🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 173.5 - Minisode 173.5

I think there's a big difference between the quoted lyrics from Hamilton and whoever Finger Eleven is. Miranda is really rhyming "real a", "milli" and "feel a". Yeah, "second" is in there but it's not like he's just rhymed "real a second" three times.

• Like 4

I think there's a big difference between the quoted lyrics from Hamilton and whoever Finger Eleven is. Miranda is really rhyming "real a", "milli" and "feel a". Yeah, "second" is in there but it's not like he's just rhymed "real a second" three times.

I wish I could like this post more than once.

• Like 2

Fuck, I fucked up.

Though, there's still a difference there between Lin's ability to make this work and then you have Finger Eleven's

That fucking drives me bonkers and I remember in high school it was on the radio ALL THE TIME and I would force my mom to change it every time lol.

I wish I could like this post more than once.

I mean, I wasn't trying to suggest that Finger Eleven was - in any way - on his level. I was making the point that even the best songwriters can be guilty of that. There's a bunch of other examples, which you can find here. These include the Beatles, The Doors, Madonna, Journey and a bunch of others.

However, it would be disingenuous if I didn't point out that Finger Eleven was specifically called out:

Finger Eleven's "One Thing" rhymes "thing" with "thing" twice, "time" with "time" once, and then goes on a Rhyming Rampage when it begins to rhyme "know" with "know" no less than nine times. This might make One Thing the ultimate example of this trope.
  • Like 5

I mean, I wasn't trying to suggest that Finger Eleven was - in any way - on his level. I was making the point that even the best songwriters can be guilty of that. There's a bunch of other examples, which you can find here. These include the Beatles, The Doors, Madonna, Journey and a bunch of others.

I don't have an inherent problem with rhyming a word with itself. It depends on the context and the lyrics and a bunch of stuff.

I think we can all agree the quoted Finger Eleven lyrics are trash.

• Like 4

I don't have an inherent problem with rhyming a word with itself. It depends on the context and the lyrics and a bunch of stuff.

I believe that's my issue with this song as well. In the case of The Beatles and Lin they can make that thing sound amazing while still going in to that trope, but when Finger Eleven does it it comes off as lazy and ends up sounding like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Basically it's like you need to properly know the rules in order to break them and I'm not sure if they know what the rules are lmao.

• Like 5

In response to “most hated,” I honestly don’t that I have one. Or at least, I’ve never really thought about it. Oh! I just thought about it: Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid Roooooooooooock! Politics aside, fuck that guy. He sucks.

He rhymes “things with things” - seems to be a common thread in the bands we hate so far.

Mine is Rod Stewart. Maggie May is the worst song in rock and roll... think about it and try to sing the melody and DON’T sing the first line. Did you do it? NO because you can’t... because there’s isn’t one.

• Like 5

I'm a big fan of the Zac Brown Band, and in the song Sweet Annie, they rhyme (iirc) sweet with sweet

• Like 1

Okay, new question: based on your tastes, what’s a band/musician you feel you should like but don’t?

For me, it’s Public Image Ltd. It’s not even that I hate them, it’s just they don’t really do anything for me. I can’t listen to more than a song or two before I’m ready to move on. I am, however, willing to admit the problem might just be with me.

http://youtu.be/zN-GGeNPQEg

• Like 2

Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" always drives me nuts with that.

And I was here to please / I'm even on knees / Makin' love to whoever I please

I guess I've never realized how much I like DLR Van Halen. As for hated bands, Bachman-Turner Overdrive. I've always hated BTO, they just sounded so smug, and then Tal Bachman's "She's So High" came out while I was in middle school and it was everywhere. I also absolutely cannot stand Imagine Dragons. Fling me into the sun.

• Like 2

Okay, new question: based on your tastes, what’s a band/musician you feel you should like but don’t?

Agreed on PiL, and I'm going to add in The Damned.

• Like 1

Lots, but the Rolling Stones probably top my list. A lot of classic rock superheroes land on the list, which is surprising to me. But sometimes music just doesn't register with me. Seems like you had to live through the times to "get" it.
  • Like 4

Something happened to me today that I need to share with all of you.

I went to a fitness class, so naturally that meant I got a cheeseburger for dinner at a local diner. And on the side they served me coleslaw.

And you'll never guess what was in the coleslaw.

RAISINS.

I don't remember which minisode we had the discussion that raisins should not be in coleslaw. (Sorry) But I think we all agreed that it was anathema.

I suppose now you're wondering, "How did they taste?" The answer to that is: I DIDN'T FUCKING EAT THE RAISINS, ARE YOU CRAZY.

• Like 9

I went to a fitness class, so naturally that meant I got a cheeseburger for dinner at a local diner. And on the side they served me coleslaw.

RAISINS.

I don't remember which minisode we had the discussion that raisins should not be in coleslaw. (Sorry) But I think we all agreed that it was anathema.

I suppose now you're wondering, "How did they taste?" The answer to that is: I DIDN'T FUCKING EAT THE RAISINS, ARE YOU CRAZY.

How are you doing today, Elektra?

Good for you! I hope you left a little pile of those fuckers on your plate just to show them you aren't going to fall for any of their disgusting nonsense.

• Like 3

RAISINS.

What color were the raisins? Wasn't that one of the things apologists claimed made a difference between stupid and unbelievably stupid?

• Like 3

RAISINS.

Somewhere I read a statistic that, no matter where you are in the world, you're never more than 3 feet from coleslaw with raisins.

Did you know that you that the average person eats over a dozen raisins in their sleep over the course of their life?

• Like 7

I wasn't aware until last week that A1 sauce was partially made up of raisins.

• Like 3

Look I thought we all came to the conclusion that we would at least try raisins in our coleslaw. Just a bite. See how it is, and then decide to discard them or not. I'm far from a raisin apologist but we all like grapes right? It's the same thing. Now does it belong in coleslaw? Again are we talking mayo coleslaw or vinegar coleslaw? There are a lot of factors here.

All I'm saying is give raisins a chance.

• Like 3

Look I thought we all came to the conclusion that we would at least try raisins in our coleslaw. Just a bite. See how it is, and then decide to discard them or not. I'm far from a raisin apologist but we all like grapes right? It's the same thing. Now does it belong in coleslaw? Again are we talking mayo coleslaw or vinegar coleslaw? There are a lot of factors here.

tumblr_mx79dzBKAu1qck5uno10_r1_250.gif

• Like 6

Raisins in my cereal? Raisins in my cookies? I'm good with that. Raisins in my coleslaw? Blech.

Much like Cameron H's opinion on high schools, I'm a total segregationist when it comes to raisins.

• Like 4