đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

When you put swirling stars in the background, speed up the playback, or zoom in, you're effectively changing the work. You're making it something "New." I'm not saying it won't get challenged or even taken down, but you're not going to get sued.

I think the swirling stars and altered images are there to trick auto takedown software.

Let's say you're Prince and you don't want people putting your videos online. Prince and his employees don't have time to monitor every single Youtube account. Youtube has a content ID tool that scours Youtube for copyrighted material (presumably only from organizations who are threatening or litigious). The tool does all the looking for you and flags anything violating the copyright its looking for. That's why you can't find Prince music on Youtube...or Simpsons clips...or Downfall/Hitler reacts videos...or whatever for very long very easily.

To fool the content ID tool, you have to manipulate the audio and video. Flipping the image, putting stars everywhere, zooming in, slowing down the audio makes this all a lot harder. The tool might start looking for reversed images, but it might not find a reversed image if there are stars all over it.

I don't know why someone felt the need to do this for Howling 2 which almost certainly has no demand, but they did.

• Like 3

By the way, I totally didn't know Lilith was linked to the vampire mythos at all.

True Blood did this storyline!

• Like 4

It's a way to circumvent copyright laws. A good example would be this image:

file_184663_0_South_Park_Walmart-320x180.jpg

Obviously, South Park is making fun of Wal-Mart, but when they refer to it as "Wall*Mart" they can't be sued for slander or copyright infringement. "We're not talking about 'Wal-Mart! This is a fictional store called Wall*Mart." Once altered, It becomes unique. I could literally paint a picture almost exactly like Andy Warhol' s Campbell's Soup Cans, cross out the flavor, write "Campbell's Poop" in Sharpie, and sell It as a Cameron H original.

When you put swirling stars in the background, speed up the playback, or zoom in, you're effectively changing the work. You're making it something "New." I'm not saying it won't get challenged or even taken down, but you're not going to get sued.

ART HISTORY LESSON TIME!

This is also a big part of the "Dada" movement that Marchel Duchamp was a big icon of. He specifically would take things and do one thing and then boom it's his fuckin art. Most notably he took the Mona Lisa, drew a mustache on her, and named it "L.H.O.O.Q" (which apparently if you say the letters phonetically in French it means "She has a hot ass").

It pisses me off that he became one of the most famous artists in the world just by doing this -

Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg

• Like 7

best jesus statue reaction shots in cinema history

• Like 1

Hey Everyone,

Let me just say this.

Tig is my friend. I love her onstage and off. She is consistently hilarious. I was excited to have her on the show, and she did something on this episode that IMO is perfectly Tig. She literally doesn't watch movies so we knew it was going to be a fun/different reaction regardless..

I want to address a few points:

1.) Pay no mind to the trolls. That kind of sexist and homophobic talk is not representative of this group or the show. I don't even want to dignify it with more than this.

2.) Before the show when Tig showed up, she said, I didn't watch the movie, do you want me to do the show? I said, "Absolutely, we'll make it part of the show." Tig is one of the few people I knew could make this work. Plus we had Stephanie. I wasn't worried.

3.) Mentioning that Tig didn't see the movie - We DID talk about the best way to address this; I didn't want just to do the show and pretend or fudge it in some way. Based on previous episode reactions to "unprepared"/unenthused guests we ALL thought it was best to let the audience in on what was going on at the top of the show. I fired the warning shot (to help make sure that there wouldn't be a negative reaction whenit was revealed) and then Tig came out and proudly admitted it, and we went on with the show.

4.) Overtalk - Yes there was ALOT. I know I'm guilty of it. It's been something I've been looking at in these last few months more than normal in regards to everything going on in our society. But I do remember getting frustrated by it in this show in particular. But I wouldn't call it steamrolling, I'd air on the side of bad listening. We all are friends, and I think based on the insane (and great) energy from the crowd, we were just having fun with each other and on a subconscious level, I'd say that Jason and I were making sure that there wouldn't be dead air and I think alot of our guest even thogh they are prepped pre-show aren't as willing to just JUMP in and interupt us.

If anything, the one thing that you can't see when listening and something I'm VERY aware of is letting our guests speak and creating moments for them. So I'm talking in body language cues, and when I see certain guest playing a bit more passively, I don't try to make them talk, rather I let them call the shots when they want to. Different guests do the show differently. I think we try to capture their energy rather than forcing them to meet ours. I don't think we were shutting down Stephanie but it wasn't done in malice. In my memory of it, she was hanging back and every time she said something, I thought she was really funny.

5.) Re: Watching the movie, please don't slam my preparations. Yes, I watched the movie on the plane, that doesn't speak to any issue other than, having a 6hr cross-country flight. I can assure you that without a doubt, I'm doing the most legwork on these films and getting it all ready and sifting thru clips, facts, reviews, doing sound checks, etc..

6.) Not watching the movie is a first and probably last. I honestly don't think there needs to be a debate about it. I make sure our guests have access to the film. Also, our guests aren't being paid or just on to promote. 95% of our guests are our friends, and we try to time their appearances with their projects, but we just have on the people we love. Tig is the reason we were in DC in the first place; she produces that festival.

7.) As far as our live shows go, guests aren't guaranteed, often times it's hard for us to find local talent in cities where we travel, so our MO is to guarantee that you get the best HDTGM show we can do. Which often means, just the three of us or in the latest example 2 of us and one of our favorite people (i.e. Jessica St. Clair). That being said, we try to get an extra person in the mix whenever is possible but we would rather not gamble on an X-factor for a show that people have paid to see. I can't tell you how many BIG NAME guests publicists try to get on the show and we always find out there client has never heard the sow and their publicist thinks it's just good exposure. That's what we want to avoid.

7.) Also, Fuck Peter Jackson for not making Christopher Lee - Gandolf

8.) Have I missed anything?

As always, I love the board. I love these discussions and i love all of you. .

Be well

• Like 19

Hey Paul, thank you for coming here and addressing/correcting some of the issues brought up in the boards. We all love HDTGM, we love your guests, and heck, we love you. It's why we're here. We all recognize the amount of work and preparation you put into the (free) podcast, which is part of why I keep coming back here since the days of Season of the Witch and Drive Angry. You treat us with respect and I am extremely grateful for that.

On a personal note, when taylor anne photo and Gean brought up the Can't Stop the Music episode, I became somewhat disheartened because I remember being rather disturbed by the troll-response to that episode. I adore both Cameron Esposito and Pete Holmes and I loved them on the episode, so seeing any hate directed their way is the opposite of what I usually expect coming to these boards. The last thing I want is for other board members, people whom I like and respect, feeling that way as well.

P.S. Only grade-A dumb-dumbs think guests are paid to be on podcasts. Like, what the heck?

• Like 5

Was bummed that June is gone still and that tig didn't watch the movie. Its great when the guest is into bad movies, or hates bad movies but sat through it. And if they're one their phones the whole time, then they're naughty and didn't do the assignment.

• Like 2

Haven't listened to the episode yet, nor found time to catch the movie, and was wondering how the hell this topic got to five pages in a day. So my unsolicited thoughts are: some guests just don't bring their best. That's fine, every comedian has a bad set every once in a while.

ETA: dont feed the trolls

P.S. Only grade-A dumb-dumbs think guests are paid to be on podcasts. Like, what the heck?

Sorry, I think I'm the "Grade-A dumb-dumb" that put that bug in his ear. :) In my defense, though, in terms of being paid in actual money, I meant specifically for Live episodes since people pay for tickets. I honestly didn't know that the guests didn't get a cut of that. After reading Paul's post, I have a lot more respect for their guests - especially those who meet up with them outside of LA.

Paul,

I honestly never meant to escalate anything. Considering the trollish comment made earlier in the thread, I was being insensitive of how (in a written format) that ugly post might color any posts coming after it with the wrong hue. I really should have kept my mouth shut. That's on me - proving once again - that I'm a Grade-A dumb-dumb.

I honestly didn’t mean to upset anyone and I’m sorry that I did.

I also apologize that you felt the need to come in here and play Papa Scheer. For my part, though, I feel like us regulars are forgiving enough, know each other well enough, and are friends enough to understand that we all say and do dumb things sometimes.

VERY IMPORTANT P.S. And considering Tig was there because she was running the festival, I completely understand if she only had limited time to watch the movie and fell asleep! Jesus! That changes just about everything I was saying before. Those are absolutely extenuating circumstances. I was only speaking under normal conditions, a guest should come prepared. Those were not “normal conditions” at all.

• Like 6

ART HISTORY LESSON TIME!

This is also a big part of the "Dada" movement that Marchel Duchamp was a big icon of. He specifically would take things and do one thing and then boom it's his fuckin art. Most notably he took the Mona Lisa, drew a mustache on her, and named it "L.H.O.O.Q" (which apparently if you say the letters phonetically in French it means "She has a hot ass").

It pisses me off that he became one of the most famous artists in the world just by doing this -

Marcel_Duchamp_Mona_Lisa_LHOOQ.jpg

My wife’s a cover artist and she’s had her designs completely stolen in this way. They just change the fonts or something.

• Like 5

According to IMDB, although the novelist had input on the script, it had little to do with book he wrote.

My question is: what kind of second-rate novelist titles the sequel to their book [something or other] "2?"

The funny thing is that they makers of the movie continued to say that a few of the sequels, like number three, were based on the books when they had apparently NOTHING to do with those storylines. As for numbering books, it is a big thing with horror writers from smaller publications or self-published, since I get a good number of horror graphic novels I get Amazon recommendations for these kind of books. Very rarely are they of any quality.

It's a way to circumvent copyright laws. A good example would be this image:

file_184663_0_South_Park_Walmart-320x180.jpg

Obviously, South Park is making fun of Wal-Mart, but when they refer to it as "Wall*Mart" they can't be sued for slander or copyright infringement. "We're not talking about 'Wal-Mart! This is a fictional store called Wall*Mart." Once altered, It becomes unique. I could literally paint a picture almost exactly like Andy Warhol' s Campbell's Soup Cans, cross out the flavor, write "Campbell's Poop" in Sharpie, and sell It as a Cameron H original.

I get that, but honestly, who is going to call a copyright violation on this piece of shit? In doing the DLM challenge this year I've found dozens of bad movies, mostly horror, on Youtube just uploaded with no alteration and they are all of the of the same content quality of this film. This isn't like someone put up the Last Jedi or Avengers 3, this is the shitty sequel to The Howling, the copyright owner should be THRILLED people are watching this thing.

• Like 3

The funny thing is that they makers of the movie continued to say that a few of the sequels, like number three, were based on the books when they had apparently NOTHING to do with those storylines. As for numbering books, it is a big thing with horror writers from smaller publications or self-published, since I get a good number of horror graphic novels I get Amazon recommendations for these kind of books. Very rarely are they of any quality.

That’s fascinating. I’ve never seen that before.

I get that, but honestly, who is going to call a copyright violation on this piece of shit? In doing the DLM challenge this year I've found dozens of bad movies, mostly horror, on Youtube just uploaded with no alteration and they are all of the of the same content quality of this film. This isn't like someone put up the Last Jedi or Avengers 3, this is the shitty sequel to The Howling, the copyright owner should be THRILLED people are watching this thing.

I mean, you probably could get away with it with this movie. It might just be the person who uploaded it was just covering their ass - just in case.

I can - and have - done the swirling stars, but I can’t do the zoomed in and inverted. For the most part, I like to watch these movies in the best quality I can get. I used to buy every movie, but I found - since I don’t really revisit them - that was kind of dumb. I usually just rent now - although I did buy this one.

By the way, I totally didn't know Lilith was linked to the vampire mythos at all.

I've heard Lillith and there's at least one book series (by Jeaniene Frost) that links Cain as the father of all vampires. He has to live on blood forever as a symbol of spilling his brother's blood.

Sidenote - The more I saw those sunglasses on ?Deacon?, the more I was convinced you can't actually see out of them. Maybe he only looks down to see under them but keeps them on for fashion.

• Like 5

I've heard Lillith and there's at least one book series (by Jeaniene Frost) that links Cain as the father of all vampires. He has to live on blood forever as a symbol of spilling his brother's blood.

I’ve also heard Judas Iscariot was cursed to be the first vampire - although I can’t remember where I read/saw that. According to wherever my brain is getting its sources, since Judas betrayed Jesus for silver, that’s why vampires are often said to be weak against it.

• Like 5

I’ve also heard Judas Iscariot was cursed to be the first vampire - although I can’t remember where I read/saw that. According to wherever my brain is getting its sources, since Judas betrayed Jesus for silver, that’s why vampires are often said to be weak against it.

Perhaps you gleaned the "Judas is Dracula" plot from this so-so movie:

movieposter.jpg

• Like 6

Perhaps you gleaned the "Judas is Dracula" plot from this so-so movie:

movieposter.jpg

That must be it! I watched that in October for my Horror movie month.

That’s an amazing pull! Thank you! (That movie was terrible - lol)

https://boxd.it/kAmsD

• Like 5

That must be it! I watched that in October for my Horror movie month.

That’s an amazing pull! Thank you! (That movie was terrible - lol)

I saw this in theaters, and the "Judas/silver/vampire" reveal is the only part I remember.

• Like 4

I saw this in theaters, and the "Judas/silver/vampire" reveal is the only part I remember.

It’s actually pretty clever. Although, while I was Googling it (I could have sworn it was from American Vampire) I saw something say that the connection comes from Hebrew tradition. So maybe not so much “clever,” as good research on the screenwriter’s part.

• Like 3

It’s actually pretty clever. Although, while I was Googling it (I could have sworn it was from American Vampire) I saw something say that connection is something from Hebrew tradition. So maybe not “clever,” but good research on the screenwriter’s part.

I would agree it was a clever reveal ... if Dracula were a werewolf, which is vulnerable to silver, instead of a vampire, which is not :/

BTW, your review of "as timeless as nu-metal" is great.

• Like 3

Thanks, Triple :)

I just remembered, I also heard the Judas/Vampire connection from The Librarian III: Curse of the Judas Chalice

foro_the_librarian_iii.jpg

From Wikipedia:

“The Judas Chalice is the sacrilegious vampire version of the Holy Grail, formed from the 30 pieces of silver given to Judas Iscariotafter he betrayed Jesus Christ. Revealing that vampires exist, Judson advises Flynn to intercept the chalice before Sergei Kubichek and his men do. In doing so, he also gives Flynn crucial tips about killing vampires: they have an aversion to silver and if they are staked through the heart, it must be with Aspen wood, the tree on which Judas hanged himself.”

I like the idea that the stakes have to be from a specific type of wood, too.

I’d also like to recommend The Librarian series. They’re silly, but fun. The first one also has a line that I quote any chance I get.

http://youtu.be/TciihV6YYFk

• Like 3

Sorry, I think I'm the "Grade-A dumb-dumb" that put that bug in his ear. :) In my defense, though, in terms of being paid in actual money, I meant specifically for Live episodes since people pay for tickets. I honestly didn't know that the guests didn't get a cut of that. After reading Paul's post, I have a lot more respect for their guests - especially those who meet up with them outside of LA.

OH NOOOOOOO! I was actually referring to wilmpete who posted on the first page. Now I feel terrible! I would never call you a dumb dumb ever! IT IS I WHO IS THE DUMB-DUMB! Grade-F even!

• Like 5

OH NOOOOOOO! I was actually referring to wilmpete who posted on the first page. Now I feel terrible! I would never call you a dumb dumb ever! IT IS I WHO IS THE DUMB-DUMB! Grade-F even!

Ha ha ha! It's totally cool. I didn't take offense :) I wish I were a smarter man, but I'm totally a dumb-dumb. I'll own that.

Just for the record: I'm cool with everyone here (except for trolls) This includes hosts, guests, and Christopher Lee. Love you, all!

• Like 6

One thing that is brought up in the episode is whether or not this is a vampire movie rewritten to be a werewolf movie. Vampires and werewolves have a lot of overlap.

While most books, movies and folklore allow vampires to shape shift into bats, other common things they can change into are mist or fog, and wolves. Even Bram Stoker's Dracula has Dracula turn into a wolf. I think I've only heard of vampires turning into wolves not bipedal, anthropomorphic wolves we typically associate with werewolves. But some werewolf stuff involves people just turning into regular looking wolves.

Vampires can also be killed by silver depending on the story and folklore. Silver is typically not fatal to vampires unless there is a restriction of some kind such as 100% pure silver or the silver has to pierce the heart. Otherwise silver seems to just makes vampires weak or sick. My understanding is silver as a way of killing monsters in folklore was kind of common for centuries and only recently (read: decades) became associated with only werewolves.

• Like 3

In an effort to address some stuff going on here . I wrote a response quickly. I updated a few things to further clarify some of my feelings. They aren't major, just a few little things.

• Like 10

In an effort to address some stuff . I wrote a response quickly. I updated a few things to further clarify some of my feelings. They aren't major, just a few little things.

You’re a class act, my man! Thanks for taking the time to respond and correct our misconceptions. I bet C&O-ing the forum feels good..;)

• Like 5