🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

As always, I love the board. I love these discussions and i love all of you. .

Paul - you are one classy motherfucker and a great friend to come on here and address us directly, stand up for Tig, and speak your mind. MAD love.

• Like 6

While most books, movies and folklore allow vampires to shape shift into bats, other common things they can change into are mist or fog, and wolves. Even Bram Stoker's Dracula has Dracula turn into a wolf. I think I've only heard of vampires turning into wolves not bipedal, anthropomorphic wolves we typically associate with werewolves. But some werewolf stuff involves people just turning into regular looking wolves.

And some of them are just bad at it.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Ok, longtime listener, brand new poster. I created an account just to talk about this absolutely bonkers part of the movie that nobody has mentioned yet.

Before the final assault on werewolf castle, Christopher Lee shows off their arsenal of magical weapons which includes:

- a prism with consecrated oil,

- wax from the sacred candles (to protect their ears),

- a dagger, forged from titanium,

- and, oh yeah, just the freaking HOLY GRAIL

And the way that Christopher Lee delivers the lines makes the first three sound absolutely magical, though they're relatively mundane (I get sacred wax dripped on my fingers every candlelight Christmas Eve service at my parent's church!) And then he just throws away the line about the Holy Grail, this item that Indiana freaking Jones is going to spend an entire movie tracking down, as if he's describing his red-headed step-child (shout out to all the red-headed step-children out there - peace and love). And then the brother's reaction to it is completely non-existent, cause like, where are the gunz, man? And then Christopher Lee, who's all like, "Ohhhhh, I see what you're getting at (winkwinknudgenudge)," proceeds to show him another knife, some water (proving that he in no way saw what the brother was getting at), and the absolutely-in-no-way-special gun of the dead midget, which the brother of course takes with glee.

Then they exit, leaving ALMOST ALL OF THE WEAPONS ON THE TABLE!

And we never hear of the Holy Grail ever again.

Though my thought is this: if Stirba is 10,000 years old and Christopher Lee's sister, he's gotta be about 10,004 years old, and maybe he's gotten through part of this past 10 millennia by sipping from the grail every so often to stay young, rather than feasting on the energy of (questionable) virgins. So he probably doesn't want to draw too much attention to what is basically the only thing keeping him alive, for fear that the meathead brother would just trade it in the marketplace for some local arts and crafts souvenir. That would at least explain the last 2000 years...

• Like 8

Though my thought is this: if Stirba is 10,000 years old and Christopher Lee's sister, he's gotta be about 10,004 years old, and maybe he's gotten through part of this past 10 millennia by sipping from the grail every so often to stay young, rather than feasting on the energy of (questionable) virgins. So he probably doesn't want to draw too much attention to what is basically the only thing keeping him alive, for fear that the meathead brother would just trade it in the marketplace for some local arts and crafts souvenir. That would at least explain the last 2000 years...

... and the 8,000 years or so before that ... what's the working theory? Questionable virgins, I guess ... but then, where would he get off calling Stirba a monster?

We know from the bible that regular joes could live to be over 900 years ... something something closer to the uncorrupted creation of god ... but that still leaves a few millenia unaccounted for.

Plus, we run into math problems bringing the bible into this, since if Stirba is 10,000 years old, she's almost twice as old as the earth, according to the Hebrew calendar.

• Like 5

And some of them are just bad at it.

giphy.gif

I love this movie, but this part freaked me out! I dunno, something about his too-big-for-his-body-head and that facial expression.

/shudder

• Like 7

P.S. Only grade-A dumb-dumbs think guests are paid to be on podcasts. Like, what the heck?

Right? If this was true, PF Tompkins would be a gazillionaire by now.

• Like 9

In a way, the mob on the road to the village was actually a first responder's dream*

1. They stayed with the old woman at the scene until help arrived

2. No one tried medical intervention that made things worse

3. No one went into hysterics and added chaos

4. They quickly dispersed AND cleared the road as soon as help arrived (no gawkers in that crowd)

*if you ignore the werewolf murder plan

• Like 5

... and the 8,000 years or so before that ... what's the working theory? Questionable virgins, I guess ... but then, where would he get off calling Stirba a monster?

We know from the bible that regular joes could live to be over 900 years ... something something closer to the uncorrupted creation of god ... but that still leaves a few millenia unaccounted for.

Plus, we run into math problems bringing the bible into this, since if Stirba is 10,000 years old, she's almost twice as old as the earth, according to the Hebrew calendar.

HkPOzEH.jpg?1

• Like 6

I love this movie, but this part freaked me out! I dunno, something about his too-big-for-his-body-head and that facial expression.

/shudder

Absolutely. The comedy being peppered with a few creepy/disturbing/horror moments is one of the reasons it is such a great movie.

Speaking of What We Do In The Shadows - now that's a movie that understands how to build some werewolf lore and draw the dividing line between werewolves and vampires.

CYaFWlU.gif

• Like 9

In an effort to address some stuff going on here . I wrote a response quickly. I updated a few things to further clarify some of my feelings. They aren't major, just a few little things.

Salud!

350px-Orson_Welles_Paul_Masson_Tasting_party_insert.png

• Like 2

4.) Overtalk - Yes there was ALOT. I know I'm guilty of it. It's been something I've been looking at in these last few months more than normal in regards to everything going on in our society. But I do remember getting frustrated by it in this show in particular. But I wouldn't call it steamrolling, I'd air on the side of bad listening. We all are friends, and I think based on the insane (and great) energy from the crowd, we were just having fun with each other and on a subconscious level, I'd say that Jason and I were making sure that there wouldn't be dead air and I think alot of our guest even thogh they are prepped pre-show aren't as willing to just JUMP in and interupt us.

If anything, the one thing that you can't see when listening and something I'm VERY aware of is letting our guests speak and creating moments for them. So I'm talking in body language cues, and when I see certain guest playing a bit more passively, I don't try to make them talk, rather I let them call the shots when they want to. Different guests do the show differently. I think we try to capture their energy rather than forcing them to meet ours. I don't think we were shutting down Stephanie but it wasn't done in malice. In my memory of it, she was hanging back and every time she said something, I thought she was really funny.

Thank you so much for addressing this and pointing out things that are very hard to pick up on audio. I feel heard and so appreciate you! I absolutely know for a fact that you and Jason are out of this world amazing and would never do anything in malice!

5.) Re: Watching the movie, please don't slam my preparations. Yes, I watched the movie on the plane, that doesn't speak to any issue other than, having a 6hr cross-country flight. I can assure you that without a doubt, I'm doing the most legwork on these films and getting it all ready and sifting thru clips, facts, reviews, doing sound checks, etc..

Paul, I do apologize for that comment. I did not mean to mention the plane watching as any kind of slam, but rather in defense for Tig being called unprepared. I totally see how that came across and I am forever grateful that with your incredibly busy schedule you put in so much time for this show that I love so much.

• Like 4

I think part of the overtalking problem is that Paul and Jason are ready to jump in to help a guest whose train of thought trails off rather than let there be an awkward silence (especially in a live show) and it's just that in the case with Tig that's a feature not a bug. Although the line "Wait guys, there's more words in this sentence." in perfect Tig delivery was my favorite thing from the episode.

39758120562_bd5c38b5df_c.jpg

So during the ceremony Jimmy Smits is wearing a wolf pelt on his head. Also in the werewolf village there are numerous vendors selling wolf pelts. I know that wolves and werewolves are two different things, but isn't that slightly... distasteful or something. I mean if I could turn into a wolf I think being mistaken for a real wolf and murdered for my fur would be a great concern of mine. Not to mention just the closeness and kinship they must feel with wolves.

• Like 6

Anyone else notice that this ... werewolf cult (?) seems to be holding a dozen captive women, besides the ones they're using in their rituals? There are several in the back of the room during the Stirba ceremony ...

... and there are at least two cages in the room with Jenny during the blood ceremony.

What do you suppose the cult's plans are for them? I'd say sacrifice except Stirba seems to be they're deity, unless muttnik is right and they're a satanic cult. Maybe there are other old werewolves that will undergo the life rejuvenation ritual. Or maybe they're going to be converted.

Either way, I'm concerned. No one seems to pay them attention, and when random slave girls aren't even worth a mention in your cult, some horrible things must be going down. Plus, they didn't seem to be there later during the orgy, so something happened to them which again, in this cult, didn't even make the highlight reel.

By the way, I totally didn't know Lilith was linked to the vampire mythos at all.

Maybe they were just snacks, like virgin snacks before the werewolf planet aligning big game, because virgins taste better? Which is a vampire thing, again.

I don't know how much credence there is to the Lilith original vampire bit, but I do know it's been a pop culture thing for a while if it registered to kid me.

• Like 4

I’ve also heard Judas Iscariot was cursed to be the first vampire - although I can’t remember where I read/saw that. According to wherever my brain is getting its sources, since Judas betrayed Jesus for silver, that’s why vampires are often said to be weak against it.

I saw it in the horrible Dracula 2000 where his suicide wasn't allowed by God due to his betrayal of Jesus. Alternatively Judas has been called the most loved disciple for his courage to betray Jesus, thus allowing him to sacrifice himself for the sins of man, which was recently discussed in the later arcs of the Spawn comics.

Side note, does anyone feel that Frank Dux heard some of the things Christopher Lee did in his life and thought, "I need to make up some stories about myself to sound way more badass than some old British guy?"

• Like 5

Thanks for clearing stuff up, Paul.

If anyone wants to do a podcast about crazy books, I'm down :)/>

I could talk about Sweet Valley for literally hours. I used to run a blog about it.

• Like 7

I could talk about Sweet Valley for literally hours. I used to run a blog about it.

Hmmm. This is piquing my interest. I'm not sure how I'd feel walking out of a store with an armful of Sweet Valley High books.

• Like 4

That's amazing! We could run the series!

Now do we do this as a Book Club Thing (allowing listeners to read the books first) or do we just talk about what we've read? Incidentally, I've already got the first book I want to tackle...

1893519074.jpg

I'd also like to discuss one of those erotic novels where people have sex with dinosaurs.

And, for the record, writing anything is super hard. I don't want to just make fun of people. More of a celebration of different perspectives.

• Like 5

Hmmm. This is piquing my interest. I'm not sure how I'd feel walking out of a store with an armful of Sweet Valley High books.

Get a Kindle, bro! You can read whatever crazy shit you want and no one will ever be the wiser.

• Like 2

As always, I love the board. I love these discussions and i love all of you except for Fister Robotio

I saved you having to make another edit, buddy.

• Like 9

I saved you having to make another edit, buddy.

Oddly enough, he loves "Fister Robotio" most of all. He has a soft spot for anyone who can't spell their own screen name ;)

• Like 11

Oddly enough, he loves "Fister Robotio" most of all. He has a soft spot for anyone who can't spell their own screen name ;)/>

He just loves me for my fat fingers

• Like 6

Maybe you could explain the girls' attraction to Todd.

That's amazing! We could run the series!

Now do we do this as a Book Club Thing (allowing listeners to read the books first) or do we just talk about what we've read? Incidentally, I've already got the first book I want to tackle...

1893519074.jpg

I'd also like to discuss one of those erotic novels where people have sex with dinosaurs.

And, for the record, writing anything is super hard. I don't want to just make fun of people. More of a celebration of different perspectives.

I never noticed the "Featuring Many Fabulous Dried Potato Recipes" on the cover. WHY? Why is this a thing? The shelf life of potatoes is so long to begin with, you don't need to dry the fucking things. Unless she's talking about how to prepare those boxed instant mashed potatoes? So many questions.

• Like 4