🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 29 — Atheism

Hello, my name is Dave Puntsberger. Please keep doing the hatch bit, it's a small thing that gives your show a certain context that lasts for the entire episode. It's not as overt as The Apple Sisters, but it keeps continuity from show to show and funny is always mined from bringing it up. I look forward to listening to more Doctor Blastoff in the future. Blastronauts, lift off imminent!

Great show guys! Have you ever looked into Joseph Campbell? The power of myth [i think the tv/lecture version is on netflix] and the hero with 1000 faces have a lot of interesting stuff to say about a lot of different belief systems through history, their similarities and the sort of overarching function of them on an anthropological level. I think in discussions about Atheism it's kind of easier to focus on fundametalist religious people who take everything incredibly literally, but I feel like there's a lot of people out there who 'believe in' science and just sort of look at religion as a cultural interpretation of these sort of inexplicable things and that sort of moral/social ground. The impersonal God vs the personal God idea. Granted it's the extreme fundamentalist people that drive us into wars and all that crazyness. But I think there's a lot of people that fall into the grey middle ground, where they prescribe to a belief but don't take any specific religious text literally.

Either way rad show! I just got into blastoff more recently and started at the beginning! Thanks for being awesome!

Sign in to follow this