đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 173.5 - Minisode 173.5

Same universe as the goblin truck in Maximum Overdrive?

Could Thomas be a sequel to Maximum Overdrive where humans and machines have learned to live together in - relative- harmony?

• Like 2

The only thing I've ever seen from Thomas The Tank Engine is this clip.

All I could think is no, Henry didn't deserve that fate, Ringo.

• Like 5

https://youtu.be/iO6qIM2WO6k

All I could think is no, Henry didn't deserve that fate, Ringo.

It could have been worse. They could have bricked him all the way in.

• Like 5

While I agree with Paul to some extent that you might as well get used to “new” pop culture stuff, I think if you expose children to older stuff when they’re young - and without pressure - it will keep them open-minded.

My five year old and I watched The Invisible Man Returns this morning and he thought it was the most fantastic thing ever! It’s been the news of the day all morning. He also really enjoyed The Creature from the Black Lagoon a few days ago.

So I don’t think it’s a matter of forgetting the old, but being open to - and incorporating - the new.

• Like 5

It could have been worse. They could have bricked him all the way in.

That's how I remembered it.

While I agree with Paul to some extent that you might as well get used to “new” pop culture stuff, I think if you expose children to older stuff when they’re young - and without pressure - it will keep them open minded.

My five year old and I watched The Invisible Man Returns this morning and he thought it was the most fantastic thing ever! It’s been the news of the day all morning. He also really enjoyed The Creature from the Black Lagoon a few days ago.

So I don’t think it’s a matter of forgetting the old, but being open to - and incorporating - the new.

I think this is how my parents were. I don't remember to many times where they forced me to watch some movie they liked as a kid. My dad made me watch The Dirty Dozen once in middle school. That might be it.

But I was also willing to watch any movie. So, I wasn't hard sell.

• Like 3

"THE thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge."
  • Like 8

My son is not into Thomas -- never was. The most annoying show that he liked was probably Dinosaur Train or Clifford, but I'm sure there is another that I could come up with. He only gets to watch a little bit of television anyways.

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.)

I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema:

Thomas_And_The_Magic_Railroad-1.jpg

Can we add this to bad movie recommendations?

"THE thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge."

You beat me to this reference. I think Thomas should remake more EAP short stories. They're public domain! Let's scare some kids!

• Like 6

This makes me think of how before I had my daughter my coworkers would say "Oh you're gonna HATE IT when she starts watching Callou/Dora/Barney/Whatever" and I thought then, and still think now... You're the f*cking adult, don't put that shit on for them.

So far I've only turned on things that I don't mind watching with her and I've been slowly introducing my favorite kid movies like Muppets and Mary Poppins and The Shining - you know, the classics. She's mostly into it.

Anyways... I know all bets are off when she figures out how to use the firestick remote.

• Like 6

Question for those of you with kids:

Has there ever been some sort of children's entertainment (movie, music, book, etc.) that you ended up enjoying much more than your kids?

• Like 2

Has there ever been some sort of children's entertainment (movie, music, book, etc.) that you ended up enjoying much more than your kids?

I kinda get cracked up by Shaun the Sheep. My niece loved it. My daughter couldn't give a shit.

• Like 4

I mean, Pixar movies. They are really a scam perpetrated by adults on children. And I'm thankful for that.

• Like 4

On Andromeda, Lexa Doig plays the Android and Lisa Ryder the human, so this is a reverse of that.

Amazon Video and Vudu both have Jason X for a $0.99 HD rental right now.

• Like 2

I mean, Pixar movies. They are really a scam perpetrated by adults on children. And I'm thankful for that.

The first 20 minutes of UP are, like, the saddest thing I can think of. That is not a children's movie. That is a movie for grouchy old people and I love it.

• Like 6

I was busy with life and couldn't watch the last movie. Just checking in to see how things are going and ya'll talking about kids entertainment. I am good with that.

I don't have kids, so I don't watch much in way of children's programming currently. But as far as watching cartoons, I've always stood by the Chuck Jones quote: "There's only one test of a great children's book, or a great children's film, and that is this: If it can be read or viewed with pleasure by adults, then it has the chance to be a great children's film, or a great children's book."

So like, if you can entertain me, I'll watch it.

Which reminds me, I want to watch more "Amazing World of Gumball"...

• Like 4

My eldest son’s favorite songs are:

“

” - Iggy POP

“

” - Ray Parker Jr.

“

” - The Beatles

My 1 year old likes anything from The Seventies. Even when he was nothing more than a lump, it has always soothed him. Anything from The Carpenters to Sabbath. Kind of weird, actually. He has no time for any other decade.

Those are fantastic choices. My kids love "Ghostbusters". My 5-year old son has been introduced to Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" and will watch it over and over on YouTube. Maybe I should just let him watch Highlander?

• Like 3

Those are fantastic choices. My kids love "Ghostbusters". My 5-year old son has been introduced to Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" and will watch it over and over on YouTube. Maybe I should just let him watch Highlander?

You should! My son liked it!

• Like 3

I showed my then 4-year old The NeverEnding Story. He was kind of into it (which means he wasn't, because he gets super into just about anything), then proceeded to fall asleep on me. I watched the rest of the film without him.

• Like 3

You should! My son liked it!

I think I might have to actually figure out the movie first. He asks a lot of questions, and I'm not sure I could answer any of them.

• Like 1

I was busy with life and couldn't watch the last movie. Just checking in to see how things are going and ya'll talking about kids entertainment. I am good with that.

I don't have kids, so I don't watch much in way of children's programming currently. But as far as watching cartoons, I've always stood by the Chuck Jones quote: "There's only one test of a great children's book, or a great children's film, and that is this: If it can be read or viewed with pleasure by adults, then it has the chance to be a great children's film, or a great children's book."

That reminds me I think it was in the Colbert interview but Maurice Sendak hated being refereed to as a "children's" author for similar reasons.

• Like 5

I think that is why the Disney XD reboot of Ducktales (and of course Gravity Falls) works (worked). Ducktales may habe been greenlit due to nostalgia, but it's succeeding because it is telling great stories that can be enjoyed by everyone. (also a good cast helps).

• Like 3

Speaking of likes and dislikes, I have a question I’d like to throw out to the group.

I hope explain this right...

A few weeks ago, I was have a conversation about “favorite bands.” Of course the top few are easy (e.g. The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Kinks, etc...), but we kept saying things like, “Yeah, I really like so-and-so, but they’re not in my Top Ten, maybe my Top 50” or “I hate the Stones! They wouldn’t be in my Top 100.” But then the question became, “actually name your Top Ten.” Again, the first few are pretty easy, but even though I love music, I had a really hard time even filling out my Ten. Ultimately, I was like, “You know what? I think Tom Petty (This was before he died, btw) is in my Top Ten...” Now, I have nothing against Tom Petty. Obviously, I love Tom Petty, but I never would have dreamed he would be in my Top Ten of all time. It was a very revelatory experience.

So, I guess the question is: what musician or band is higher on your favorites list than you would have thought? Some of you might have an easy 10, so who’s eleven?* Or, think of as many as you can easily and then share whichever one comes next.

tumblr_oas5ucZXwJ1rkmmiio2_500.gif

• Like 5

I think that is why the Disney XD reboot of Ducktales (and of course Gravity Falls) works (worked). Ducktales may habe been greenlit due to nostalgia, but it's succeeding because it is telling great stories that can be enjoyed by everyone. (also a good cast helps).

I looooooove Gravity Falls and SHAME ON DISNEY FOR NOT RELEASING IT ON DVD. SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME SHAME (also I forgot Paul had a small cameo in that show lol)

Haven't seen the new Ducktales yet, but I hope it does well if they've got some great writing behind it.

• Like 4

So, I guess the question is: what musician or band is higher on your favorites list than you would have thought? Some of you might have an easy 10, so who’s eleven?* Or, think of as many as you can easily and then share whichever one comes next.

This is a tough question. Give me my trek into work to think it over.

• Like 1

Speaking of likes and dislikes, I have a question I’d like to throw out to the group.

Cameron, sounds like you're trying to tease out some guilty pleasures.

Easy answer for me: Sublime.

• Like 2