🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cinco DeNio

Musical Mondays Week 26 Preview (Jammer Lea's 2nd Pick)

So I've been sick in bed for a few days... and I watched 12 Dates of Christmas.

It's a pretty terrible rip-off of Groundhog Day,

but I did genuinely enjoyed it. Coincidentally I want to have Mark Paul Gosselaar's tiny Zack Morris babies.

I’m sick, too! Still watching it. I’m wondering why

they chose to have his wife’s death be the result of a 3 Stooges-esque pratfall.

• Like 6

980x.gif

OMG I know. I was super high on NyQuil, but

I remember thinking it paralleled her story of trying to get everything right. At one point my boy MP says something like "If I had gotten home a half hour earlier " or some shit... In a way it echoed the lesson she was supposed to be learning? Maybe? NyQuil Rules!

• Like 4

So I've been sick in bed for a few days... and I watched 12 Dates of Christmas.

It's a pretty terrible rip-off of Groundhog Day,

but I did genuinely enjoyed it. Coincidentally I want to have Mark Paul Gosselaar's tiny Zack Morris babies.

In the movie universe...

does the movie Groundhog Day not exist? It would make explaining to your friends and doctors what happened a lot easier for Amy Smart.

• Like 7

In the movie universe...

does the movie Groundhog Day not exist? It would make explaining to your friends and doctors what happened a lot easier for Amy Smart.

More like

Amy Dumb

• Like 5

I’m sick, too! Still watching it. I’m wondering why

they chose to have his wife’s death be the result of a 3 Stooges-esque pratfall.

"It's just to die from something as petty as slipping on tea." - Marko Ramius

• Like 2

Another 12 dates of Christmas thing:

I was particularly bothered by how it seemed she had to be in bed with her dog for the time rewind to happen, since the magic seemed to come from the jewelry partridge's eye twinkle as well as the "spell" that said that he offer lasts until midnight. But then a few "days" later the filmmakers decided to forget about that and she just always go back at midnight no matter where she is.

Kind of a cop-out.

• Like 5

I was particularly bothered by how it seemed she had to be in bed with her dog for the time rewind to happen, since the magic seemed to come from the jewelry partridge's eye twinkle as well as the "spell" that said that he offer lasts until midnight. But then a few "days" later the filmmakers decided to forget about that and she just always go back at midnight no matter where she is.

Kind of a cop-out.

I just watched this movie and:

A dog couldn't just kick the remote on. Also to come on to the home shopping channel means she was watching that when she turned it off.

However, where was the dog coming from? In the first few dates he was dropped off by the ex and then she starts having these wild days and is going all over the place and the dog still shows up. Did she always make a point to be there to pick up the dog? He stopped phoning to arrange a time or did they just do it earlier in the day or something. Also, you mean to tell me the day she just ran into his building and was acting all weird or the surprise visit at the ring shop the ex was like "Well I guess I best go drop the dog off now" I'd think he'd be more like "Boy, she was acting strange. Maybe we'll just take him up to the cabin with us."

• Like 5

When Jim tells her that there are no problems that hot cocoa can't solve, did anyone else think, "What about Type 2 Diabetes, Jim?"

• Like 6

Kind of a cop-out.

Something that always bothered me is

they never explain this magic repeating. No elves or Santa hijinks, no magical items (because come on, if it was the home shopping network, there’d be half a dozen people doing the same thing), no weird Christmas spells. I just really wanted the woman that ‘spritzed’ her to show up on day 12 and be like ‘gotcha’!

I’m really happy you guys are all enjoying this movie. It’s my favorite tradition.

• Like 5

Something that always bothered me is

they never explain this magic repeating. No elves or Santa hijinks, no magical items (because come on, if it was the home shopping network, there’d be half a dozen people doing the same thing), no weird Christmas spells. I just really wanted the woman that ‘spritzed’ her to show up on day 12 and be like ‘gotcha’!

I’m really happy you guys are all enjoying this movie. It’s my favorite tradition.

It's been quite a while but there isn't an explanation in Groundhogs Day either is there?

My biggest problem, besides Amy Smart playing a completely unlikable character, is that she doesn't seem to understand no one should recognize her. She acts as though Mark-Paul Gosselaar (or everyone) should know who she is despite knowing none of the characters are experiencing the same thing she is.

• Like 5

It's been quite a while but there isn't an explanation in Groundhogs Day either is there?

My biggest problem, besides Amy Smart playing a completely unlikable character, is that she doesn't seem to understand no one should recognize her. She acts as though Mark-Paul Gosselaar (or everyone) should know who she is despite knowing none of the characters are experiencing the same thing she is.

That’s because she’s the worst and never learns not to be self centered. I feel like this whole situation enforces her belief she’s the center of the universe.

Also I’ve never seen Groundhog’s Day (gasp) because I’m really bad at seeing classic movies

• Like 5

That’s because she’s the worst and never learns not to be self centered. I feel like this whole situation enforces her belief she’s the center of the universe.

Which further doesn't make sense because the point of the movie is that she learns to make all these other people's lives better...but she's being self centered until the very moment she starts doing this. She never learned to be good. So what is her reasoning to not be a jerk?

• Like 5

It's been quite a while but there isn't an explanation in Groundhogs Day either is there

IMDB trivia says this:

Early drafts of the script explained the cause of Phil Connors' weird experience: a disaffected ex-lover named Stephanie cast a spell on him.

but, yes... the film never states this. It's just God against Phil.

In 12DOC the rewind is clearly caused by the partridge pendant.

giphy.gif

Although her glitch in the time continuum seems to have been caused by the perfume spritz plus being super bitchy on Christmas... while hearing the 12 days of Christmas being sung by carolers.

I just really wanted the woman that ‘spritzed’ her to show up on day 12 and be like ‘gotcha’!

Yes! She's the one who made this all happen... and they never explored her story once! Why not her instead of the RANDO snowflake lighting guy and his slightly unamused but generally friendly girlfriend? Like... what even is that? Making snowflake lighting designs in public places as a show of affection? Huh?

A dog couldn't just kick the remote on. Also to come on to the home shopping channel means she was watching that when she turned it off.

However, where was the dog coming from? In the first few dates he was dropped off by the ex and then she starts having these wild days and is going all over the place and the dog still shows up. Did she always make a point to be there to pick up the dog? He stopped phoning to arrange a time or did they just do it earlier in the day or something. Also, you mean to tell me the day she just ran into his building and was acting all weird or the surprise visit at the ring shop the ex was like "Well I guess I best go drop the dog off now" I'd think he'd be more like "Boy, she was acting strange. Maybe we'll just take him up to the cabin with us."

Yes to all the dog questions. The dog seemed like such a big deal at first and I know he's there intermittently (and at the end), but definitely not all the time... and Why!? At first, they make it seem like he's a part of this whole magic thing, but then they just stop including him. There are "days" that she never even mentions her beloved Jack Russell. Was it just cheaper to film without him?

• Like 5

Also I’ve never seen Groundhog’s Day (gasp) because I’m really bad at seeing classic movies

I don't think it has been making the streaming rounds lately, but the next time it does you should see it. It's so delightful and I just love it so much. Bill Murray is f*cking great.

• Like 3

Which further doesn't make sense because the point of the movie is that she learns to make all these other people's lives better...but she's being self centered until the very moment she starts doing this. She never learned to be good. So what is her reasoning to not be a jerk?

Yes... one of her last "days" she goes shopping for designer clothes, buys a lambourgini, and spends most of her day eating donuts at a salon.

• Like 4

Yes... one of her last "days" she goes shopping for designer clothes, buys a lambourgini, and spends most of her day eating donuts at a salon.

She also gives an expensive looking coat to a homeless woman and I was like, “Oh, great. Now we’re going to see that poor woman falsely arrested or mugged.”

• Like 4

It's funny you say this, because - originally - Musical Mondays (when it was only, like, 5 of us) was only supposed to last a year. This morning, I got a reminder on my phone that "Musical Mondays becomes Missed Classics." The idea was to basically do the same thing as Musical Monday, but pick a "classic" movie that we'd never seen. Like, you could pick Groundhog Day and I could pick Lawrence of Arabia.

Anyway, while I doubt - since we're all still enjoying it - that we're going to abandon Musical Mondays (not to mention there are people who haven't had a 1st pick yet), but it does make me reflect on all of this a bit. December 19th is the one year anniversary of our first movie: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I could not be happier about how this has all turned out. Musical Mondays, for me, has been a bright spot in an otherwise craptacular year. I've enjoyed watching all of your picks! I'm super glad that - from an off-the-cuff remark from Fister Roboto - we've been able to build something really cool. I'm super glad we've all been able to bond over this and I look forward to what we'll watch in the new year.

I guess I'm saying - Thanks for watching movies with me, guys! :)

• Like 7

Yeah... It's fun...

1417641672822.jpg

I like movies.

• Like 6

It's funny you say this, because - originally - Musical Mondays (when it was only, like, 5 of us) was only supposed to last a year. This morning, I got a reminder on my phone that "Musical Mondays becomes Missed Classics." The idea was to basically do the same thing as Musical Monday, but pick a "classic" movie that we'd never seen. Like, you could pick Groundhog Day and I could pick Lawrence of Arabia.

Anyway, while I doubt - since we're all still enjoying it - that we're going to abandon Musical Mondays (not to mention there are people who haven't had a 1st pick yet), but it does make me reflect on all of this a bit. December 19th is the one year anniversary of our first movie: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I could not be happier about how this has all turned out. Musical Mondays, for me, has been a bright spot in an otherwise craptacular year. I've enjoyed watching all of your picks! I'm super glad that - from an off-the-cuff remark from Fister Roboto - we've been able to build something really cool. I'm super glad we've all been able to bond over this and I look forward to what we'll watch in the new year.

And thank YOU for doing all you do to organize it and encourage us! We have discovered movies together! FILM FRIENDS! Yay internet!

giphy.gif

No, really. The internet, and message boards in general, are usually such garbage piles. I know I have said this before, but it is both heartening and remarkable that we have, along with the HDTGM podcast, founded and engineered this small yet positive and encouraging community of film lovers. Good work, dudes and dames.

• Like 7

Okay, back to 12 DOC.

Was it weird for anyone else that her new friend ended up getting engaged to Snowflake dude? Didn't theyt decide, during the scene where they were all baking, that it would be better if they broke up? Of course, this would be against the movie's thesis: you will be miserable for all eternity if you don't fall in love with your forever partner right now. Like, I didn't get why her work friend was good for Toby other than she wasn't Phyllis(?) and she was single.

Also, considering how bad Smart repeatedly screwed up over the course of 12 days, I really don't feel confident that they'll make it to New Years. With Groundhog Day, you really feel like Murray had become a better person by the end, but with this, all I could think was, "You're so going to fuck this up tomorrow, Amy, and you don't have anymore do-overs."

• Like 3

12 Dates of Christmas - one of my biggest gripes was when Miles tells Amy Smart that he designs parks and he mentions "You know Prospect Park?" and Amy Smart goes "You designed it?" Like, that's a >100 year old park designed by Olmsted and Vaux. Ok, so maybe she didn't know the names of the 2 landscape architects, but she seriously thought Miles designed the fucking thing?

Also, I had to Google what cherry chips were (the ones used in her neighbor's cake). But then when they showed the actual cake, it looked like a regular fruit cake?

Lastly, I don't care how nice an ex is, I would never lend my dog to them.

• Like 5

12 Dates of Christmas - one of my biggest gripes was when Miles tells Amy Smart that he designs parks and he mentions "You know Prospect Park?" and Amy Smart goes "You designed it?" Like, that's a >100 year old park designed by Olmsted and Vaux. Ok, so maybe she didn't know the names of the 2 landscape architects, but she seriously thought Miles designed the fucking thing?

Also, I had to Google what cherry chips were (the ones used in her neighbor's cake). But then when they showed the actual cake, it looked like a regular fruit cake?

Lastly, I don't care how nice an ex is, I would never lend my dog to them.

I loved how every bit of new information we learn about Miles makes him more unbelievably awesome and sympathetic. “Of course he quotes Thoreau...” “He volunteers with foster kids? You don’t say...”

• Like 4

I loved how every bit of new information we learn about Miles makes him more unbelievably awesome and sympathetic. “Of course he quotes Thoreau...” “He volunteers with foster kids? You don’t say...”

Let's run down Miles charm points shall we?

• He's an architect (?City planner, landscape designer?)
  • He not only volunteers his time to coach hockey to underprivileged teens, but is highly involved in their lives.
  • He's a widower at like 35?
  • He cooks
  • He is like off-the-charts good looking

This guy would only be single by choice.

• Like 5

Let's run down Miles charm points shall we?

[*]He's an architect (?City planner, landscape designer?)

A "parkitect." He also quotes poetry (literate/sensitive), has a cottage in the woods (outdoorsy), hokey player (athletic), a church goer (obviously important for the intended audience), and arrives to events 2 hours early (punctual/reliable).

• Like 3