🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ramblin03

Oprah game - Constructive Feedback

I'm a new listener to Totally Laime after the earwolf challenge and Elizabeth was on JJGo. I really like the podcast and have gone into some of the back episodes (pre-earwolf) as well as keeping current.

The rapidfire is a great game, but Oprah really doesn't work for me. It's almost always a lull or low point of the episode. You've been doing this podcast for a while now and some random person isn't going to govern which bits you do, but it can't hurt to give well intentioned feedback.

* The steup is long compared to the actual payoff of the bit. On Comedy Bang Bang, some of the themes are long but that is part of the bit, and the game is fun and goes on for 5-10 minutes. Having the Oprah song and the selection of a random number and the reading of the synopsis all drags along and ultimately the payoff can really hit or miss. This can be especially painful when the number the guest chooses for some reason doesn't work out.

* Often the guests don't know what the bit is. This is the fundamental issue, and perhaps shows that I just don't know what the bit is supposed to be either.

Ep 89 Ken Marino - After 2 minutes of setup. "Ken, what are your thoughts on that?" Ken: What are my thoughts !? I'm against it."
Ken plays it off well, but still, what was the point of the bit? To put someone in headlights and hope they have a funny one-liner?

* Why Oprah, and why random? Wouldn't it work just as well to clue the guest in before recording, or to have a pre-selected synopsis that is sure to drive conversation? That way you avoid the potential traps of horrible comedy starters.

Again, this is not meant to be harsh. Perhaps I am in a small minority when it comes to this segment of the show. What I enjoy about your podcast (and believe me, I enjoy most of it) is the largely organic interaction with the guest, and the amusing stories and interplays of the guest with Elizabeth, Andy, and the two of you with each other. I have to believe that this strength is what won you the challenge and has grown your listenership. There is no need to add a self-imposed disruption for the sake of playing the Oprah game. Or at the very least, re-tool it to make it more guest AND listener friendly.

Hey George! THanks for the post/feedback and you are totally right on all counts! We/I agree with you completely but the deal with the Oprah game is that we know it's dumb and weird and doesn't work and is a huge sore thumb but we did it on our first episode (because I'm obsessed with Oprah) and it bombed but because we are masochists or just stupid, we vowed to do it in every episode and never change it! So now we are stuck with it, whether we like it or not and now it's sort of become a fun part for us because we know it sucks so bad. Does that make sense? So, thanks for sticking with us in spite of our shortcomings - and I hope you'll come around to the terribleness that is the Oprah game. :)

The only low point in your show is when it finishes.

Sign in to follow this