🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 132 — Occupy Thanksgiving

I do not like what any musical guest has brought to any episode so far. For one thing, they're almost never funny -- check. For another, the need to take time out for live music every ten minutes is a momentum-killer. The mere presence of a musical guest means you'll never get on a roll the way Fagin Platt or Adam Scott/Harris Wittels did. In other words... it's going to be okay at best.

Before James Adomian showed up, it was pretty dire. Even still there was only so much he could do. And it was painfully obvious that Grant Lee Shepard just had no clue what he was supposed to do with "What Am I Thinking?" Hint: It's not a word-association test.

Quickest way to embarrass yourself on our forums:

Complain about our incredible, one of a kind musical performances.

• Like 1

Apologies to Dustin and all live musical guests, but I have to agree with Hot Dog. I have always and will always fast-forward the musical performances. Not because I dislike them, but because it's not what I'm in the mood for when I press play on Comedy Bang Bang.

That's a shame. You should really go back and listen to all those Reggie Watts performances you fast-forwarded through.

• Like 1

Point being, this show has always been about music! We're so lucky when people come together and want to make it in our studio!

Thank you for the kind words everyone; our crew, the hosts and people who visit our site really benefit from your open support.

I really enjoyed this episode too! Happy Thanksgiving!

P.S Collin Denney is an incredible artist.

When Dov asked/warned permission to ejaculate, and then ejaculated, my heart was flying - nay, soaring. Adomian's just that GOOD.

But I gotta be honest, I've fast forwarded all recent live musical stuff* since the FOD merger apart from Nick Lowe. Even Mathew Sweet, whose Girlfriend album is one of my favourites from the 90s. It's not that I'm anti any of the performers, it's purely that, like Ben V, I'm just not in the mood for anything that's at all earnest when I'm trucking along to the comedic stylings of Hot Saucerman and whacky pals, no matter how pretty the melodies nor how honeyed the voices.

On the other hand a bunch of fans seem to really dig it and Scott clearly does too so I can live with riding the ff button here and there knowing that others are delighted. I'm just that magnanimus** of a son-of-a-bitch.

* I exclude the rap battles and the improvised songs (this ep's was aces) though. Those are CBB things I'm fully in the mood for.
** I don't really know what "magnanimus" means but I've heard smart people use it something like this.

you guys should get your money back... oh wait... it's free CREATIVE content (i think the artists can handle formatting the show)

@Dustin.....Lets be honest, not one person on this forum or anywhere for that matter would ever fast forward through one of Reggie's performances.....That being said can he be on again soon, please?

Even if content is free, people are allowed to express opinion and criticism about the content. That's what's great about media- it sparks differing opinions. I, too, am not a huge fan of the in-studio performances, mostly because I'm not a fan of the specific type of music, and I'm listening to CBB because I am in the mood for comedy, not music. I do, however, chuckle at the idea of some accomplished musicians sitting in the studio listening to the characters' crazy antics and talk of fingering and wondering "what the hell did I agree to?". Luckily, it's a podcast so therefore I can fast forward when I need to. Also, Scott seems to like the music, and he can do what he wants, it's his effing show.

@Brian Did anyone say they demanded some kind of compensation?
-
I like the songs so I'm not complaining, but I'm also fine with people posting on the forums to say they don't like them. (as long as they're not just saying things to be a dick, which I don't think anybody was) It's more interesting to read than people bringing out that "you can't complain because it's free" argument that Jeff Ulrich himself has said he disagrees with.
-
*edit* Robin posted something similar while I was writing this, but I'll leave this here anyway.

Honest opinion... I wasn't a fan of M. Cho's songs. Lyrics seemed incredibly predictable and not creative or humorous at all. I'm not a fast-forwarder, I like to give everything a fair chance. Not complaining at all, I'm sure most listeners probably loved her music, and CBB still remains #1 out of the 19 podcasts I listen to every week. The only reason I am even bringing it up is because I don't believe that anyone should be embarrassed to voice their opinion when there's something they don't like about the show.

my point wasnt that the conversation couldn't, and shouldn't be had, but that it is a tired conversation. i have a simple belief on the matter, just enjoy what is being given to you. i don't understand how complaints can be made about something like this, because in the end just having opinions, and voicing them over and over again, doesn't do anything. this will come off blunt, and i don't represent anyones opinions but my own, but if you really feel like something can be done better, then do it. so my point wasn't to be mindless, opinionless drones, but the opposite. create something the way that you think it should be done, its way more effective than just adding to the minutia of "this makes my earholes less happy than that".

edit; also, in my opinion, compensation was asked for, people are asking, essentially, for the format to be changed, which is not even a constant format. you get more done with positivity, say what you like more, not what you like less.

Really enjoyed this episode. I'm with Dustin, CBB/CDR has always had a musical element. The fact that the show has grown enough to pull in talent like Nick Lowe (NICK LOWE!!!!) is pretty incredible.

Also, this is as good a time as any to share this pic of my wife and Margaret Cho telling me that I'm #3 (or something).

[attachment=10819,277]

To be clear, of course CDR/CBB has often had a music element. That's why I didn't say it's the music as a whole which breaks the mood for me, it's the EARNEST music. I could listen to Scottrick play Sarah Silverman and FOTC and Reggie tunes till the cows come home. (I wish I knew how to make italics on this forum. Capitalisation just feels so uncivilised and yet I feel I MUST emphazize my points once in a WHILE.)

And to make it clearer to Brian, I can dig your vibe but I know many creative mofos (including myself) who WANT (constructive) feedback of all kinds. They/we DESIRE it. They/we HUNGER for it. Like the GREAT Mathew "Matt" Besser said during the Earwolf Challenge, when you're making radio/podcasts it's the written feedback which is analogous to the crowd feedback we performers want/desire/hunger for on stage. It doesn't mean you bend to the whim of each listener, but it's almost always interesting and helpful to see how one's art is perceived by the more respectful (and may I add, suave) members of the audience.

Ironically the one artist who BUCKS this trend is the world famous Scottabot, an artist possessed of such steely belief in his own vision that all of our ramblings here are like water off a duck's back. And that duck is greased from head to (webbed) toe. But I like to hear myself talk so much I'm saying it anyway.

I like the live music element a lot. I haven't liked every live song though. But I'd like it to keep happening. As far as killing momentum, I think an argument could be made that it bodes even better for the show to have a performer play live rather than cut to an mp3. I'm probably ill equipped to make that argument.

>>>>>>"That's a shame. You should really go back and listen to all those Reggie Watts performances you fast-forwarded through."

Obviously no one is talking about Reggie Watts, who is awesome.

There are at least four people here saying they don't like the music performances, and that's out of what, 10 people total commenting?

>>>>>"Quickest way to embarrass yourself on our forums:
Complain about our incredible, one of a kind musical performances."

Doug is just straight-up insulting people who don't share his musical taste here.
Sure Doug, real embarrassing to not listen to overly-earnest singer-songwriters in 2011. Oops, I've totally outed myself!

christ i just had to edit that like 7 times. damn u bbcode : [

Why does Scott keep mentioning that he knew M. Cho in the 90's? It seems that he is trying to imply that he dated and "knew" her. Looks like he has a thing for asian ladies. __

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, nice try Boug but I don't think anyone's falling for that one.

Sign in to follow this