🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 171.5 - Minisode 171.5

Hey, music nerds, I'm trying to make a decision.

Siouxie and the Banshees, New Order, Bauhaus, or Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark?

Don't know what you're deciding but Siouxie and the Banshees

• Like 6

Don't know what you're deciding but Siouxie and the Banshees

This is the only correct answer given those options.

• Like 5

Those are all excellent bands, and I'm not sure what we're deciding on, but I'll throw my hat in for OMD based solely on my lifelong crush of Andy McCluskey.

Lol - No real reason. I'm putting together a playlist and I was thinking of buying some music to add to it. I have a tendency to go overboard if I don't set spending limits for myself, so I was just trying to narrow it down to a couple albums. Since I can't decide, I wondered if anyone had any preferences.

• Like 3

大丈夫ですか?!

僕のひとりぼっちの生活はだんだんしんどくなってます。

• Like 1

Lol - No real reason. I'm putting together a playlist and I was thinking of buying some music to add to it. I have a tendency to go overboard if I don't set spending limits for myself, so I was just trying to narrow it down to a couple albums. Since I can't decide, I wondered if anyone had any preferences.

Ah, understandable. I don't think I'd be able to choose between them, too many good tunes; also I'm pretty indecisive. If there can only be one -for the time being- maybe just download the album(s) from the artist with the most songs you like? Or raid your local library's CD section, that's how I acquired most of my music as a broke teenager.

• Like 3

Hey, music nerds, I'm trying to make a decision.

Siouxie and the Banshees, New Order, Bauhaus, or Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark?

New Order

but Enola Gay is an overlooked/forgotten great song.

I'm listening to this

been a rough couple of weeks

• Like 6

僕のひとりぼっちの生活はだんだんしんどくなってます。

あらまあ、大変そうですね…

• Like 2

New Order

but Enola Gay is an overlooked/forgotten great song.

I'm listening to this

been a rough couple of weeks

Social D is pretty great, though.

• Like 3

Ah, understandable. I don't think I'd be able to choose between them, too many good tunes; also I'm pretty indecisive. If there can only be one -for the time being- maybe just download the album(s) from the artist with the most songs you like? Or raid your local library's CD section, that's how I acquired most of my music as a broke teenager.

Nah! I'm too impulsive for that. I like them all, I'm just trying to set a certain mood for a project I'm working on. All of them work. However, I find when I buy too much new music at once, I don't take the time to really appreciate it as much as I should

I should say, I've already bought Siouxie. :)/> So it's one for OMD and one for New Order. I was writing something the other day and New Order's "Ceremony" came on right as I was wrapping it up. It set the mood really well.

• Like 3

Nah! I'm too impulsive for that. I like them all, I'm just trying to set a certain mood for a project I'm working on. All of them work. However, I find when I buy too much new music at once, I don't take the time to really appreciate it as much as I should

I should say, I've already bought Siouxie. :) So it's one for OMD and one for New Order. I was writing something the other day and New Order's "Ceremony" came on right as I was wrapping it up. It set the mood reall well.

http://youtu.be/fi33-cITS0s

Ooooh... I vote New Order. I was listening to them today in fact.

giphy.gif

Brotherhood has never seemed so delicious...

black+%26+white+cookie+5.JPG

(But zebras can fuck right off, amiright?)

Like the black and white cookies of the bear world

Look to the Panda! Peace.

6b6I5EP.gif

• Like 9

I half wonder if Paul talking about robots started thinking of robot pandas and then jumped to the panda car

panda02.jpg

• Like 6

Btw, I'm excited for Last Dragon, though it's been a couple years since I watched it. I remember it being pretty fun.

I've missed a lot recently, sorry. It hasn't been a good summer.

• Like 4

I've missed a lot recently, sorry. It hasn't been a good summer.

Well, we're glad you're here now :) I hope things have improved.

• Like 5

Those are all excellent bands, and I'm not sure what we're deciding on, but I'll throw my hat in for OMD based solely on my lifelong crush of Andy McCluskey.

I ended up going with New Order this time, but I respect your crush on Andy McCluskey. I myself have very strong feelings about Morten Harket and Paul Waaktaar-Savoy

2nm3w2s.jpg

c5e36c3df8ba78fa01ef2f8225c6c8e5--guitars-singers.jpg

• Like 2

Well, we're glad you're here now :)/> I hope things have improved.

Thanks! I can't say my life has improved yet, but I'm in a better place mentally. What have I missed?

• Like 4

Thanks! I can't say my life has improved yet, but I'm in a better place mentally. What have I missed?

tumblr_inline_mhohiyC5FQ1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 4

If I know two things, it's birds and pro-wrestling:

Owls in Miami:

According to ebird data (a citizen scientist type bird tracking program run through Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology), Miami-Dade County gets the following species:

Barn Owl

Great Horned Owl

Barred Owl

Eastern Screech-Owl

Burrowing Owl

Short-eared Owl

Most of the owl species in the past have been found on Key Biscayne (there's a bunch of woods) and in Coral Gable's Matheson Hammock Park. If it's a hooting owl, it's probably the Great Horned Owl or maybe a Barred Owl.

Now, taking into account the movie is actually filmed in Orlando, that's are a lot of more Barred and Great Horned Owl reports for that area, probably due to a less compact city with houses on top of one another.

Hulk Hogan in Japan:

I'm guessing this is probably a compilation of Hulk Hogan matches for New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Before signing full time with the WWF in the 80's, Hogan would work various tours of New Japan Pro-Wrestling where he was one of the top foreigners. At times, getting a gig as a regular outside talent was usually a very high paying job, tours would be for a two weeks or so and often guys could pick and choose where they would work stateside in between the tours. Hogan would work there between 1980 and 1985, including a few appearances when he was the WWF champion.

Hogan even had a song written about him:

https://youtu.be/BJigJNkwqEo

Rev Ray

• Like 6

Hulk Hogan in Japan:

I'm guessing this is probably a compilation of Hulk Hogan matches for New Japan Pro-Wrestling. Before signing full time with the WWF in the 80's, Hogan would work various tours of New Japan Pro-Wrestling where he was one of the top foreigners. At times, getting a gig as a regular outside talent was usually a very high paying job, tours would be for a two weeks or so and often guys could pick and choose where they would work stateside in between the tours. Hogan would work there between 1980 and 1985, including a few appearances when he was the WWF champion.

Just to add on to this. Numerous major pro-wrestler have wrestled in Japan at some point. Either while they were big or before they were big. Pro wrestling is still big in Japan where a lot of it is still very kayfabe, while at the same time having a few promotions dedicated to more comedic wrestling. However wrestling is not as big as it use to be and it's accessibility is not once it use to be either. As a result a lot of the fans are older and fans don't know that much about WWE or their current roster. A lot of the older wrestlers particularly from the 80s are still remembered fondly. Some other wrestlers that are well know are Dusty Rhodes, Vader, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, and Terry Funk.

Fun fact: If you grew up in the 80s you might remember M.U.S.C.L.E figures. They were tiny little rubber figures that were strange and suppose to be part of an intergalactic wrestling league. Those figures were based off the popular Japanese comic series and anime Kinnikuman which was about super human wrestlers. One of the main characters in that was Terryman, who was a blonde haired blue eyed cowboy who was best friends with the main character and named and modeled after Terry Funk.

418Q0Re7MhL._SX342_.jpg

• Like 5

re: Ninjas dressed in white

I'm sure the guy who called in knows what he's talking about, and I admit this is sort of the same thing, but I thought he was wearing white for the same reason that Moon Knight does:

moonknight-panels.jpg

It's not fair, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was kind of disappointed in Jason for not making that connection.

Thank you!

I had this exact same thought.

Moonie is the shiz (and in recent years he's had some particularly brilliant comics.)

1IZXlsY.jpg

Iv1Zwlk.png

[edit] You can't go wrong with some New Order!

• Like 3

Thank you!

I had this exact same thought.

Moonie is the shiz (and in recent years he's had some particularly brilliant comics.)

1IZXlsY.jpg

Iv1Zwlk.png

[edit] You can't go wrong with some New Order!

Um, hang on tight OblongPanther, because I think you just became my new best friend :)

• Like 3

Fun fact: If you grew up in the 80s you might remember M.U.S.C.L.E figures. They were tiny little rubber figures that were strange and suppose to be part of an intergalactic wrestling league. Those figures were based off the popular Japanese comic series and anime Kinnikuman which was about super human wrestlers. One of the main characters in that was Terryman, who was a blonde haired blue eyed cowboy who was best friends with the main character and named and modeled after Terry Funk.

418Q0Re7MhL._SX342_.jpg

As someone who played with MUSCLE figures as a kid and had literally no idea there was a story to them, this is blowing my mind.

• Like 3

Just watched the Last Dragon with my wife last night, its been a while since I sat down and watched the entire thing. Entertaining on so many levels. The dude playing Eddie Arcadian King of Video Games was an absolute dynamo. Stole every scene he was in and that includes his scenes with Sho'nuff.

Sho'nuff and his entire crew were amazing, The Beast of course deserves special recognition. He was so great it breaks my heart they didn't make a sequel where he takes over the gang after Sho'nuffs defeat.

Can't wait for this friday!!

• Like 5

As someone who played with MUSCLE figures as a kid and had literally no idea there was a story to them, this is blowing my mind.

Oh it's one of the longest running comics out here. There are still new ones coming out now. When I first came to Japan within a week of being here they started showing it in reruns in the morning. I watched every episode and read every comic and am a huge fan. If there are any you particularly remember I'll be glad the give you the weird backstory behind them. Before you ask about the giant hand, it's actually suppose to be a T-Rex's foot. There was a bad guy named Sunigeetaa who was a cross between an alligator and a sneaker. He would come undone and "shed" his skin and went from alligator to turtle to chameleon and finally his true form a T-Rex foot.

• Like 4