🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GroundWater

EARWOLF's POST-PODCAST TAG: "THE 'JOKE' DEAD"

As much as I enjoy listening to EarWolf podcasts (specifically How Did This Get Made?) on my iPod while I'm at work, I am forever dreading the conclusion of each and every show. It's because I know that as soon as the podcast is over I'm going to be getting a loud, poorly executed, Eastern European accent, followed by the most excruciating, level-peaking squeal blasting through my earholes. Not only is the body-jolting tag a queue for me to frantically rip my earbuds out of my head as quickly as I can, but--when it comes right down to it--it's not even that funny.

I'm seriously not tryin' to hate on EarWolf, here, because I genuinely believe they have some really solid content. Still, (as a listener) the whole point of these podcasts is to be entertaining and enjoyed, and, frankly, I personally find it somewhat difficult to fully get lost in the festivities knowing that within the hour I'm going to have to undeservingly defend myself from getting ear-fucked by the brutal slaughter of an imaginary wolf brought upon by a confusing, second-rate Russian stereotype.

If I'm alone in this, I will humbly accept the irony that, in the spirit of How Did This Get Made, there was a small group of people, somewhere, who heard this 10 second sound-byte (or however long it is) and then all agreed that this was the best possible way for them to ultimately conclude their featured programming. I bask in the fact that--at the end of the day--I'm still able to listen and have a fun time.

Indeed.

GroundWater,

I'm glad you are enjoying the content Earwolf has to offer as much I am. I haven't experienced the loudness or level-peaking issue that I think you are on this sound byte, but what (and I'm assuming most listeners) appreciate about this small clip, is the memory of the show it came from. I don't know the episode (I bet Intern Caroline does by heart) but the poorly executed Eastern European accent is actually Nick Kroll as El Chupacabra - the best Latin Radio DJ EVER. Here's a a clip from Comedy Bang Bang wherein a familiar Paul Scheer is the guest and Chupacabra take some calls.

i dont know if we are voting here, but i vote keep it. but i agree, i assume el chupacabra doesnt do a good russian impression, thats why i appreciate the fact that he doesnt try

I'm perfectly OK with being 'wrong' here. If EarWolf was purposely using the outro knowing the audience hated it, well, that would just make them assholes (and I'm glad this is not the case). I'm sure that under normal listening settings (while still not very funny, in my opinion), the sound-byte is perfectly fine and manageable. However, I listen to the majority of these podcasts while I'm at work, where it is loud and there's a lot of stuff goin' on, so in order to hear the actual podcast I have to turn the volume way up on my iPod---thus, making the loud squeals at the end even louder and squealier.
I don't bring up the topic as another lonely internet naysayer, or as a call to arms against the EarWolf machine, or even as a slight against Nick Krull or any of his other Bobby Bottleservice-type characters. It's just, genuinely, really hard on my eardrums. But, far be it from me to throw a wrench into everyone else's good time. This is surely not my style.
Enjoy your wolf slaughtering, EarWolf Nation. Enjoy your wolf slaughtering.

May I suggest investing in a pair of headphones with a play/pause button built into the wiring? The convenience of being able to pause or skip the ending with only a click may ease some of the crushing dread you seem to be facing.

I agree that it's always 10X louder than everything else, and there's no way this is the first complaint about it.

To be honest, I am disappointed when an Earwolf podcast ends without 'The Wolf Dead.' I'm looking at you, Bob Ducca.

I am growing weary of the ending. It is about 20 seconds long and feels much longer. The audio is always a mismatch which is jarring. This is coming from a long time fan that has heard (and re-listened to) the original Comedy Death Ray episode that the clip originated from. I try to fast forward past the ending whenever I can.

Never given this a thought, in both earbuds and pro DJ headphones I've never had the outro clip or be any louder than the rest of the podcast, or be annoying in any other way. It feels relatively short. I don't think it's supposed to be funny, other than in the context of the original episode (must be one of the few CDRs I haven't heard yet). I can see how some people would find the screeching voice annoying, but IMO it's not that bad. My advice: Listen to one episode of the Lavender Hour podcast with Natasha Leggero's screeching laugh, from then on all else will pale in comparison on the annoying meter.

El Chupacabra is Russian?

Sign in to follow this