đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 28 Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit

Can we talk for a second about the "If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you better wake up and pay attention."

OK... Why are they reciting this? For what purpose? This is music class, but she isn't having them sing it... so when Bobo Kelly Clarkson says "Hey, can we waken this up a little?" Whoopi is BOWLED OVER. "WAIT WAIT... WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?" Did she not see them singing and rapping on their own at least 2 other times?? I did!

Also - Real teenagers would do EXACTLY NONE OF THESE THINGS. Even in the 90's. Real teens would do the pranks and maybe even play some music on a boom box (that's what the kids use, right?) but otherwise would sit and roll their eyes through 99% of this whole experince. The whole rap battle thing feels SO disingenuous to me. I could be wrong though...I did go to highschool in the 90s, but I did not go to a inner city school.

• Like 6

Since it's after Christmas, I hope everyone recognizes Mary Wickes (Sister Mary Lazarus)75b8eef8469030da7de56b5c486e9052.jpg

from a seasonal favorite...

tumblr_mtp9gtjo321rkx03vo3_500.gif

Pick a little, talk a little...

pickalittle.jpg

• Like 3

Can we talk for a second about the "If you want to be somebody, if you want to go somewhere, you better wake up and pay attention."

OK... Why are they reciting this? For what purpose? This is music class, but she isn't having them sing it... so when Bobo Kelly Clarkson says "Hey, can we waken this up a little?" Whoopi is BOWLED OVER. "WAIT WAIT... WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?" Did she not see them singing and rapping on their own at least 2 other times?? I did!

Bobo Kelly Clarkson and the actor who plays Ahmal are credited with the lyrics of this "song." I guess they let anyone on the set come up with songs for this movie?

• Like 4

You didn't spend your music classes in HS reciting nonsensical lyrics? You must have gone to a very good school.

Seriously though, I feel like she was trying to change the class from music into a weird inspirational/philosophy class. And then they started singing, so she changed again. She's not a teacher! She's just buying time til she comes up with a lesson plan.

Bobo Kelly Clarkson and the actor who plays Ahmal are credited with the lyrics of this "song." I guess they let anyone on the set come up with songs for this movie?

And then Ahmal wrote 'Miami' for Will Smith, so I mean, those talent scouts knew what they had.

• Like 8

My best guess is that this was a Die Hard With A Vengeance situation, where they took a pre-exisiting script and did a quick polish to make it about Whoopi and friends.

I wouldn't be surprised about this at all. Sister Act 2 came out a year and a half after Sister Act. That's not a really really tight turnaround for a sequel without a bunch of special effects but it's pretty short. Especially for a surprise hit with a start who want interested in making a sequel.

Its either a repurposed script or written very quickly. Both options would explain all the inconsistencies everyone is pointing out.

• Like 3

And then Ahmal wrote 'Miami' for Will Smith, so I mean, those talent scouts knew what they had.

I would put Miami in the list of top 5 Will Smith songs.

• Like 4

And “Nightmare on My Street” at number one.

• Like 6

I would put Miami in the list of top 5 Will Smith songs.

Are we counting Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff separate from Will Smith? Because Miami is definitely top 5 Will Smith solo. Not sure top 5 overall.

• Like 4

And “Nightmare on My Street” at number one.

My number one is

• Like 4

My number one is

True story: So I'm still playing that Fantasy Movie League thing that HDTGM did a season of back in the day and I got my coworkers on it as well (I won $100 in movie gift cards this past summer nbd). So when Jigsaw and It were out my coworker came over to my desk and asked me what my lineup was and I said "I'm gettin' Jiggy with It" (cause I was only playing It and Jigsaw) and he high fived me and it was my crowning achievement.

• Like 8

True story: So I'm still playing that Fantasy Movie League thing that HDTGM did a season of back in the day and I got my coworkers on it as well (I won $100 in movie gift cards this past summer nbd). So when Jigsaw and It were out my coworker came over to my desk and asked me what my lineup was and I said "I'm gettin' Jiggy with It" (cause I was only playing It and Jigsaw) and he high fived me and it was my crowning achievement.

7e389273db50b11701205c2fbbe9944a--internet-high-five-national-high-five-day.jpg

• Like 3

I always enjoyed "I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson" because it was more of a story than a song.

• Like 1