell your father he has to take you to the dentist on Thursday.

I'm not great with details, I only watched nine minutes of the movie. Pretty much the only thing I can remember.

• Like 5

I'm surprised the gang didn't point out that the head cheerleader was played by none other than Sasha Cohen, the American Olympic figure skater.

1-26-sasha-cohen-4_3.jpg

• Like 8

I'm surprised the gang didn't point out that the head cheerleader was played by none other than Sasha Cohen, the American Olympic figure skater.

I didn't catch this either! But I did catch that she wore a tiara THE ENTIRE MOVIE.

• Like 7

I just rewatched the scene and you're right, but she doesn't give them those values when she initially asks the question. When they don't know how to answer, she gives them an "oooooookayyyyy" like she's dealing with a bunch of slugs suffering from severe head trauma. You didn't give them any values! You can't treat them like morons, asshole!

That's how math works. X always stands for a touchdown, right?

• Like 4

I just rewatched the scene and you're right, but she doesn't give them those values when she initially asks the question. When they don't know how to answer, she gives them an "oooooookayyyyy" like she's dealing with a bunch of slugs suffering from severe head trauma. You didn't give them any values! You can't treat them like morons, asshole!

I don't want to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure there was a long list of other things on the left side of the whiteboard that I assumed factored into the final equation. I don't think she was starting with X+Y+Z, but I also wouldn't put it past this movie.

• Like 3

I went on the Bratz wiki to see what happened to Chloe's dad. I'm embarassed by myself.

Don't leave us hanging!

• Like 2

I would love to know if there are any listeners on this board that are younger than I am, because a lot of the times I feel like the youngest, and I was already too old for this movie when it came out - being the exact age as the girls in the movie...

Spice World was definitely my movie because of exactly what Jason was saying - I was 7 when that came out and I was head over heels for everything Spice Girls related (however I still argue that shit holds up). But Bratz the dolls came out a full 6 years before this movie was made, and I wonder if by 2007 their popularity had lessened. Because my sister would have been the right age for this movie and she just didn't seem interested in them at this point.

• Like 3

Nothing to do with the movie - I just want to know how long that "second opinions" theme song really went on...

• Like 1

I don't want to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure there was a long list of other things on the left side of the whiteboard that I assumed factored into the final equation. I don't think she was starting with X+Y+Z, but I also wouldn't put it past this movie.

I looked at it again, and it does say x = (y + 2), but it seems to only apply to the nonsense equations listed on the side and not the one she's asking. Plus, that would mean a touchdowns equals (4 + 2). So her equation wouldn't make sense since an extra point (y) doesn't equal 4.

Sorry, guys, it looks like the math is all fucked up on this one...

• Like 4

I'd like to bring up a point about the timeline and hierarchy of this school.

The movie starts with our Bratz heroines starting freshman year at high school, meaning they're around 13 or 14 years old. Ignoring the fact that none of the actresses in this movie look to be that young, we are set up to follow this four through their freshman year. The question I have, is if Meredith is the same age as the Bratz, then how is she in charge of the seating chart? Even if she's a year older (as a sophomore, which makes her a senior after the flash forward in time), why are the seniors and juniors at this school allowing her to call the shots? It can't simply be to do with the fact that her father is the principal. If it weren't for the fact that the Bratz mention the two year passage of time it would be completely understandable to guess that the 'two years later' chiron was added in post (and maybe their references to it were added there too). But if the Second Super Sweet Sixteen Party dominates the second half, this means that two years prior to that, Meredith was in charge of the school as a fourteen year old. Surely a Meredith-only movie, documenting her rise to power, is necessary, along the lines of the Sharpay-only movie that followed the 'High School Musical' franchise?

I guess my main question is, why are the school's seniors so scared of this 14 year old? Seriously, Meredith, WHAT IS ON THAT FLASH DRIVE?

• Like 7

I'd like to bring up a point about the timeline and hierarchy of this school.

The movie starts with our Bratz heroines starting freshman year at high school, meaning they're around 13 or 14 years old. Ignoring the fact that none of the actresses in this movie look to be that young, we are set up to follow this four through their freshman year. The question I have, is if Meredith is the same age as the Bratz, then how is she in charge of the seating chart? Even if she's a year older (as a sophomore, which makes her a senior after the flash forward in time), why are the seniors and juniors at this school allowing her to call the shots? It can't simply be to do with the fact that her father is the principal. If it weren't for the fact that the Bratz mention the two year passage of time it would be completely understandable to guess that the 'two years later' chiron was added in post (and maybe their references to it were added there too). But if the Second Super Sweet Sixteen Party dominates the second half, this means that two years prior to that, Meredith was in charge of the school as a fourteen year old. Surely a Meredith-only movie, documenting her rise to power, is necessary, along the lines of the Sharpay-only movie that followed the 'High School Musical' franchise?

I guess my main question is, why are the school's seniors so scared of this 14 year old? Seriously, Meredith, WHAT IS ON THAT FLASH DRIVE?

I believe that Meredith is a year older than the Bratz because when her father mentions "there's always next year" in terms of the talent show she responds "this is my last year," and the Bratz were all parking in the "juniors" section (which seems to have the best parking spots...)

She also mentions A LOT that she is the student body president which is how I'm assuming she got her power, but that wouldn't make a lot of sense because there would be a president for each grade with the senior president being the one to run student council. They make it seem like there is only one person for each role and somehow Meredith beat out everyone else all four years. I wonder if it's because not only was her father the principle but everyone actually seemed relatively happy in their groups. Like no one challenged anything about this system until the Bratz came along.

How many friendships did Meredith ruin without anyone questioning her???

• Like 7

Don't leave us hanging!

The wiki left me hanging. It was all about which boyfriends she had and her various outfits. I didn't see mention of her father.

I bet someone murdered him and there is a coverup.

• Like 8

The gang talked about how they wished the actress playing Yasmin was a Latina. According to the internet, the actress, Nathalia Ramos, was born in Spain to a Spanish father and an Australian mother, who has a "Sephardic Jewish background." Maybe that explains Yasmin's "bubbie," which is a term for a Jewish grandmother. And maybe it also explains why they butchered the song La Cucaracha. The third line is "porque no tiene, porque le falta" - but the duo repeats the last phrase and sings "porque le falta, porque le falta." I'm going to blame this on the mariachi band living at their house. They should've corrected them! In addition, I'm pretty sure bubbie sings nonsense words for the last line "las dos patitas de atras."

I learned the last line "una pata para andar."

• Like 3

How many friendships did Meredith ruin without anyone questioning her???

I will say, as a small counterpoint, that Meredith's seating chart seemed to help the first handful of Freshman that came to her check in table. They all seemed pretty lost and in need of an identity/friends (especially the crying girl). I don't know where these students are coming from that they don't already have friends but it seems like the Bratz are the only girls that came into high school with existing friendships.

• Like 10

I learned the last line "una pata para andar."

Oh yes, there are lots of versions, but the one the Bratz butchered was the "atras" version.

• Like 4

I will say, as a small counterpoint, that Meredith's seating chart seemed to help the first handful of Freshman that came to her check in table. They all seemed pretty lost and in need of an identity/friends (especially the crying girl). I don't know where these students are coming from that they don't already have friends but it seems like the Bratz are the only girls that came into high school with existing friendships.

This is actually a really good point. Other than the Bratz, she's actually providing a really good service. And while she does separate people into cliques - as seen with the guest list at her party, and the parameters she sets (i.e. must belong to a social group) - she doesn't actually discourage groups from intermingling. Otherwise, her party would have just been the popular kids.

• Like 6

I believe that Meredith is a year older than the Bratz because when her father mentions "there's always next year" in terms of the talent show she responds "this is my last year," and the Bratz were all parking in the "juniors" section (which seems to have the best parking spots...)

Until I found out I missed the two years later announcement, I assumed Meredith was a senior the whole time and the clique scheme was her idea she'd built up over for years.

Now it doesn't make sense since the principal seemed to ask Meredith how his own school ran like a prison. She was able to accomplish all that as a sophomore?

• Like 5

Meredith's dog is named "Paris," and hearing that made me think about Paris Hilton for the first time in years. It's funny because, during her heyday, I always wondered how much longer Paris Hilton would be famous, and now she's not even on our radars -- just like MySpace and flip phones and using desktop computers for video chatting.

• Like 4