🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 173 - Virtuosity: LIVE!

I'm NOT, you guys. NOT.

i swear.

But Jesse James makes more sense cause yeah he was accused of some major atrocities and brutality.

... cheating on Sandra Bullock.

• Like 8

But did the film mention serial killer DNA? I thought it was their personality profile? Does that mean SID's creator had the 666 killers sit down and take a Myers Briggs test or something? Or does it mean in this vague future they have some virtual way of mapping someone's personality? Even if we allow for the possibility that said personality mapping could take place after a person's death, I still don't think, say Hitler's personality profile his head isn't intact. He's ashes. There's nothing to map?

IMDb says these are the killers that are shown:

I don't know who all these people are, but I know they are not all serial or even mass murderers. (Here I am using the phrase "serial killer" to denote a murderer who kills on multiple occasions not in one angry fit. And "mass murderer" as someone who kills a whole lot of people at once.)

For example, Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme didn't even KILL ANYONE. She tried to kill Pres. Ford but failed. She's even out on bail now.

So now I have to ask: what would happen if SID happened to run into one of his personalities?

Yeah they are being really general in defining "serial killer" even though the bar to be deemed one is very low. Manson only killed one person but led others to murder a few more and I don't think Koresh killed anyone.

Speaking of this, has anyone seen the Assassin's Creed movie? The Animus in the movie functions in a similar way to VR machine in Virtuosity, in that they are physically acting out what takes place in VR. It's completely stupid in both instances ... why can't they just be immobile a la The Matrix?

Yeah that bummed me out because in the game the Animus is more like the hookup in the Matrix. There were many things wrong with that movie, and even then it's still one of the better game adaptations.

• Like 1

Yeah that bummed me out because in the game the Animus is more like the hookup in the Matrix. There were many things wrong with that movie, and even then it's still one of the better game adaptations.

I thought it was a cool story (bro), and it looked great, but I couldn't take the Animus scenes. I don't even know why they had to do so much with the future/past storylines and shoehorn in all the talk about "syncing" and crap ... just keep it with Aguilar.

Also, why CGI the parkour stuff? YouTube is completely lousy with parkour videos ... find a location, build a set, and give these guys a fucking GoPro!

I thought it was a cool story (bro), and it looked great, but I couldn't take the Animus scenes. I don't even know why they had to do so much with the future/past storylines and shoehorn in all the talk about "syncing" and crap ... just keep it with Aguilar.

Also, why CGI the parkour stuff? YouTube is completely lousy with parkour videos ... find a location, build a set, and give these guys a fucking GoPro!

The syncing is a huge part of the games, mainly for the villainous corporation to find out where the various holy relics and special artifacts that they are looking for are located. The original game was first thought to be just set during the Crusades, but the twist showing that it was a simulation from the future established that they were not just making a standard stealth fighting game. I would have liked to see them Hardcore Henry the parkour, but then they most likely would have tried to super impose Fassbender's face onto the stunt doubles.

• Like 1

The syncing is a huge part of the games, mainly for the villainous corporation to find out where the various holy relics and special artifacts that they are looking for are located. The original game was first thought to be just set during the Crusades, but the twist showing that it was a simulation from the future established that they were not just making a standard stealth fighting game. I would have liked to see them Hardcore Henry the parkour, but then they most likely would have tried to super impose Fassbender's face onto the stunt doubles.

Yes, syncing was a huge part of the game, but aside from secondary mission objectives, syncing was just your health meter. Neither of those translates well to movies. They ended up making it all Matrix "the body cannot live without the mind." They could've just said, "Hey, we've got this Animus, let's plug you in and find that Apple of Eden." Plus they had the whole secondary thing with Jeremy Irons and Marion Cotillard ... doing to much. But it was cool to look at.

And they wouldn't have had to go completely FPS with the parkour, but damn, how cool would legit Ninja Warrior free-running have looked across those movie sets?

... cheating on Sandra Bullock.

The fact that that personality that cheated on America's Sweetheart didn't dominate is the most unbelievable part of this movie.

• Like 4

So it'll take me a couple of days to catch up and rewatch this movie, if only to see Russell Crowes glorious bubble butt. I live in Sonoma County which just had some horrific wildfires i'd encourage anyone whose able to donate to some of the relief efforts.

My wife's family lives less than a mile from Coffey Park which is one of the neighborhoods being shown on TV that looks like an atomic bomb went off. My family are all okay but there are tons of people suddenly without homes.

• Like 11

So it'll take me a couple of days to catch up and rewatch this movie, if only to see Russell Crowes glorious bubble butt. I live in Sonoma County which just had some horrific wildfires i'd encourage anyone whose able to donate to some of the relief efforts.

My wife's family lives less than a mile from Coffey Park which is one of the neighborhoods being shown on TV that looks like an atomic bomb went off. My family are all okay but there are tons of people suddenly without homes.

I'm very happy to hear that you and your family are doing okay! I hope and pray that y'all only continue to be okay and the madness that this world is currently in fucking stooooops.

• Like 6

So glad to hear you are all okay! Please continue to take care.

• Like 7

Heart breaks every time I see footage. Glad you're safe.

• Like 7

Since you mentioned the terrible ADR and Russell's band, 30 Odd Foot of Grunts, I was surprised no one mentioned that the band's name came from this movie. Here's a quote from the man himself: "'30 Odd Foot of Grunts' was actually an ADR, which is an Analog Dialog Replacement line for the movie Virtuousity. It was the fight sequence on the roof, right, and I go in to replace the dialog because of aircraft or whatever and it said between 558 and 588, because film was still measured in feet, 'Please put in 30 Odd Foot of Grunts.' I just thought it was kind of snappy. Just rolled off the tongue."

• Like 7

This is very sad and, like others have said before me, I am glad you and your family are safe. I hope you continue to stay safe and out of harm's way. It's just so awful right now, it feels like the entire world is baking in a casserole of despair and disaster, so each individual tragedy gets only about 10% of the attention it deserves before the nation and/or the world diverts its attention elsewhere.

• Like 6

I'm NOT, you guys. NOT.

i swear.

Methinks someone doth protest too much.

Hypothetically, would you consider (apparent) use of eight tracks to hold each character profile in a VR program to be a good plan? Are they going to make a comeback like records?

It was interesting how SID's program only needed one eight track. Was the Geisha eight track just as detailed as him? 600+ geishas profiled...

Once again, filmic proof that using "Stayin' Alive" in any film (outside of the original,) will surely make your principle character look like a fucking douche-nozzle...

ODlvEQU.jpg

The exception:

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 5

The exception:

hqdefault.jpg

Also I have to admit that I think Crowe NAILED it in that scene.

• Like 1

Russell Crowe was obviously riffing on Jack Nicholson's Joker, right?

Some weird amalgam of Nicholson's Joker and Ace Ventura.

• Like 4

Glad to hear that you and yours are well.

• Like 7