🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

I never noticed the "Featuring Many Fabulous Dried Potato Recipes" on the cover. WHY? Why is this a thing? The shelf life of potatoes is so long to begin with, you don't need to dry the fucking things. Unless she's talking about how to prepare those boxed instant mashed potatoes? So many questions.

This needs to be discussed!

• Like 1

Oddly enough, he loves "Fister Robotio" most of all. He has a soft spot for anyone who can't spell their own screen name ;)/>/>

Paul loves Fister Robotio. Fister Roboto on the other hand...

• Like 6

"Young Jimmy Smits" is Judd Omen, perhaps most memorable in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure as Mickey, the escaped convict that Pee-Wee hitches a ride with.

instagram.jpg

I watched this movie religiously as a kid, and for some time thought that this was an early role for Jimmy Smits. Alas, no.

• Like 10

I gotta say I'm also surprised about the negative reaction to Tig Notaro. Perhaps some of it is not understanding that it's part of her comedy act to be deadpan and nonplussed about everything. It's not that she's not "into" HDTGM, it's that this is her on-stage persona.

She's certainly not the first guest to have not seen the entire movie. I didn't see this much complaining about Hannibal Buress.

• Like 2

She's certainly not the first guest to have not seen the entire movie. I didn't see this much complaining about Hannibal Buress.

Hannibal Buress saw the movie a bunch of times as a kid though. And he was as excited as a kid throughout his episode.

But at the end of the day we all have preferences in our comedy/comedians and it's great that Paul and Co have the ability to get such a variety of guests. I may never listen to this episode again but I'm sure my favorite episodes are on another person's 'Do Not Listen' list.

I'd also like to discuss one of those erotic novels where people have sex with dinosaurs.

Are we talking Cristie Sims' Taken By The T-Rex or more like Chuck Tingle's My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay Ass?

• Like 4

Are we talking Cristie Sims' Taken By The T-Rex or more like Chuck Tingle's My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay Ass?

I feel like Tingle gives too much of the plot away in the title. Why buy the book when you can get the gay, billionaire Triceratops sex for free?

Tighten it up, Tingle!

• Like 5

I feel like Tingle gives too much of the plot away in the title. Why buy the book when you can get the gay, billionaire Triceratops sex for free?

Tighten it up, Tingle!

If we do read these and the dinosaurs are not feathered, I will be quite upset.

• Like 5

Yay! I just finished listening to the episode, and personally, I thought it was pretty fantastic. I love, love, loved Jason doing some dirty work up in the gross balcony. I think I have a lot to add to this, so please forgive the inevitable multiple posts I'll be dropping over the next couple of days. Unfortunately, the majority of the conversation seems to have petered out...

Anyway, regarding the ear plugs, Paul and the gang seemed confused that when placed in their ears the characters could still hear one another, but this is addressed in the movie. When Christopher Lee assembles his crew of Transylvanian Expendables at the church, he explains to them the various accouterments they'll be bringing. In addition to consecrated oil that - apparently explodes like a Molotov Cocktail when hurled at a werewolf - they are given ear plugs which we are told are taken from the wax of "consecrated candles." I think what we're supposed to understand is, since they are made from holy candle wax, they just filter out her demonic, head-blasting howls. It just protects you from the worst of it. It would be like if you had ear plugs that allowed you to hear the musicians in the Dave Matthews Band without having to actually listen to his dumb voice and stupid lyrics.

Take THAT Dave Matthews! What?

tumblr_m66ov6DMSj1qj40ryo1_1280.gif

• Like 5

This is kinda sorta a Correction and Omission, but it was mentioned on the show that Howling II was the first movie to film behind the Iron Curtain, in this case, in Prague. While it was many years earlier, in 1970, in different countries that had very different relationships with the Soviet Union, Kelly's Heroes, the WWII adventure comedy starring Clint Eastwood, Donald Sutherland, Don Rickles, and Telly Savalas, was filmed behind the Iron Curtain in Yugoslavia. Yugoslavia had a large supply of WWII tanks still laying around, which were essential to production. As a result, Kelly's Heroes has some great local color and some real-life tanks that would otherwise have been unobtainable. John Landis tells a great story about smuggling himself into Yugoslavia by hugging the underside of a train in order to serve as a production assistant and extra on this film.

The filming was done before the Croatian Spring uprisings in 1971, which resulted in some brutal crackdowns on political dissidents in Yugoslavia, and probably would have made filming there impossible just one or two years later. With all of this in mind, it's even more unfortunate how of little of Prague we get in Howling II. If you're going to go to the trouble of traveling to a location that is difficult to get to (and operate out of), wouldn't you want to take full advantage of it? As pointed out in the podcast, these locations could have been done pretty much on any back lot (or back yard) almost anywhere in the world. Why travel to fucking Czechoslovakia to get nondescript buildings and atmosphere? I'm thankful that later production would use Prague to full effect, as now innumerable movies have shot in that iconic city.

• Like 5

For me, one of the most mind-boggling moments occurred early in the film when Jenny’s boss - at her friend/co-worker’s funeral - told her she need to go investigate some deaths attributed to wild dogs or coyotes. While I get life goes on, time and place, bro. That really seems like a request that can be at least saved for the reception.

Anyway, afterwards, she accosts Christopher Lee and she is shockingly unfazed to learn of the existence of werewolves. He tells her he’s going back to the cemetery for some were-murdering, and because (apparently) her lifelong dream is to be an accomplice to an insane person, she insists on coming along. Once there, she and Ben are - of course - immediately separated from the crazy person they followed into a cemetery in the middle of the night. As they stumble through the darkness, they hear a nearby howl - which they quickly dismiss as a coyote.

Now, I’m not suggesting their first instinct should be “werewolf,” but considering why they’re out there in the first place - and that they just watched a video of their sister and friend transform into werewolf-like - I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable for them to entertain that thought for a second or two. Still, even if they want to dismiss the supernatural right out of hand, she is supposed to be researching canine related mutilations. That’s some real world peril. Maybe exercise a little caution..?

• Like 3

For me, one of the most mind-boggling moments occurred early in the film when Jenny’s boss - at her friend/co-worker’s funeral - told her she need to go investigate some deaths attributed to wild dogs or coyotes. While I get life goes on, time and place, bro. That really seems like a request that can be at least saved for the reception.

Anyway, afterwards, she accosts Christopher Lee and she is shockingly unfazed to learn of the existence of werewolves. He tells her he’s going back to the cemetery for some were-murdering, and because (apparently) her lifelong dream is to be an accomplice to an insane person, she insists on coming along. Once there, she and Ben are - of course - immediately separated from the crazy person they followed into a cemetery in the middle of the night. As they stumble through the darkness, they hear a nearby howl - which they quickly dismiss as a coyote.

Now, I’m not suggesting their first instinct should be “werewolf,” but considering why they’re out there in the first place - and that they just watched a video of their sister and friend transform into werewolf-like - I don’t think it’s entirely unreasonable for them to entertain that thought for a second or two. Still, even if they want to dismiss the supernatural right out of hand, she is supposed to be researching canine related mutilations. That’s some real world peril. Maybe exercise a little caution..?

So what you're saying is, our "protagonists" are dumb as fuck?

However, the one smart decision they made is teaming up with Sir Christopher for some Eastern European Werewolf Slaying. I would totally join up with that mellifluous baritone for any supernatural shenanigans. But oh, a boy can only dream, I suppose...

• Like 5

But yes Cameron, that phenomenon of characters in a horror movie so easily dismissing signs of the terror they have ALREADY ENCOUNTERED is fucking infuriating. As a horror fan, it's why I love when movies avoid this trope and treat its characters like actual thinking, sentient beings. A recent example of this is Get Out, obviously, but one of the many reasons why American Werewolf in London is one of my favorite movies is that it does this from the get-go. As David and Jack are making their way across the moors in the beginning, just after leaving the pub full of Creepy English People, they find themselves alone on a dark night, hearing sounds of a strange beast in the distance. They tell themselves it's just a dog or something, but in reality, you can see the terror on their faces, they know it's something more terrifying, And so they fucking run. The movie knows how fear works and uses it to great effect to make and impact on the characters and the viewer. Howling II, being garbage, does not.

• Like 3

This was kind of my point earlier.

Karen turned into a werewolf in front of people...on tape...at a news broadcast. No one should be surprised werewolves exist least of all Karen's bother and coworker.

• Like 1

This was kind of my point earlier.

Karen turned into a werewolf in front of people...on tape...at a news broadcast. No one should be surprised werewolves exist least of all Karen's bother and coworker.

To be honest, the point I was trying to make wasn’t so much “they should believe in werewolves” so much as “they should definitely believe in fucking coyotes.” :)

• Like 4

I'm sure I missed this in the movie somehow, seeing how well it was written, but...was the sister pretending to be dead? Hibernating? I'm confused as to why she was in a coffin, but then she comes back like a werezombie. Is there some sort of middle state for werewolves that I'm just not hip to?

• Like 3

To be honest, the point I was trying to make wasn’t so much “they should believe in werewolves” so much as “they should definitely fucking believe in coyotes.” :)/>

Yeah. I definitely misread what you meant there. I don't think coyotes attack often without provocation, I still wouldn't want to test that when there is a recent rash of possible coyote attacks

• Like 4

CONGRATS ON YOUR ACTOR, PAUL!!!

What happened? What did he win for?

• Like 1

'd also like to discuss one of those erotic novels where people have sex with dinosaurs.

And, for the record, writing anything is super hard. I don't want to just make fun of people. More of a celebration of different perspectives.

Are you talking about Dr. Chuck Tingle? Because then yes I need to discuss Helicopter Man Pounds Billionaire Dinosaur Ass at length.

I love and hate writing, mainly because I have people reading my work, but then that means I have people reading my work with a red pen. I used to write for Bleacher Report on pro wrestling and MMA, thinking the fan bases can't be as bad as sports like football. Holy shit was I wrong. Say the Undertaker wasn't the best booked wrestler for Wrestlemania and people lose their fucking minds.

Now I just write for the catharsis and release of ideas, with the garage band mentality of someday publishing some of my crap.

• Like 2

What happened? What did he win for?

Never mind. Congratulations, Paul - and the rest of the cast of Veep!

veep_ensemble_sag_onstage.jpg

• Like 7

Never mind. Congratulations, Paul - and the rest of the cast of Veep!

veep_ensemble_sag_onstage.jpg

Clea DuVall and Sarah Sutherland arm in arm is great.

This show truly deserves the ensemble cast award. Such a murder's row of great comedic talent. Somebody like Sam Richardson or Kevin Dunn can get one line the entire episode and have it be the funniest part. Shame that with how things ended up with Dan Paul won't be around next season.

• Like 3

I'm sure I missed this in the movie somehow, seeing how well it was written, but...was the sister pretending to be dead? Hibernating? I'm confused as to why she was in a coffin, but then she comes back like a werezombie. Is there some sort of middle state for werewolves that I'm just not hip to?

I think because she wasn't 'originally' killed the right way, which makes no dang-darn sense, because at the end of the first movie she's shot with a silver bullet after transforming on air during a piece exposing the existence of werewolves. Basically, the first movie sets up that werewolves have to be killed a certain way as they'll otherwise just regenerate. The male protag gets silver bullets from Dick Miller (!!!) who states that silver is just movie hooey, BUT silver ends up being (aside from fire) the only thing that actually kills werewolves. Now, when the male protag shoots her on air they don't explicitly state that he's using silver, but why the hell else would he try anything else at that point?

What gives?! I don't think I like this movie as much as I used to. Still love the song though.

• Like 4

The main question I still have about the movie is whether or not the punk band are werewolves themselves.

We first seem them playing at that punk warehouse show in LA. Now we know some of the people in attendance, like Mariana, are werewolves because they lead those punks away to eat them. This also means not everybody there was a werewolf either. The only thing we know at this point is the fact the band has a song about werewolves which is either very telling or a supreme coincidence. Next we see them playing in the Transylvanian castle for the giant orgy party that Stirba was having. So this band flew out from LA to Transylvania for this gig. Was this because they were werewolves or were the werewolves in attendance at the first show so taken by this song about "howling" and "werewolves" that they turned to each other and said, "Hey, you know what would really tie this giant Howling werewolf orgy party together, this song!" at which point they hired them and flew them out. They seemingly left the orgy party before things really hit the fan so maybe they were unaware. Then we see the band one last time at the end of the movie seemingly back in LA and nothing is clear one way or the other if they are werewolves or in on it all. All we know for a fact is the have one song that really fits in nicely with everything going around them and they are seemingly LA based.

Does this also mean the band was on the same flight as dum-dum and the reporter? I can't imagine there are that many flights a day in and out of rural Transylvania, so these LA based people traveling at the same time must have run into each other at some point right?

• Like 7