🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kung-Fu Ramone

Ghost Fever

I wanted to second this one. This movie is wackadoodle. It's about 2 detectives (one of which is Sherman Hemsley) that are sent to evict 2 women from an old southern estate (because that's what detectives do, right?). The plantation house ends up being haunted by the ghost of the racist old plantation owner, his son, and several of his slaves. Oh boy. The detectives find a machine the racist old plantation owner made, that basically forces slaves to shake their hips or they'll get a spike up their ass. The 2 women who live in the house (hot young blondes) keep mysteriously hitting on the old men. We eventually find out the old racist plantation owner was cursed by voodoo (because whoever wrote this forgot to close the stereotype chest) and he's soon going to become flesh again, except no, he'll actually be a vampire, but then he's a mummy, and then he wants to turn everyone into zombies. WTF? Oh, and at one point the slave ghost smokes a giant ghost joint and gets everyone high, and Sherman Hemsley decides to enter a boxing match. Oh and the girls are actually ghosts who have to take special ectoplasm pills to stay young. And in the end everyone dies. No seriously, everyone dies. Fun for the whole family!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJ1xmkG3UU&feature=youtu.be

I love that Hemsley had himself listed twice in the end credits for playing his character and his character's ghost grandfather. It's almost like he was saying, 'Yeah this is a turd, but it's my turd dammit!'.

• Like 1

Fun fact: Sherman Hemsley invested about $3 million of his own money in this movie. Its disastrous reception is part of why he eventually had to declare bankruptcy.

Also, he sings the theme song under the credits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7gp8HAc190

For a second, I thought that said "Vocal by James Cromwell".

Well now I just want to hear James Cromwell sing Ghost Fever.

Sherman Hemsley's character was killed by a small-time criminal named Rollo Tomasi, or at least that's what I call him to make him seem more real.

This movie looks nuts. At least as bad as it looks, it doesn't look Nothing But Trouble levels of upsetting. This would make a great Halloween episode.

Sign in to follow this