🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nkrown

The Stuff (1985)

May I humbly suggest "The Stuff" (1985)?

"A delicious mysterious goo that oozes from the Earth is marketed as the newest dessert sensation. But the sugary treat rots more than teeth when zombie-like snackers begin infesting the world."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6UPDzJ3XVhg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Movie starts off with a guy seeing The stuff bubbling in the snow and he eats it. Its so good he wants to sell it. And of course its alive and people are possessed and have to eat it more of it. Ice cream companies want to investigate why everyone is eating the Stuff. From the commercials to crazy dogs this movie is for you!

One of the leads in this movie is called "Chocolate Chip Charlie". I'm okay with that.

And fuck me, this is a great movie. Larry Cohen made some classics, and this is one of them.

Watched this many times. Definitely a how did this awesome thing get made.

• Like 1

this movie is one of my favorites.

but i don't think that it reached that large of an audience. hate to be the 'how did this get made' police because it's not MY podcast, but i feel like the podcast is best when focused on a film that either aims high or makes it to too large of an audience. as far as i remember, the stuff never hit a major theater release and sort of achieved what it meant to achieve. plus it's just a great fucking movie.

i'm not against hearing paul june and jason plus guest react to the amazing scenes in this movie... fuck who am i to say no? do it!

• Like 1

I believe this is on Netflix still. The main character is a poorly executed "James Bond/Roger Moore" type who cracks bad jokes as he unravels an international mystery involving a food that seems pretty similar to Marshmallow Fluff. Their is a young boy character (for the kids!) who is seriously the worst child actor in the entire world. His character seems to be the only person in America who is suspicious of The Stuff.

The biggest name in the movie is Garret Morris. He is supposed to be a famous Kung Fu master or something but obviously has no real life talent at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6Z1nBqLwo

Stuffffffffff.jpg

Imagine the Street Trash or Toxic Avenger...only this time scaled back to a CBS After School Special budget. There's a main character that is 7 shades darker than Bernie Mac (who's features I can only make out now I upgraded from VHS to DVD) and the goo is more than vaguely reminiscent of semen.

from IMDB:

Plot

A delicious mysterious goo that oozes from the Earth is marketed as the newest dessert sensation. But the sugary treat rots more than teeth when zombie-like snackers begin infesting the world.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE6Z1nBqLwo

An Invasion of the Body Snatchers style sci-fi movie featuring Michael Moriarty, Garrett Morris, and Paul Sorvino where a small town finds a white liquid rising from the ground that apparently tastes great, causing them to sell it as a yogurt-esque product that people love. Unfortunately the simply named Stuff turns people into violent addicts controlled by the product and from what's shown in the movie, hollows out their bodies to where it's just Stuff inside them. When not in a body The Stuff acts like the Blob and tries to infect as many people as possible. Moriarty plays a corporate spy originally tasked with finding how the stuff is made so a secret cabal of ice cream conglomerates can copy the recipe, Morris plays a ice cream company owner who is skilled in hand-to-hand combat for some reason, and Sorvino plays a racist Ted Turner like militia leader who helps to reveal the secret of The Stuff.

There's a lot to laugh at in this movie from Moriarty's odd southern accent to the 80s special effects for dead bodies and The Stuff. Also there is a scene where Danny Aiello plays an FDA reviewer who gets killed by the friendliest looking dog despite the puppet version of the dog attacking him in a poorly cut scene.

This movie needs some attention. Man vs. Addictive Killer Alien Ice Cream!

Starring Garrett Morris, Michael Moriarty, Paul Sorvino, and featuring Danny Aiello.

I remember watching the stuff on the commercial free Sunday afternoon movie when I was kid. The stuff has all the worst parts of The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and They Live. it was a riot to watch the stuff as a kid and I think it would be blast to have how did this get made give this movie the business.

thank you

This movie is fantastic, and every time I watch it I want to eat that Stuff. It looks like a mixture of froyo and marshmallow fluff, and I bet it would taste like the really good vanilla, and like, heaven. I mean it'd better for what it eventually does.

• Haha 1

Bumping this one, as it is a prime candidate for HDTGM

There is so much to talk about in this and to mock and more importantly enjoy because no mater what you have to say about it's short Cummings this is an enjoyable movie.

• Like 1

This would be a good Halloween flick and could be in honor of Larry Cohen, RIP.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this