🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SaraK

Blast From the Past (1999)

My friend and I were joking halfheartedly about the news cycle and this movie came up. Good lord its weird.

A naive man (Brendan Fraser) comes out into the world after spending 35 years in a nuclear fallout shelter.

• Like 1

This is a terrible movie for sure. I do like it though. It's in that sweet spot of the 90's when I was the EXACT demographic it was made for. Brendan Frasier I think is super charming, Sissy Spacek is hilarious, Christopher Walken is Christopher Walken and we even get 90's Dave Foley. I think Alicia Silverstone is the weakest of the cast, and even then she's sort of adorable.

• Like 1

Also, to you I love the Real Genius pic. It's one of my all-time favorite and most watched movies.

Thank you! Is that Wynonna from Heathers? I love that movie, too! :)

And I agree - technically - Blast from the Past isn't good, but I love it.

Oh I enjoy it, its just a super bizarre movie.

• Like 1

Thank you! Is that Wynonna from Heathers? I love that movie, too! :)

Yes. Yes it is.

• Like 1

So I love this movie despite its many problems. Brendan Fraser is essentially the human form of a golden retriever both in this movie and in life. He does a commentary for the first Mummy movie and its pretty obvious that he did very little acting in this.

Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek are both delightfully unhinged in this. Alicia Silverstone has never been the best actress but she does just fine and the supporting cast are all great including Dave Foley, and Nathan Fillion in an early role. I've recommended they do this movie in other threads before, but I have to say that I think Inkheart would be a better Fraser pick.

The only thing that bothers me about movies like this, is that they glorify the 50's as the apex of civilization while ignoring the fact that was only true if you were a white dude.

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this