🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
baloney sandwich

Death Wish 3 (1985)

From the mail order bazooka, to the multi-ethnic gang with reverse mohawks, to old people standing up for themselves! This DW has it all.

Ol' Charlie Bronson shooting thugs for near 45 minutes strait, not to mention beating guys with the same tire iron prop he found in TWO DIFFERENT places in TWO DIFFERENT scenes! Classic! Classic! Classic!

After two pretty good Death Wish movies, which were some what gorunded in reality, you get the film that transforms Charles Bronson from a man to a legend, or something like that.

Synopsis: Paul Kersey the vigilante from the first two movies, goes to visit his old Korean war buddy in New York. He arrives to find his friend dead. After being falsely arrest, the Chief of Police decides to give the old vigilante a license to kill the street thugs that are terrorizing the city, in exchange for dropping the charges.

- First, by the time Charles Bronson is making this movie he is easily in his early 60's.

- Second, his love interest is easily half his age.

- Third, the villan is awesome. Manny Fraker, the man with the backwards mohawk, leads a gang of punks terrorizing the city.

- Alex Winter from Bill and Ted's has a small role as one of the punks

- Willdey

- A villan called the Giggler.

- A cop gives Paul Kersey, Bronson, a license to kill within 10 minutes of the movie starting.

- An awesome closing scene.

Everything about this movie is entertaining, ridiculous, and over the top. My friends and I, have watched easily thirty times in the 5 years. It is terrible film making at it's best.

Enjoy.

I don't know if everyone would agree with the first two being good. I've heard from multiple people that the second movie is one of the most repulsive things ever filmed.

But number 3. Isn't that the one where he uses a grenade launcher on someone within about five feet of him? I've seen that clip so many times and it's just hilarious. Especially the guy's goofy expression.

Any of the Death Wish films are perfect candidates (let's not forget 4 and 5). I second this recommendation.

Death Wish movies were a guilty pleasure of my youth.. they used to play them on late night tv and Bronson was this amazing bad-ass vigilante without good looks or emotion. It was like an Eastwood movie but more real world basis.. sure it was over the top but being set in a cityscape with a violent revenge plot that gave out anti-hero cause was somehow engaging.

The critics hated it for its violence without enough comedic elements to make it escapist.. the people loved it because it was just so vicious in intent and dispensed with much of the Hollywood stuff that reminds you that its just a movie. By DW3 there was more hollywood quipping and less plot for sure. Its notable for 0% critical response on Rotten Tomatoes and yet a 5.5% on IMDB and how Michael Winner and Charles Bronson worked together on each movie.

What is horrifying is that Stallone wants to reboot it with him starring.. and afyer the abomination of get carter too.

It's the typical 80's action setup: inner city crime, incompetent police force and a vigilante. But this time... holy shit I have no words for it. Or actually I do, and it's the following garbled mess of an argument for you guys to review this movie.

I haven't seen any other Death Wish movies and I probably never will, because it's impossible to beat this instalment in the series. Everything here is just batshit insane. So many unintentionally funny scenes, so much racism, so little logic, so many unexplainable choices, so many poorly acted scenes ("They killed the giggler man.... THEY KILLED THE GIGGLER") the worst on screen romance ever, Charles Bronson looks like he doesn't give a flying fuck throughout the entire movie, Jimmy Paiges synth heavy soundtrack drowning out every scene and a completely reprehensible moral ("Oh my lor- It's the creep...that stole mah pocketbook three weeks ago! He's DEAD! Heyyy! Praise to God he's gone! ((unintelligible)) He's DEAD! Right on! Right on! Right on!").

Crank 1 & 2 are amazing ridiculous movies, where the filmmakers intentionally went over the top. So in a way, it's not really a bad film. Death Wish 3 is an unintentionally ridiculous movie, and movies like that can sometimes just be plain shitty and boring. Not this one. This is such a bad movie it transcends its badness and becomes hilariously enjoyable.

This post is a garbled mess because I find it hard to contain my excitement over this movie, but just check out some of the reviews and look at some clips on youtube. There is sooo much to talk about here and I would love to hear your perspective on it!

Also, keep up the awesome work!

BTW, get Tom Scharpling to be the guest! He talks about this movie ALL THE TIME and has some really funny comments on it

This movie is long overdue for the HDTGM treatment.

An ancient Charles Bronson vs. the cast of an Andrew Lloyd Weber musical from the 80s. This is easily the high point of the absurdity that was Cannon Films.

In fact, a whole Cannon retrospective could be kicked off with this masterpiece.

Long live the Giggler.

The fun game to play during this movie is to spot the location, New York or London. The London scenes stick out like sore thumbs it's ridiculous.

Also, special mention to Jimmy Page's re-cycled score from DWII.

Also also, Marina Sirtis getting gang-raped by Bill from Bill & Ted, among others....

I really wish they would do this one. What happened to Michael Winner? How did he go from the super gritty Death Wish to the cartoon that is Death Wish 3. That said I consider this to be one of the most watchable films ever. If it's on TV I have to watch it. I think it was AMC that used to do "Can't get enough Death WIsh" week a few years back. That was a great day to have off work. I work the weekend shift and I remember years ago I had the flu really bad and was off sick. It just happened to be "Can't get enough Death Wish" week. It was so worth being sick for.

Bumping this as I just rewatched the Cannon doc, Electric Boogaloo. There is a segment on DW3 that never ceases to amaze me. Blake Harris could probably write a book let alone an article based on what is alluded to in the documentary. Did someone say Oral History of Death Wish 3?

I know some people complained about the run of Cannon films last year. But HDTGM would be failing in their mission if this masterpiece is not covered. It's the original Crank, only everything is unintentional.

Make it a live double feature with Chuck Norris's Invasion USA and you have two legendary podcasts waiting to happen.

I know some people complained about the run of Cannon films last year.

Who are these people? Show them to me. I'd watch a zillion trashy Cannon/Globus/etc movies over Surf Ninjas any day of the week.

Death Wish 3 rules. My favorite Charles Bronson moment isn't even from a Death Wish film though, it's from a 1974 Richard Fleischer (Tora! Tora! Tora!) movie based on an Elmore Leonard novel called Mr. Majestyk. In it, Bronson plays a gentle watermelon farmer who goes up against the mob. They do not care for his watermelons.

*looks like some bozo added in the guy crying sound, but you get the idea.

Sign in to follow this