🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dylanbydesign

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)

TCM: NG is THE craziest movie I have EVER seen in my life. Me and my friends watch it all the time and have a great time. Absolute insanity, hilarious.

Jennifers Body is also hilarious with crazy and out of place dialogue. A great awesomely bad horror movie

(either way these are good Halloween time movies)

Holy shit is this movie insane. From a crossdressing Leatherface to the illuminate being behind the cannibal family, this movie has everything deserving of a HDTGM episode outside of having Nic Cage in it. Even more shocking is this features both Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey before they became mainstream stars.

Whenever people bitch about Platinum Dunes re-making horror movies and shitting all over the legacies of their beloved franchises, THIS is the movie that I like to remind people of to show them just how wrong they are. I don't think that anyone would even remember it (hell, it probably wouldn't have even been released outside of bootlegs) if it wasn't for the stars of it getting so big so soon after making it. The Texas Chainsaw series as a whole was pretty piss-poor and just mostly coasted on the goodwill of the first one, so depending on what you think of Part 2, the Michael Bay-produced remake from about a decade ago is AT LEAST the third best film in the series.

On a (kind of) sort of interesting note, it was around the time that this movie was made that ALL of the big horror franchises were going completely off the rails and adding supernatural elements to what had been otherwise perfectly fine formulaic movies. Jason had just become a body-hopping demon, Michael Myers had become the angel of death for some cult or another, and even Freddy, a character that was already supernatural in nature, had ambitions to escape his cinematic prison and hop into OUR world. The slasher was, for all intents and purposes, dead, and you couldn't even count on a guy (?) with a chainsaw to keep shit real anymore :(

Yeah they all went pretty wacky, though New Nightmare and Jason Goes to Hell weren't that bad. The Halloween series was terrible after the second one, which is why I was kind of surprised that the third one hasn't been done by this show yet. TCM was a great horror movie in how shocking it truly was with shoving women on meathooks and carving up guys in wheelchairs. The second one was kind of crazy, though that always happens when you have Dennis Hopper in a cowboy hat dancing with chainsaws. But Next Generation had a tranny Leatherface and the illuminati guy had like scars and nipple rings in his chest, just next level insanity. Althought the nympho "bride" to McConaughey had a sweet rack that she loved showing off to any guy who honked his horn.

I just re-watched Jason Goes to Hell for the first time in forever, and while I loved it when I was 15, I do have to say that it's EXACTLY that bad. Jason X though? That movie is AWESOME.

Oh god Jason X is fucking terrible, from nipples that fall off a robot to the teacher saying that Jason is okay now that he was given his machete, slasher movies need to stay out of space.

I don't know about Jennifer's Body, but I agree that they need to discuss Texas Chainsaw Massacre: the Next Generation. Matthew McConaughey''s robot leg (shades of I Know Who Killed Me) and the insane bizarre revelation that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was apparently (and I'm not kidding) funded by the forces of evil. That's right, Leatherface got funding!

It was an Illuminati experiment to see how people reacted to their worst fear or something like that but I knew that's who the group was.

I enjoyed Jennifer's Body. It's not a straight-up horror film, it's a very deliberate mix of styles (teen/drama/comedy). It didn't all work, but I don't think it's an out and out bad movie.

Surprised to not see this gem of a turd listed yet.

17% Rotten Tomatoes Rating. So, so, so bad. Maybe an idea for next years halloween special I guess. A movie so bad McConaughey tried to keep it from being released theatrically.

This is actually a good idea. The title itself deserves at least a 15 minute discussion. Just everyone arguing at each other and figuring out what the title is supposed to mean and how it got on the box.

You know how sometimes a film has a strange title, that doesn't make sense until your 90 minutes in and a character kinda organically SAYS the title out of nowhere. I really wanted that impossible thing to happen in this film...

You know how sometimes a film has a strange title, that doesn't make sense until your 90 minutes in and a character kinda organically SAYS the title out of nowhere. I really wanted that impossible thing to happen in this film...

That is a mildly infuriating thing that constantly annoys me -- the need to have a character say the title of the film within the film.

"What if this is AS GOOD AS IT GETS?"

"She was the girl, I know that now. I've spent every day since then CHASING AMY."

"Each one of us is a brain... and an athlete... and a basket case... a princess... and a criminal... does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, THE BREAKFAST CLUB."

That last one really bugs me because it's so shoehorned into the end of the movie and at no point in the movie do the characters go "oh hey, we're the breakfast club now, cool". There's tons of egregious examples of this. I hate this almost as much as when bands have a song that is also their band name (the worst thing I can think of is "In A Big Country" by the band Big Country from the album "Big Country").

Was filmed in 1994, got a limited release the next year as "Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre". It wasn't until both Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey gained exposure for their roles in "Jerry Maguire" and "A Time to Kill" that the film's studio tried to capitalize on their newfound fame by rereleasing it as "Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation" in 1997, and I think both of them wish they should've never done that.

1 was original, 2 was great 80's horror, 3 was amazing 90's horror, Next Generation was terrible, and every movie afterwards is garbage.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there was another thread somewhere (it was also called the Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so maybe it is under that.)

But this movie is bonkers. McConaughey has a malfunctioning robot leg and then in the end we find out that the Leatherface family RECEIVES FUNDING! FUNDING FOR THEIR MURDERS BY SOME RICH SATAN WORSHIPER! It's crazy.

Red Band Trailer

1 was original, 2 was great 80's horror, 3 was amazing 90's horror, Next Generation was terrible, and every movie afterwards is garbage.

Part 3 was pretty weak, and my gore hound 12-year-old self even thought it was pretty bad. I remember there being a lot of controversy about the violence, so it was a must-see, but it was really kind of tame. I think it's more interesting to watch now though as a Viggo Mortensen flick. As far as the series goes, pretty much EVERY movie after the second one is essentially a remake, and like "Halloween", it seems to coast a lot on the goodwill of the original. People got all up in arms about the Platinum Dunes remake, but even if you like the second one, the 2003 remake is AT LEAST the third best in the series. "Next Generation" is pure dog shit, and it looks like it was shot on a camcorder.

I'm pretty sure there was another thread somewhere (it was also called the Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so maybe it is under that.)

But this movie is bonkers. McConaughey has a malfunctioning robot leg and then in the end we find out that the Leatherface family RECEIVES FUNDING! FUNDING FOR THEIR MURDERS BY SOME RICH SATAN WORSHIPER! It's crazy.

Red Band Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAIGhNprck

This was right around the time that EVERY slasher franchise was getting unnecessarily supernatural, even if they were supernatural to begin with. There's what you mentioned here, and then you had Jason become a body-hopping demonic force of nature, while Michael Myers was the (dare I say) hatchet man for some druid cult, and Freddy Krueger was invading the real world. Leprechaun and Pinhead were all "Fuck this noise", and headed off to space. Thank God for "Scream" coming along so that everyone could spend the next few years ripping THAT off.

The weird thing is that it isn't strictly supernatural, it's that an evil guy is giving backwoods hicks money for murdering people.

The weird thing is that it isn't strictly supernatural, it's that an evil guy is giving backwoods hicks money for murdering people.

Maybe I was thinking for of the weird Stonehenge cult stuff from "Halloween 3". Still, people think all the recent remakes are raping their childhoods? All the shitty overconvoluted sequels of my teens years did a far worse job of that. I'll take a bland rehash over a continuation of "Jason Goes to Hell" any day.

It was also co-written by one of the original creators of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre who wasn't Tobe Hooper.

from IMDB.com

"Intended by director Kim Henkel to be the "real" sequel to the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The characters of Vilmer and W.E. were intended to be the Hitchhiker and Cook characters from the original film. Jim Siedow was approached to reprise his Cook character, but was unable to."

It was also co-written by one of the original creators of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre who wasn't Tobe Hooper.

from IMDB.com

"Intended by director Kim Henkel to be the "real" sequel to the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The characters of Vilmer and W.E. were intended to be the Hitchhiker and Cook characters from the original film. Jim Siedow was approached to reprise his Cook character, but was unable to."

It's like all of the "...of the Dead" stuff written by the guy that ISN'T George Romero. The comics are good and trashy, but "Children of the Dead", which spins out of the additional material shot for the 30th anniversary edition of NOTLD (think "Star Wars" special editions) is a hate crime, and I was never into "Return of the Living Dead", except for part 3, which he didn't have anything to do with.

Part 3 was pretty weak, and my gore hound 12-year-old self even thought it was pretty bad. I remember there being a lot of controversy about the violence, so it was a must-see, but it was really kind of tame. I think it's more interesting to watch now though as a Viggo Mortensen flick. As far as the series goes, pretty much EVERY movie after the second one is essentially a remake, and like "Halloween", it seems to coast a lot on the goodwill of the original. People got all up in arms about the Platinum Dunes remake, but even if you like the second one, the 2003 remake is AT LEAST the third best in the series. "Next Generation" is pure dog shit, and it looks like it was shot on a camcorder.

I actually liked part 3... took me forever to find it on VHS (directors cut) back in the day, had to special order it from a Suncoast Video store (my favorite place to hang out in the mall)

This movie would be perfect for the Austin show in May!!! Texas born actors as the leads and filmed in Pfulgerville Texas, located just north of Austin. I bet you could get McConaughey's brother Rooster McConaughey to be on the panel!!! He's a riot and has his own show called West Texas Investors Club.

Sign in to follow this