đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

Tig Notaro and Stephanie Allynne (One Mississippi) join Paul and Jason to discuss the 1985 horror film Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf. Recorded live from The 9th Annual Bentzen Ball Comedy Festival in Washington D.C., they talk about Christopher Lee in space, monkey costumes in place of werewolf costumes, awful werewolf orgies, and much more insanity.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Forgive me if this was mentioned already but I haven't seen the film and so I didn't listen to the episode ... last Halloween I watched a 26 episode review of horror movies hosted by Christopher Lee called "100 years of horror". Each episode dealt with a different horror topic .. vampires, mummies, famous actors etc. The way Lee spoke so fondly of the old movies was the highlight of the series and he had some great stories from some of the movie sets he worked on but it was his introduction to the Werewolf episode that stood out ... Paul will have to do his best Christopher Lee impression for this …

"Religion, psychology, medicine and metaphysics all recognise the dichotomy between our higher selves and our lower instincts. Correspondingly, a concept that a human could transform into a beast is common throughout the world. In truth, wolves are intelligent creatures who mate for life. If a female is killed, often the male partner will simply lie down to die in despair. And, except in times of starvation, wolf packs sensibly avoid contact with human beings.

Stories of helpless human children raised by wolves occur sporadically throughout history. The legendary founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus, were suckled at the tit of a wolf bitch. Mogle, the young hero of Kipling's "Jungle Book", was likewise adopted by a wolf pack. Myth and fiction, yes, but based on fact! But zoological fact would scarcely make for a frightening fantasy film thus movie “Werewolves” follow the conception of the wolf of myth and fairytale. A cunning, savage, wild animal ... The beast within ...

My own brush with film lycanthrope was limited to appearing in a film called “The Howling 2”... The less said about that, the better...."

he never mentioned it again

• Like 6

"I totally Juned this movie" needs to be a shirt. :lol:

Also, maybe they avoided physical contact in the movie because the hair would tangle as much as come off. Can't spend all day untangling werewolf hair and separating the actors.

• Like 3

EDIT: Paul mentions the thing I added. So, here's the highlight of the movie: Christopher Lee in fitting in at a punk rock club.

hMKMDRc.jpg

• Like 6

I totally Juned this movie in the sense that I did not watch it at all. BUT I really want to talk about Christopher Lee.

We know him as Dracula and the original Wicker Man, but Christopher Lee volunteered for special service during World War II. He did a lot of stuff, including working for the SOE the so called "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warefare" (Description from book on them: "Fighting a secret war behind enemy lines and using the guerrilla tactics of sabotage, ambush, murder and subversion, agents killed when necessary and took prisoners when possible, in the belief that their methods would hasten the end of the war.")

Anyway, my favorite move set anecdote EVER came from Peter Jackson. Video can be found HERE, basically Peter Jackson is telling Christopher Lee how to act when Wormtongue stabs him. And Lee asked him if he knew what sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? And Lee said, "Because I do."

At which point I imagine everyone on set just slowly backing away.

TL;DR Christopher Lee stabbed Nazis in the back.

• Like 8

I totally Juned this movie in the sense that I did not watch it at all. BUT I really want to talk about Christopher Lee.

We know him as Dracula and the original Wicker Man, but Christopher Lee volunteered for special service during World War II. He did a lot of stuff, including working for the SOE the so called "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warefare" (Description from book on them: "Fighting a secret war behind enemy lines and using the guerrilla tactics of sabotage, ambush, murder and subversion, agents killed when necessary and took prisoners when possible, in the belief that their methods would hasten the end of the war.")

Anyway, my favorite move set anecdote EVER came from Peter Jackson. Video can be found HERE, basically Peter Jackson is telling Christopher Lee how to act when Wormtongue stabs him. And Lee asked him if he knew what sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? And Lee said, "Because I do."

At which point I imagine everyone on set just slowly backing away.

TL;DR Christopher Lee stabbed Nazis in the back.

Christopher Lee was a Bond villain, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Saruman, werewolf hunter, recorded a heavy metal album, nazi hunter (not just a military man oin WWII,but literally hunted nazis), Star wars villain.

When you condense his life, it reads like a mythic hero confer to life. If you told me he fought a for real cyclops, I'd at least consider it plausible.

• Like 8

Christopher Lee was a Bond villain, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Saruman, werewolf hunter, recorded a heavy metal album, nazi hunter (not just a military man oin WWII,but literally hunted nazis), Star wars villain.

When you condense his life, it reads like a mythic hero confer to life. If you told me he fought a for real cyclops, I'd at least consider it plausible.

Too true. Man was a legend and a British treasure. Had a box set of Hammer Horror including a hour long interview of him just talking to camera about his life and films. One of the most engaging, entertaining 60 minutes I've ever seen on film. And you've missed he was a MI6 spy and related to european royalty on his mother's side!

• Like 2

More Christopher Lee is Awesome Talk:

Lee was a cousin of Ian Fleming, and while a lot of what Fleming wrote in his Bond novels was based off of his experiences in WWII as part of British Naval Intelligence, he was largely involved in the planning and strategizing arena of spycraft. He was integral in Operation Goldeney, for example, which monitored the possible alliance between the fascist Francisco Franco in Spain and the Axis during WWII. He was always more of a Bill Tanner* than a James Bond.

Christopher Lee though, as has been stated, was the real fucking deal. A spy, a soldier, and a world-class swordsman. It was life everything Fleming wanted to be was poured into James Bond, but all those traits were already in his real-life tall-dark-handsome-and-mysterious, baritone-voiced, heroic cousin Christopher Lee. The psychology is INTRIGUING. I love you, Christopher Lee.

*Bill Tanner: M's Chief of Staff, has a front row seat to possible Armageddon as James Bond does his macho spy nonsense, and therefore a master of looking worried:

Bill_Tanner_(Rory_Kinnear)_-_Profile.jpg

• Like 5

Awww yisss! Tig and Stephanie! I saw the names as it was downloading, and it's very clear without even listening to whom Paul was referring when he said one of them didn't watch the movie.

Side note: it's a bummer, though, that this episode came out two days after Amazon announced it's canceling One Mississippi :(

• Like 1

So Tig Notaro, I assume was paid to comment on a movie, (in front of a live audience) which she only watched a poor quality bootleg version on YouTube, ... and she slept through it. Then her only contribution to the show was to point out that she is a lesbian. Which everyone already knew, doesn't have a problem with, and don't really care anyway. Total unprofessionalism, How Did This Get Made should never have her back, and she should refund any fees which she received for her appearance.

• Like 7

So

I'm guessing Tig asleep is funnier than any of you or your ilk think you are ... ahh ... I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

ZxQTmxf.gif

my apologies to hamsters

• Like 4

I know what Jason means about the audacity of starting your movie series with a 1 movie. I can't believe the makers of Capricorn One thought that would work. I mean, c'mon guys: It's been decades and Capricorn Two hasn't seen the light of day.

• Like 3

So Tig Notaro, I assume was paid to comment on a movie, (in front of a live audience) which she only watched a poor quality bootleg version on YouTube, ... and she slept through it. Then her only contribution to the show was to point out that she is a lesbian. Which everyone already knew, doesn't have a problem with, and don't really care anyway. Total unprofessionalism, How Did This Get Made should never have her back, and she should refund any fees which she received for her appearance.

Yeah...I was super excited to finally go to a live show and I have to agree that her not watching the movie really soured it for me. I have nothing against her personally, but she didn't add anything.

That being said, watching the movie before the show with a packed HDTGM audience was one of the most fun things ever. (Paul, please come back to DC and take all my money.)

• Like 12

Loving all the Christopher Lee appreciation. In addition to all his Nazi killing, let's not forget that homeboy also put out a couple of death metal albums in his 80s and 90s. Man was a straight up legend.

I can't believe no one mentioned that Ben is played by Reb Brown, also known as Slab Bulkhead, Big McLargeHuge, et al. from MST3K's classic "Space Mutiny" episode. He even does all the unnecessary screaming while firing his gun.

• Like 6

By the way, Kudos Jason and Paul for carrying a show in which the main guest contributed nothing.

• Like 7

Yeah, it is a bummer for me whenever a guest just flat-out doesn't watch the movie. This is FUN TIMES, guys, so I hope the guest is willing to come and play. It'd be like someone coming on Spontaneanation or CBB and just refusing to refer to the comedians by their character names or even pretend that a skit is happening. I realize these are busy individuals with things to do and comedy to make, but if you're not into watching movies, don't bring the whole show down with you. Don't make me feel dumb for wanting to have fun.

• Like 10

Does the best British person shitting on a movie they were in award go to Christopher Lee or Michael Caine?

I'd rather them get awards for being Amazing in Even the Shittiest Movies Because They Are Spectacular.

• Like 1

I'd rather them get awards for being Amazing in Even the Shittiest Movies Because They Are Spectacular.

For sure. Christopher Lee isn't phoning it in here and he easily could have. Part of it is simply the gravitas of being Christopher Lee but he's still acting his role.

• Like 1

Yeah...I was super excited to finally go to a live show and I have to agree that her not watching the movie really soured it for me. I have nothing against her personally, but she didn't add anything.

That being said, watching the movie before the show with a packed HDTGM audience was one of the most fun things ever. (Paul, please come back to DC and take all my money.)

I feel like the whole 'guest falling asleep during the movie' thing has been happening a lot lately. Didn't Jessica St. Clair say that happen to her last week too? And Jason as well? Its kinda driving me a little crazy.

Watching the movie live would be so much fun! I'm jealous! I wish they would come to Chicago.

• Like 4

She somehow manages to tell long winding stories a few times, despite not watching the movie. I think she's funny but it was like someone trying BS their way through a book report in front of the class. And I think she mentioned being a lesbian so much to distract from not knowing anything about the movie.

The Youtube video replays the movie, so she could have just stayed and watched the first half (now well rested). Or apparently just come to the show early to watch which would have been a great bit and added to the show for her to talk about experiencing the movie with a crowd.

Loved her interview on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me a few years ago. She does well with a panel to play off of if the format allows her to tell stories rather than fast paced wit.

• Like 4

I feel like the whole 'guest falling asleep during the movie' thing has been happening a lot lately. Didn't Jessica St. Clair say that happen to her last week too? And Jason as well? Its kinda driving me a little crazy.

Watching the movie live would be so much fun! I'm jealous! I wish they would come to Chicago.

I wish they'd come to Chicago too because it's within ready driving distance. I just know it would be sold out before I could get tickets though.

• Like 3

I just know it would be sold out before I could get tickets though.

tumblr_mat71wePpK1rf97m1o3_250.gif

I haven’t listened yet, but if someone is really not into the premise of the show (which is totally valid) maybe don’t agree to be on it..?

I’d be pretty bummed if I paid to see a show, especially one of the rare “not in LA” shows, and one of the performers couldn’t even be bothered to find 90 minutes to prepare for it. It just seems disrespectful to the audience, and quite frankly, to Paul and Jason.

Most of us find the time in a week to watch these movies before the episode drops. As a guest, I’m sure she had ample time. We all have families and jobs and stress and obligations, but we do it because we love it. Hell, this show helps us cope with a lot of that junk! If you’re not into it (which is totally fine), just don’t accept the invitation. I’d be happier to just have Paul and Jason and no guests.

And, no, I don’t love 100% of the movies they do, and I’ve certainly fallen asleep watching my share, but I still find the time to watch them. And that’s just as a listener! if I were a guest, you’d better believe I’d come prepared.

• Like 17

Personally, I don't think any of these comments are fair.

Tig did find the time to sit down and watch this with Stephanie and happened to fall asleep. So fucking what. Stephanie sat through the whole thing and commented on it (when she could) but because one of the guests didn't see 40 minutes of it people are coming in and calling her disrespectful? That's bananas! Paul literally didn't watch the movie until the plane ride to DC but Tig and Stephanie both sat down and dedicated time to this bull shit and I don't think any of us are allowed to tell her she's in the wrong just because she happened to fall asleep.

Not to mention for the first time ever I felt like Jason and Paul cut off both Tig and Stephanie every fucking time they tried to speak. At one point Stephanie literally had to say "WAIT!" so that Paul didn't cut her off again! I've never felt like Paul and Jason have ever railroaded a guest before but today was difficult to listen to. As many people have said that Tig didn't bring anything to this episode that's how many times I heard her start to say something only to get cut off by both our hosts.

• Like 4