🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 171.5 - Minisode 171.5

Oh it's one of the longest running comics out here. There are still new ones coming out now. When I first came to Japan within a week of being here they started showing it in reruns in the morning. I watched every episode and read every comic and am a huge fan. If there are any you particularly remember I'll be glad the give you the weird backstory behind them. Before you ask about the giant hand, it's actually suppose to be a T-Rex's foot. There was a bad guy named Sunigeetaa who was a cross between an alligator and a sneaker. He would come undone and "shed" his skin and went from alligator to turtle to chameleon and finally his true form a T-Rex foot.

Thank you for starting with the claw. That figure really stood out as a kid.

I've been reading the Kinnikuman wiki and a MUSCLE toy blog since your first post which has given me some basic information which has cleared up many things I didn't even know I had questions about. For example, seeing multiple versions of Kinnikuman or Sunshine meant they were on a team when I was a kid. Now, I think they were the same character during a different gimmick/story/move set. Is that right?

What is the story behind this one? Is it Kinnikuman dressed as a cowboy? I assume a parody of the USA?

I also thought this was a mummy but this calls him a zebra. What is going on with that?

I have to admit I've been looking at MUSCLE figures on ebay and I'm reminded of a toyline called CUTIES. Are these related at all or just US marketing tying them together to cash in on MUSCLE popularity at the time?

• Like 2

Thank you for starting with the claw. That figure really stood out as a kid.

I've been reading the Kinnikuman wiki and a MUSCLE toy blog since your first post which has given me some basic information which has cleared up many things I didn't even know I had questions about. For example, seeing multiple versions of Kinnikuman or Sunshine meant they were on a team when I was a kid. Now, I think they were the same character during a different gimmick/story/move set. Is that right?

What is the story behind this one? Is it Kinnikuman dressed as a cowboy? I assume a parody of the USA?

I also thought this was a mummy but this calls him a zebra. What is going on with that?

I have to admit I've been looking at MUSCLE figures on ebay and I'm reminded of a toyline called CUTIES. Are these related at all or just US marketing tying them together to cash in on MUSCLE popularity at the time?

Basically they're the same character. This actually ties into the two that you posted. Sunshine is all the same because he's made of sand and brick and can reshape his body. The Kinnikuman ones are mostly him however there are a few non-Kinnikuman Kinnikuman looking characters. Basically Kinnikuman in the heir to the throne of his planet and he was set to Earth to kinda shape up. Many adventures happened and in the last story line of the original series the gods of his home planet still deemed him unworthy and found hosts to challenge him to succession of the throne. These were Kinnikuman Solider, Big Body, Mariposa, Super Phoenix and Zebra. Why zebra? Well he was a poor farmer who helped others and toiled away to save up to buy a zebra looking animal to help him farm. The god the possessed him imbued him with the strength and speed of said zebra and the look as well.

The first one you are kinda right about. One of the early story lines was after winring the first super human wrestling Olympics, he went to the US were he went undercover to take down a corrupt wrestling league there. However as the champion he would be known so he went "undercover" as an undiscovered American wrestler. What's more American than cowboy hats and blue jeans. After the first fight he was found out and abandoned that disguise.

As far as CUTIES go, I believe that's all Mattel's doing. There are a handful of female characters in Kinnikuman but they would have included in the MUSCLE line.

• Like 3

I ended up going with New Order this time, but I respect your crush on Andy McCluskey. I myself have very strong feelings about Morten Harket and Paul Waaktaar-Savoy

I'd stay on those roads.

• Like 1

Just to add on to this. Numerous major pro-wrestler have wrestled in Japan at some point. Either while they were big or before they were big. Pro wrestling is still big in Japan where a lot of it is still very kayfabe, while at the same time having a few promotions dedicated to more comedic wrestling. However wrestling is not as big as it use to be and it's accessibility is not once it use to be either. As a result a lot of the fans are older and fans don't know that much about WWE or their current roster. A lot of the older wrestlers particularly from the 80s are still remembered fondly. Some other wrestlers that are well know are Dusty Rhodes, Vader, Stan Hansen, Abdullah the Butcher, Bruiser Brody, Andre the Giant, and Terry Funk.

At least Pokemon isn't letting wrestling die with their 6th gen release

fns0b7.jpg

• Like 4

At least Pokemon isn't letting wrestling die with their 6th gen release

But is he tough enough to take on the champ?

068.png

This mini thread is all different kinds of nerdy.

• Like 4

Basically they're the same character. This actually ties into the two that you posted. Sunshine is all the same because he's made of sand and brick and can reshape his body. The Kinnikuman ones are mostly him however there are a few non-Kinnikuman Kinnikuman looking characters. Basically Kinnikuman in the heir to the throne of his planet and he was set to Earth to kinda shape up. Many adventures happened and in the last story line of the original series the gods of his home planet still deemed him unworthy and found hosts to challenge him to succession of the throne. These were Kinnikuman Solider, Big Body, Mariposa, Super Phoenix and Zebra. Why zebra? Well he was a poor farmer who helped others and toiled away to save up to buy a zebra looking animal to help him farm. The god the possessed him imbued him with the strength and speed of said zebra and the look as well.

The first one you are kinda right about. One of the early story lines was after winring the first super human wrestling Olympics, he went to the US were he went undercover to take down a corrupt wrestling league there. However as the champion he would be known so he went "undercover" as an undiscovered American wrestler. What's more American than cowboy hats and blue jeans. After the first fight he was found out and abandoned that disguise.

As far as CUTIES go, I believe that's all Mattel's doing. There are a handful of female characters in Kinnikuman but they would have included in the MUSCLE line.

All this makes me want to start reading the comics and watching the anime. This is the equivalent to if I suddenly found out GI Joe figures had a huge media franchise I'd never heard of.

It seems strange that there was no effort to bring any of the Kinnikuman story to the USA.

• Like 3

Shirts for everyone!

91eigDX0kvL._UX522_.jpg

Wow. I must be cooler than I thought, because I wouldn't be caught dead in a Pink Floyd shirt.

• Like 2

But is he tough enough to take on the champ?

068.png

This mini thread is all different kinds of nerdy.

289csj5.jpg

What the hell, I'm supposed to be working

• Like 4

All this makes me want to start reading the comics and watching the anime. This is the equivalent to if I suddenly found out GI Joe figures had a huge media franchise I'd never heard of.

It seems strange that there was no effort to bring any of the Kinnikuman story to the USA.

The original comic ran until the mid 80s and then in the mid to late 90s it came back in the form of a story about his son and the children of the other original characters. Being the anime boom of the late 90s/early 2000s there was a slight push to market that in America unfortunately the anime was being made while the comic was relatively new so they caught up with the comics and then went off the air even though the comic continued on much longer. I believe that was called Ultimate Muscle overseas. I have no idea if the original Kinnikuman has ever been translated or dubbed but I found some clips on youtube so you can see what it's like. Jump to 1:50 to see Zebra in action.

• Like 3

The original comic ran until the mid 80s and then in the mid to late 90s it came back in the form of a story about his son and the children of the other original characters. Being the anime boom of the late 90s/early 2000s there was a slight push to market that in America unfortunately the anime was being made while the comic was relatively new so they caught up with the comics and then went off the air even though the comic continued on much longer. I believe that was called Ultimate Muscle overseas. I have no idea if the original Kinnikuman has ever been translated or dubbed but I found some clips on youtube so you can see what it's like. Jump to 1:50 to see Zebra in action.

I obviously can't understand whay anyone is saying but this is amazing.

• Like 3

Okay just watched the Kinnikuman video omg

Please explain Ramenman to me

肉とラーメン…お腹がすきました。

• Like 3

To tie it into the Hogan link that jumped us on onto Kinnikuman, according to the wiki, Neptuneman was inspired by Hogan (seems like he used the Axe Bomber in the various clips I've seen on YouTube.

016-NEPTUNEMAN-KINNIKUMAN-MUSCLE_FIGURES.jpg

• Like 3

To tie it into the Hogan link that jumped us on onto Kinnikuman, according to the wiki, Neptuneman was inspired by Hogan (seems like he used the Axe Bomber in the various clips I've seen on YouTube.

I see that now but in the comics and show Neptuneman's secret identity is that of Kenkaman(fight man) who is British for some reason. Here is is as Kenkaman and it is undeniably Hogan

379776af81fda4e7.jpg

Okay just watched the Kinnikuman video omg

Please explain Ramenman to me

肉とラーメン…お腹がすきました。

Ramenman is probably the most popular character to come out of Kinnikuman, even more popular that the title character. He got his own spin off manga and anime as well as having depth and an arc to him. We first meet him early on in the superhuman olympics. He's in B block with a bunch of "brutal" superhumans. In his first match he fights Brockenman and using his signature move, the camel clutch, he snaps him in half. After which he keeps folding him up until he's dough, turns him into ramen noodles and eats him. He goes on to lose to Kinnikuman and then he is disqualified in the semi-finals for fighting dirty. At which point he repents and tries to become good. After that point he became a close ally to Kinnikuman and fought for and with him on numerous occasions after. He has the kanji 中 on his head for China much like Terryman has 米 for America.

• Like 4

Is it normal for Amazon subtitles to completely ignore any swearing? Also, great follow up movie to Miami Connection with more kung fu, family, and great songs!

• Like 5

Is it normal for Amazon subtitles to completely ignore any swearing? Also, great follow up movie to Miami Connection with more kung fu, family, and great songs!

It's interesting you bring this up, because a couple of weeks ago I was watching Jaws: The Revenge on Netflix and I noticed the same thing. I even mentioned it in my Letterboxd review.

https://letterboxd.c...views/by/added/

So weird...

• Like 2

Just rewatched The Last Dragon and idk guys, I can't find anything wrong with this movie

except you know their mixing up of Chinese and Japanese things but ok

Can't wait for the new ep!

• Like 7

I find the subtitles on most streaming platforms to be wildly inconsistent. Netflix is usually ok, and their original stuff is full of profanity and I have not noticed them censoring much. It is possible that the original production company provided the captions.

But I have been re-watching a lot of James Bond on Amazon/Starz to follow along with the James Bonding podcast, and some of those subtitles are hilariously bad. You Only Live Twice was practically unreadable.

• Like 6

Just rewatched The Last Dragon and idk guys, I can't find anything wrong with this movie

except you know their mixing up of Chinese and Japanese things but ok

Can't wait for the new ep!

LOL - I'm watching now, and I also have nothing to say, except maybe "Thank God This Got Made." I'm just happy for the excuse to watch this again! :)

• Like 5

I have a big problem with the movie not being 10 hours long because I don't want this movie to ever end.

• Like 5

This is a dumb question that I can't seem to find an answer to while poking around Google so I'm posing the question here.

Does anyone here have an iPhone that they just updated? If so, are you still using the Podcasts app? Again if so lol, have you figured out how to get all podcasts to just play one after another? They've COMPLETELY fucked up this app in the update and you have to go into the app after each individual episode ends to start a new one, which is fucking bonkers. It seems according to the podcast app support forum on the Apple site that most of the dummies at Apple never even used this app because someone had to actually explain to them how it used to work and why that was better.

So basically someone good at technology pls help cause I can't keep going to my phone every damn hour without my boss being like "uh excuse me wtf are you doing" (also I listen to shit on long drives and who tf thinks it is a good idea to have people mess with their phones WHILE THEY'RE DRIVING!).

• Like 4