🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 22 (Quasar Sniffer’s 2nd Pick)

We've done musicals that have deconstructed and recontextualized musicals, used them to look at culture in new and different ways (Bugsy Malone, Cabaret, Jesus Christ Superstar) and even made them new and exciting for the Youth Market (High School Musical). So for my second pick, I just really wanted to get back to the origins of Hollywood musicals, why they appealed to people so deeply in the first place, especially in the Depression, especially in the first decade of sound in film. So I figure where better to begin then with one of the all-time classic on-screen film pairings, a film that Mel Brooks has often described as his favorite...

1935's Top Hat

top-hat-poster.jpg

So, my apologies if this isn't readily available for free, but I just really wanted to do something classic. I mean, I have seen ANY Fred and Ginger movies in my life, so as a supposed film fan, what am I even doing?

• Like 5

If anyone is looking to buy this instead of renting, it’s almost half the price on Amazon as opposed to iTunes. (14.99 HD/SD vs 8.99 HD/7.99 SD) rental prices are the same.

• Like 2

Much like you I have never seen any Fred and Ginger either so I look forward to being exposed to this!

• Like 5

If anyone is looking to buy this instead of renting, it’s almost half the price on Amazon as opposed to iTunes. (14.99 HD/SD vs 8.99 HD/7.99 SD) rental prices are the same.

I don't know how YouTube renting works but they offer it for $2.99 SD/$3.99 HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZnblFRKjAk

• Like 2

Much like you I have never seen any Fred and Ginger either so I look forward to being exposed to this!

Given the Bugsy Malone/Rent discussion I'm not sure "exposed to this" is a good thing. ^_^

Does watching the Rankin and Bass Santa Claus Is Comin To Town count as having seen a Fred Astaire movie? Because that's the closest I've come.

• Like 4

Does watching the Rankin and Bass Santa Claus Is Comin To Town count as having seen a Fred Astaire movie? Because that's the closest I've come.

I'd say yes. Here's an interesting article about how Fred Astaire's movements made animation easy and a Mickey Mouse cartoon inspired by Top Hat.

http://www.printmag.com/design-inspiration/fred-astaire-the-human-mickey-mouse/

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 5

Ooh nice pick!

I just recently watched this one. But it was the first Fred Astaire I've seen..(if not counting Santa Claus is Coming to Town).

I've watched a couple more of his movies afterwards during my classic movie musical kick, but this is still the only Fred & Ginger movie I've seen (the other 2 Astaire movies I watched were Royal Wedding and Easter Parade) but I plan to watch more.

Looking forward to discussing this one with everyone :)

• Like 4

That's one bold bladed motherf*cker. Nice choice!

Even at an early age his fate was set...

Vcvg16.jpg

• Like 6

Even at an early age his fate was set...

Vcvg16.jpg

This is some weird tie in with Bugsy Malone right?

• Like 10

I've only ever heard of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... I don't think I've ever seen one of their flicks. So, far out!

• Like 4

This is some weird tie in with Bugsy Malone right?

Of course! How do you think he developed his style? By learning to dodge the Splurge guns and pie throwing.

fred_astaire.jpg

• Like 6

I'm going to make a prediction and guess that Lucille Ball will be the one named Ted Neeley Handsome in this movie.

• Like 3

Taking a break from Walking Dead marathon to watch this now...

• Like 4

*VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE AFTER THE MEME IMAGE*

b6bc036cdc16a7d279c75fe8e7da82ce1c1364d9da5276265c0ff3ab4abba955.jpg

But wait!!! There is a perfectly good reason for this...

You see I'm super busy right now because I'm traveling/moving from Venezuela to Spain in less than 2 weeks (Thursday, November 2nd to be exact) and I have to get "my ducks in a row" and my affairs in order and unfortunately that leaves me with little to no time for "extracurricular activities" ( AKA: Doing fun things ;) ) for at least the next 2 weeks.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT Don't worry I'm coming back here to the forum as soon as I possibly can (After all, I have to post my 2nd M.M. pick around December or January, if my calculations are correct) and as you know I'll always pop up when I find free time, but it will not be my usual long posts or deep analysis until all I need to do gets sorted out.

Just know that (Each and everyone of) You guys (and HDTGM and Earwolf) truly mean A LOT to me,

YOU ARE JUST THE BEST AND...

g0agd.gif

( I didn't want this post to be a total bummer, thats why I put the meme and the .gif :P )

In conclusion...

That's all I gotta say for now... And I'll brb as soon as humanly possible, without neglecting my priorities of course.

I wish all of you the best with everything during my traveling hiatus and I leave you with this clip from The Rock in Furious 6...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NmKdQ78uIg

"C Ya!"

• Like 6

Good luck with the move, Max! You’ll be missed! Hurry back when you can, we’ll still be here ;)

fast-family.gif?w=1000

• Like 5

...having trouble? Not enough time to watch?

No! I just really enjoyed it! Sorry.