🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Nothing else to say. Con Air is the epitome of everything an awesomely terrible movie can be. I'm sure you guys are inundated with requests for Nic Cage movies (Bad Lieutenant and Know1ng would be superb choices, as well), but Con Air really just cannot be topped.

Yeah I just posted Face/off Yesterday and I had the same Cage dilemma. I love all these movies but they would all work so well on HDTGM too. Really have to space out the cages.

I apologize if someone suggested this already - I didn't find anything when I searched, but I can't really believe no one's suggested this yet.

- Nicholas Cage, mullet edition.

- A LeeAnn Rimes prominently featured a minute in.

- Important Social Commentary: there's a scene where the "Black Militant" bad guy whips a bunch of white dudes who are towing a plane with ropes.

- Bruckheimer-standard Wacky Minorities.

- A character named Swamp Thing.

- most importantly, the following exchange: "Please, Cyrus, please... Cy-" "Onora." *Throws lit cigarette onto gasoline*

Not to mention the most kangaroo court scene ever where Cage is slapped on the wrist for being a killing machine that should know better than to defend his and his wife's honour and lives.. just so he can be imprisoned.

Incompetent guards and security at every juncture just to allow the plot to happen.

.. and a finale where an industrial hammer device is being used in road construction, if i recall correctly, just happens to be conveniently placed to dispatch the villain off screen.

You know it might just have been long enough for me to risk re-watching this for the first time.

I recommend Con Air as a summer movie to review. It has it all. Bad accents. An all-star cast including Nic Cage, John Cusack, Steve Buscemi, John Malkovich, Dave Chappelle, Danny Trejo (who is a guest coming up) and Colm Meaney. It has cops who don't play by the rules. And of course, the completely ridiculous stunt with the plane fuselage sliding about 5 miles down the Las Vegas strip taking out everything in its way (while bystanders miraculously dive out of the way just in time).

I just listened to the latest episode (Speed 2), and Con-Air is mentioned at the end! Hopefully that means there will be a Con-Air episode.

I really hope they do it, it was one of my favorite movies when I was a young teen.

And because it's kind of related and always makes me giggle:

• Like 3

Are you kidding? This movie is way to awesome to be lumped in with movies like Godzilla and Speed 2. This is the ultimate in testosterone, and I have to watch it at least once a year to remind myself that I am a man.

Great flick, and in no way does it beg the question of "How did this get made?"

Seriously, this movie needs the HDTGM treatment. It features so many HDTGM staples: Ridiculous Cage, inconsistent accents, elaborate villain deaths, etc. Plus, it ends on a stinger where Steve Buscemi escapes and we're supposed to laugh and cheer, despite the fact that we are told in the movie that he has murdered 37 people.

I can't remember seeing this film. until i watched the trailer. it's funny how you forget crap tell you rewatch it. this has got some great actors in it. how did they mess this film up. John Malkovich, Steve Buscemi.

This movie definitely needs to be done. It's the paragon of good/bad action flicks.

Yup, Cage movies a serially bad, but are entertaining, but also make for great podcast. I think many scenes from Con Air are worth making fun of.

This film is amazing and the guys have already mentioned their love of it a couple of times. Maybe it's time to face it down and do a podcast on it.

Simon West's masterpiece that rounds up a bunch of heavy hitters to ham it up on a plane. And as hard as they try, Cage still out chews them all. I used to LOVE this movie. It's so bad. (It and FACE/OFF would make a great double bill.)

This would be a great entry in the "so stupid and crazy it's awesome" category like the Fast & Furious and Crank movies.

This movie is pretty wonderfully stupid... if only because of the cast. Seriously: Cage, Malkovich, Cusack, Rhames, Trejo, Buscemi, Chappelle... in-freakin' sane! The only thing more insane? The plot.

Just a straight-up, balls out action film with story as connective tissue rather than driving force. And sometimes, that's just fine.

This really needs to be done together with Face/Off, especially since they came out three weeks apart from each other which is crazy enough for an A-list actor to do at his peak. I unironically love this movie for how crazy it is and the total amount of scene chewing done by LITERALLY every main cast member. And having just rewatched it a couple weeks ago I began to notice things that I missed when I first saw it when I was 9 like in the initial fight that gets cage arrested for manslaughter, the knife he was attacked with removed from the scene by the drunk guys friends making it seem like it wasn't self defense, or the idea that somehow Cage's wife could be 3 months pregnant but have zero bump in her stomach.

Plus it's the biggest raw deal I've ever seen on film where Cage is talked into pleading guilty for a short sentence (4 years I think), but the judge screws him over by saying since he's a soldier he should know better so he sentences him for the maximum that he plead guilty to avoid in the first place. Then when a DEA agent is given a gun to sneak onto a plane full of some of the worst criminals in the United States, when he gets killed his friend who gave him the gun in the first place is given almost total jurisdiction in a non DEA incident while John Cusack is pushed out because "he's too close to it" since it's his plane.

Also, was Steve Buscemi a pedophile as well as a maniac? I know he talked about butchering people and wearing a girl's head as a hat, but it just seemed out of place that he finds the one lone child in a near deserted plane graveyard/trailer park and we as the audience are forced to look at the kid through his batshit crazy prism.

• Like 1

I remember talking about this in another thread, but the ending to this where Buscemi the serial killer escaping is played for laughs is super nuts.

I remember talking about this in another thread, but the ending to this where Buscemi the serial killer escaping is played for laughs is super nuts.

Not just a serial killer, but apparently a guy who puts Charles Manson, Ed Gein, and Jack the Ripper, to shame. The fact that everyone in this movie are so blase about him, including Federal Agents who are more worried about Malkovitch is incredibly shocking. I mean even Cage didn't ask Cusack "hey you got Garland Greene in custody again right?"

Not just a serial killer, but apparently a guy who puts Charles Manson, Ed Gein, and Jack the Ripper, to shame. The fact that everyone in this movie are so blase about him, including Federal Agents who are more worried about Malkovitch is incredibly shocking. I mean even Cage didn't ask Cusack "hey you got Garland Greene in custody again right?"

I hate that when they have those characters in movies, where they're the sickest, meanest, scariest things...just not in anything that YOU are going to get to see. I mean, we can't have this horrible person doing horrible things, because then you might not like them when they show some restraint and DON'T kill the kid this one time, right?

Oh wow, I just remembered an amazingly shitty line:

Guy that's about to get killed by Cyrus: "Cy..."

Cyrus: "...Ounara" (and then sets the dude on fire or something)

It's like Malkovich's character was sitting on that, just fuckin' WAITING for someone to just say PART of his name like that so that he could hit him with that epic burn right before killing them. Lazy screenwriting 101: The character with the one-liner/sick burn is psychic and knows how the scene is going to play out before everyone else.

Sign in to follow this