🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Elektra Boogaloo

Episode 176 - The Jazz Singer: LIVE!

Okay, awful Christmas songs that may just do it for you! I'll just do two for now.

First off, remember Aqua? No? Remember that song "Barbie Girl"? Well, that's Aqua! They release a Christmas song which is very... 90s European. I think this song won me over with really weird jabs at Cocacola for making Santa red not green, and Wham! for Last Christmas.

Bon Jovi in the early 80s covered Clarence Carter's "

" which is exactly what you think it's about. However, that wasn't his first Christmas song. He did the main vocals for a song I'll make no apologizes for enjoying, R2-D2 We Wish You A Merry Christmas:

• Like 2

I mean, “awful” is such a subjective term...We had an impromptu, in-the-kitchen, dance party last night to Fred Schneider and the Superions “Fruitcake.” 3/4 of my Family loves this song.

http://youtu.be/SwxcFmToim8

• Like 1

I mean, “awful” is such a subjective term...We had an impromptu, in-the-kitchen, dance party last night to Fred Schneider and the Superions “Fruitcake.” 3/4 of my Family loves this song.

Curious who the 1/4 was.

As a big Beatles fan and therefore a Paul McCartney fan what is is your stance on Wonderful Christmas Time?

• Like 1

Curious who the 1/4 was.

The Joyless One :)

tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.jpg

As a big Beatles fan and therefore a Paul McCartney fan what is is your stance on Wonderful Christmas Time?

Quite possibly one of his finest songs - after “Temporary Secretary.”

• Like 2

Speaking of “Wonderful Christmastime,” did you know Jimmy Buffett did a cover it on his album 'Tis the SeaSon (Get it?)

Anyway, her’s a gem of a tune from that album (which I also own)

http://youtu.be/9z7NcIiG_yo

Speaking of “Wonderful Christmastime,” did you know Jimmy Buffett did a cover it on his album 'Tis the SeaSon (Get it?)

Anyway, her’s a gem of a tune from that album (which I also own)

Sadly the video is not available.

I have his Christmas Island CD but not SeaSon(still groaning over that) The titular track.

• Like 1

And since we're on the subject: I did kind of cringe when Gethard pointed out that "Hip Hop was happening at the time." I'm sure it wasn't his intention, but it did come off like, "Black people can't possibly like Neil Diamond; they like rap." Or...maybe people are people and can like whatever the fuck they want? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this is a good observation. I think we are reacting to Neil Diamond doing a mintrel performance so strongly (and yeah, it's pretty dang bad), that we actually revert to the mentality that led to the writing of the club being offended by Diamond's presence. Like, black people and black culture are so insular that it is INCONCEIVABLE that they might like something not directly associated with that culture? It's like we're running in circles and getting back to being offensive.

But seriously, white people, don't put on race-altering makeup. I mean, holy shit. Come on.

• Like 3

Bon Jovi in the early 80s covered Clarence Carter's "

" which is exactly what you think it's about. However, that wasn't his first Christmas song. He did the main vocals for a song I'll make no apologizes for enjoying, R2-D2 We Wish You A Merry Christmas:

Being a Stars Wars fan, I am ashamed that I was unfamiliar with this. Holy shit, this is bonkers. Anyway, my unabashed favorite Christmas album is Rob Halford - Winter Songs. It's half classics, half originals and I love the hell out of it. I mean, I worship at the Halford Altar, but I hope you all can get some enjoyment out of it...

• Like 2

I don't even really like Christmas, but this song is my FUCKING JAM! I basically wait all year for it to be Christmas time just to blast this and Last Christmas.

• Like 2