🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BenjaminCornelius-Bates

Hitchcock

I've noticed that Hitchcock has not appeared yet on The Canon. I'm particularly fond of Vertigo, but that feels too easy. So does The 39 Steps, though I don't know how well modern audiences know Hitchcock's early British films. So many good choices! Any thoughts?

The problem with Hitchcock is that he is basically a canon unto himself. There are at least 30 movies in his filmography that could be considered slam dunks for the Canon. It would be easier to create a podcast devoted entirely to Hitchcock than to debate which two or three of his films might be considered "definitive."

Having said that, I just re-watched The Lodger last week, and I do think it would make for an excellent episode of the Canon. Hitchcock considered it his first "real" film, but it is most definitely not a slam dunk. I know Andrew Pulver of the Guardian is a big fan of the film, he would probably be a great guest host.

(BTW @DrEricFritz when I first read the title of your post, I thought you were nominating the film "Hitchcock" starring Anthony Hopkins!)

Vertigo

Strangers on a Train

Psycho

So many great thrillers with intensely repressed sexual themes.

With the current Weinstein-train, there's an interesting thought experiment, considering how abusive Hitchcock was to his women that I'm sure it would affect our view of his (pretty terrific regardless) films.

Almost any Hitchcock film is too easy. I think you'd have to do a versus. Maybe Shadow of a Doubt vs Vertigo or Psycho?

Yes, I think Hitchcock would be best suited for a versus episode, though The Birds could be an interesting movie to debate since it's more polarizing than his other "top shelf" movies.

Sign in to follow this