🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 173.5 - Minisode 173.5

Cameron, sounds like you're trying to tease out some guilty pleasures.

No, no - all my pleasures have been acquited ;)

• Like 6

So, I guess the question is: what musician or band is higher on your favorites list than you would have thought? Some of you might have an easy 10, so who’s eleven?* Or, think of as many as you can easily and then share whichever one comes next.

I never made a top 10, but thinking on this for a while, I will say there is a group that I recently relistened to while feeling nostalgic, and I think now that I am an adult they definitely jumped up higher on my list.

The group being Peter, Paul & Mary, whom my mom had me listen to as a kid. I was chatting with a friend of Salvadorean background, and recalled their song "El Salvador", which then I listened to and was just "Oh... oh no. I get this now." I think I spent the rest of that evening listening to a compilation of their songs on youtube and crying. (I enjoyed it.) So yeah, I think that might count.

I suppose I need to come up with some sort of a top 10 list sometime, but I'm terrible at those lol

• Like 4

So, I guess the question is: what musician or band is higher on your favorites list than you would have thought? Some of you might have an easy 10, so who’s eleven?* Or, think of as many as you can easily and then share whichever one comes next.

I don't have a top 10 or anything. But the first one that jumped out and surprised me when scrolling through my music collection was Kate Bush.

• Like 2

I listen to a lot of music and have a very eclectic collection on my iPhone. I very much listen to certain music depending on what I'm doing, but there are some artists I still find myself gravitating towards, especially if I haven't listened to them in a while. Top 10 is harder than my top 5: The National, TV on the Radio, Eluvium, Bon Iver, Godspeed! You Black Emperor. Pink Floyd is definitely one I'll dig up whenever I can't decide on something else. My dad listened to Dark Side of the Moon a lot when I was a kid, and it has stuck with me.

For the surprises that creep towards the top, I'd have to say Joy Division, Brian Eno...and Iron Maiden.

• Like 3

I had to watch several episodes of Thomas the Train this weekend because my nephew, who is two (and has GARBAGE taste) kept saying "Watch Thomas? Watch Thomas?" I agree with Paul, that train sucks.

He also really loves

. And when you put it on he'll go "OH BOY DUCKS!" For some reason, I hate this one less because I make jokes with mother (my sister) about how that mother duck should be reported to CPS.

I guess what I'm saying is Thomas isn't even fun bad. But five little ducks is totally HDTGM bad.

ETA: Also congrats to us on being the best Earwolf forum. Suck it, Comedy Bang Bang.

It's a shame what happened to Thomas.

VQ8qSvd.png

• Like 7

37145346243_b5d1216972_h.jpg

I agree. This mother duck's sadness is totally self-inflicted. Speaking as a parent, maybe do something to look out for your ducklings besides going "quack quack quack."

GET IT TOGETHER, MOTHERDUCKERS!

I thought her sadness was remembering how she got the ducklings in the first place. Maybe she was hoping they'd run away.

howardtheduck_04-381752caca8b.jpg

• Like 5

While I agree with Paul to some extent that you might as well get used to “new” pop culture stuff, I think if you expose children to older stuff when they’re young - and without pressure - it will keep them open-minded.

My five year old and I watched The Invisible Man Returns this morning and he thought it was the most fantastic thing ever! It’s been the news of the day all morning. He also really enjoyed The Creature from the Black Lagoon a few days ago.

So I don’t think it’s a matter of forgetting the old, but being open to - and incorporating - the new.

Show him The Blob sometime. When he's a little older you can come out to Blob Fest and take part in the Run Out at the theater the scene was filmed at.

http://www.phoenixvillefirst.org/blobfest/

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 2

While I agree with Paul to some extent that you might as well get used to “new” pop culture stuff, I think if you expose children to older stuff when they’re young - and without pressure - it will keep them open-minded.

My five year old and I watched The Invisible Man Returns this morning and he thought it was the most fantastic thing ever! It’s been the news of the day all morning. He also really enjoyed The Creature from the Black Lagoon a few days ago.

So I don’t think it’s a matter of forgetting the old, but being open to - and incorporating - the new.

I completely agree with this. If it weren't for my mom being an OG Star Wars fanatic (she still has a scrapbook with ALL of her Star Wars memorabilia that she made after Return came out. It has all 10 original ticket stubs from when she saw Empire in theaters.) then who knows when I would have gotten to actually see the original trilogy... probably after the prequels... which is horrendous sounding.

I don't have any kids myself but when I do I want to have them exposed to things the way I was which was a combination of new and old at the same time. I also grew up during the Disney Renaissance so I got lucky that Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan, and Pocahontas all came out within my formative years, but during that time I was still exposed to Aristocats and Marry Poppins and all the good shit from before I was born. It's all a matter of when and how you get to watch them.

As far as kids TV is concerned I think Adventure Time is still one of the greatest things and that's considered to be for kids... but totally was also perfect for a group of college stoners lmao.

• Like 7

I did realize I liked Tom Petty a lot more than I thought after he died. I just wasn't as familiar with his whole discography and then Jonah Ray played a handful of songs on his podcast after his death and I was like "Oh wow I like all of these."

I don't think I'm actually surprised about anyone in my list though. I stand by pretty much everyone I love even when people are like "Hahaha what?" lol. Like legit Incubus and Harry Styles are in my top 10 and I refuse to be ashamed lol.

• Like 4

The first 20 minutes of UP are, like, the saddest thing I can think of. That is not a children's movie. That is a movie for grouchy old people and I love it.

Funny. I started bawling near the end when he finds the book.

• Like 5

Funny. I started bawling near the end when he finds the book.

And the Ellie Badge? ... I guess I cried through the whole thing.

• Like 4

Hey, Horror nerds, I’m running through the Friday the 13th movies (currently on Part 2) and it appears like Jason might be suffering from alopecia or something; however, in Jason X - at least at the beginning - he seems to have a full head of Brillo Pad-esque, pubey hair. Is his triumph over male pattern baldness addressed later in the series?

Nm - apparently he’s got some kind of crazy Uruk Hai thing going on. I wonder why his mother went full Lex Luthor when he was a kid...

• Like 3

Do I need to binge watch the 11 movies before Jason X to understand the plot/characters without getting lost?

Also, do you think June feels the same way about spaceships as she does about planes (as discussed in the Con Air Force One episode)?

• Like 3

Do I need to binge watch the 11 movies before Jason X to understand the plot/characters without getting lost?

I watched it after only watching the first one. I was juuuuuuuust fine ;)

• Like 1

Question for those of you with kids:

Has there ever been some sort of children's entertainment (movie, music, book, etc.) that you ended up enjoying much more than your kids?

I don't think this is what you mean, but recently when we were viewing Mary Poppins - the scene near the end where Burt and Mr. Banks are discussing the bittersweet and fleeting nature of raising children (and childhood itself) I cried like a big dummy.

My daughter was mostly just interested in Andrew (The dog in the movie.)

Obviously, I love Tom Petty, but I never would have dreamed he would be in my Top Ten of all time. It was a very revelatory experience.

I love Petty so much.

I have that thing where I could probably come up with my 10 ALL-TIME favorite bands and 10 bands that I listen to a lot of right now. Big difference.

Anyway - one that would surprise me, yet be really high on the All Time list? Probably this guy

Elton-John-bird.jpg

Here's another one for the group in a similar vein - do you have a MOST HATED artist? I have a friend with an angry torrid passionate hate for Bob Seger. Legend has it that he shot a radio that was playing him once.

• Like 4

Do to crazy busy work I had some time to think this over. I easily could pull like 7 groups or musicians in a top 10 no question. Then thinking who might round it out. The one that came to mind that I was surprising okay with which I would have never though would make my top 10 would be Duran Duran. The more I thought about it and looked over it on my iTunes I realized I like them a lot more than I thought I did. As far as unusual goes I would easily hands down put DEVO on my top 5 maybe even 3. Most people just know Whip It but they have a lot of great songs from Gut Feeling, Beautiful World, to Uncontrollable Urge they have some great songs.

Here's another one for the group in a similar vein - do you have a MOST HATED artist? I have a friend with an angry torrid passionate hate for Bob Seger. Legend has it that he shot a radio that was playing him once.

As far as most hated... Joni Mitchell. This all stems back to my mother being hugely into folk music and having to listen to her a lot as a kid. I came to really really hate Paved Paradise. Not to mention hearing her more often as I should have growing up due to Canadian Content rules. I just came to irrationally hate her have avoided her ever since. I may enjoy her now but I may also just go back to my 8 year old self in the car begging my mom to change stations or songs.

• Like 2

Hey, Horror nerds, I’m running through the Friday the 13th movies (currently on Part 2) and it appears like Jason might be suffering from alopecia or something; however, in Jason X - at least at the beginning - he seems to have a full head of Brillo Pad-esque, pubey hair. Is his triumph over male pattern baldness addressed later in the series?

Nm - apparently he’s got some kind of crazy Uruk Hai thing going on. I wonder why his mother went full Lex Luthor when he was a kid...

Here's what I'll say and if you're watching them in order you'll appreciate this. There is real great continuity throughout the series in regards to Jason. Once Jason is introduced in Part II there is a direct through line to his story and elements that are carried over. Little things to like marks made to his mask, injuries he's had, and in the later parts remembering where he died in the previous film and starting him there. This last up until Part VIII which has a horrible ending. Then you get to Jason Goes to Hell which doesn't care about anything and the following ones too stop caring.

• Like 2

Here's what I'll say and if you're watching them in order you'll appreciate this. There is real great continuity throughout the series in regards to Jason. Once Jason is introduced in Part II there is a direct through line to his story and elements that are carried over. Little things to like marks made to his mask, injuries he's had, and in the later parts remembering where he died in the previous film and starting him there. This last up until Part VIII which has a horrible ending. Then you get to Jason Goes to Hell which doesn't care about anything and the following ones too stop caring.

All I know is that at some point, Jason must have really got into CrossFit.

xddkosrtlutfo4qnwkfv.jpg

421371-07.jpg

• Like 2

Do to crazy busy work I had some time to think this over. I easily could pull like 7 groups or musicians in a top 10 no question. Then thinking who might round it out. The one that came to mind that I was surprising okay with which I would have never though would make my top 10 would be Duran Duran. The more I thought about it and looked over it on my iTunes I realized I like them a lot more than I thought I did. As far as unusual goes I would easily hands down put DEVO on my top 5 maybe even 3. Most people just know Whip It but they have a lot of great songs from Gut Feeling, Beautiful World, to Uncontrollable Urge they have some great songs.

As far as most hated... Joni Mitchell. This all stems back to my mother being hugely into folk music and having to listen to her a lot as a kid. I came to really really hate Paved Paradise. Not to mention hearing her more often as I should have growing up due to Canadian Content rules. I just came to irrationally hate her have avoided her ever since. I may enjoy her now but I may also just go back to my 8 year old self in the car begging my mom to change stations or songs.

Duran Duran is a great one and probably pretty high up there for me, too. I’m not as familiar with Devo, but I’ve really come to love Depeche Mode and Oingo Boingo in the last year or so.

In response to “most hated,” I honestly don’t that I have one. Or at least, I’ve never really thought about it. Oh! I just thought about it: Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid Roooooooooooock! Politics aside, fuck that guy. He sucks.

• Like 3

All I know is that at some point, Jason must have really got into CrossFit.

xddkosrtlutfo4qnwkfv.jpg

421371-07.jpg

It's all that speed walking

• Like 2

A6zEx.gif

The bands that I can't fucking stand are the ones like Finger Eleven and Hinder. They fucking suck. ALSO YOU CAN'T RHYME KNOW WITH KNOW FINGER ELEVEN THAT'S SHITTY SONG WRITING.

• Like 3

The bands that I can't fucking stand are the ones like Finger Eleven and Hinder. They fucking suck. ALSO YOU CAN'T RHYME KNOW WITH KNOW FINGER ELEVEN THAT'S SHITTY SONG WRITING.

I don't disagree with you that Finger Eleven sucks, but I do disagree that if you rhyme the same word it's automatically bad songwriting.

• Like 4

I don't disagree with you that Finger Eleven sucks, but I do disagree that if you rhyme the same word it's automatically bad songwriting.

Fuck, I fucked up.

Though, there's still a difference there between Lin's ability to make this work and then you have Finger Eleven's

Even though I know

I don't want to know

Yeah I guess I know

That fucking drives me bonkers and I remember in high school it was on the radio ALL THE TIME and I would force my mom to change it every time lol.

• Like 2

I've never even heard of Finger Eleven, is worth listening to one song to see how bad it is or is that even too much?