🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 180 - Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf: LIVE!

Just popping in to the forum for a quick Omission: "Not-Jamie-Lee-Curtis" is Annie McEnroe, who doesn't have a ton of credits to her name, but is definitely most well-known as Jane, the neighborhood realtor who sells Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis' house to the Dietz's in Beetlejuice!

11114753_gal.jpg

I also recognized her as the super uptight wife of Spalding Grey from the David Byrne movie, True Stories.

https://gph.is/1zNwdPQ

• Like 2

Does this also mean the band was on the same flight as dum-dum and the reporter? I can't imagine there are that many flights a day in and out of rural Transylvania, so these LA base people traveling at the same time must have run into each other at some point right?

According to this movie's logic, they probably all turned into bats and flew to Transylvania.

• Like 5

I don't know if the band were werewolves or not, but the singer was a stone cold fox.

• Like 2

EDIT: Paul mentions the thing I added. So, here's the highlight of the movie: Christopher Lee in fitting in at a punk rock club.

hMKMDRc.jpg

Sorry if already mentioned, but the incomparable Christopher Lee is credited with vocals on at least one European thrash metal album. He also served in special forces in World War 2, including pretty hardcore missions behind enemy lines. In the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Peter Jackson was directing him in a stabbing scene and said "I want you to imagine the sound of a knife cutting into a human body."

Christopher Lee said "I don't have to."

"Don't have to what?" asked Jackson.

"Imagine," Lee replied.

• Like 4

I totally Juned this movie in the sense that I did not watch it at all. BUT I really want to talk about Christopher Lee.

We know him as Dracula and the original Wicker Man, but Christopher Lee volunteered for special service during World War II. He did a lot of stuff, including working for the SOE the so called "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warefare" (Description from book on them: "Fighting a secret war behind enemy lines and using the guerrilla tactics of sabotage, ambush, murder and subversion, agents killed when necessary and took prisoners when possible, in the belief that their methods would hasten the end of the war.")

Anyway, my favorite move set anecdote EVER came from Peter Jackson. Video can be found HERE, basically Peter Jackson is telling Christopher Lee how to act when Wormtongue stabs him. And Lee asked him if he knew what sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? And Lee said, "Because I do."

At which point I imagine everyone on set just slowly backing away.

TL;DR Christopher Lee stabbed Nazis in the back.

God damn it, I only had to read two more posts! Sorry

• Like 3

Loving all the Christopher Lee appreciation. In addition to all his Nazi killing, let's not forget that homeboy also put out a couple of death metal albums in his 80s and 90s. Man was a straight up legend.

I can't believe no one mentioned that Ben is played by Reb Brown, also known as Slab Bulkhead, Big McLargeHuge, et al. from MST3K's classic "Space Mutiny" episode. He even does all the unnecessary screaming while firing his gun.

Fuck's sake, I'm so sorry

• Like 5

Does the best British person shitting on a movie they were in award go to Christopher Lee or Michael Caine?

You know what, I'm just going to plough right on and post things even though I'm still on page one and I'm going to look even more stupid. Christopher Lee did several Hammer horror films with his best friend Peter Cushing, another old school screen legend. Some of the Hammer films were terrific (Lee's first outing as. Dracula especially) but there was some dross. In one they were doing a version of the Mummy, and Lee said "This is terrible, I'm just done up in bandages, I don't get to say anything." You're the lucky one," said Cushing," Have you seen the script?"

• Like 3

It was touched on in the episode, but when Stefan introduces Jenny and Ben to the existence of werewolves, he shows them a silver bullet and explains to them how it's the only way to kill a werewolf. But, not really. Technically, silver bullets are the only way to kill a werewolf unless that werewolf happens to be "immune," in which case, only titanium will do. :blink:

I guess my question is: why bother with silver at all, then? I get that Stefan has had centuries(?) of experience and can probably spot an "immune" werewolf in a crowd, but what about me? I'm just getting started out in the wild and woolly world of werewolf hunting, how am I supposed to know if a werewolf is "immune" or not? Honestly, you might as well just throw those silver bullets straight in the garbage. That shit will get you killed.

• Like 3

Shame that with how things ended up with Dan Paul won't be around next season.

I have to be honest that I was reading that as one name and I was like "who the hell is Dan Paul???"

• Like 3

Yes Cam Bert! I can't believe it wasn't mentioned in the show. Was this just some random New Wave band based out of LA that got an offer to play a werewolf orgy in Transylvania and were like, "well, it's a good paying gig, can't turn that down." There also seemed to be a bunch of non werewolf, or at least werewolf in human form punks attending the orgy just to listen to the band, how does that work? Was this a ticketed event? Maybe this band is like Phish and has a massive group of fans that just follow them on tour to any venue or sex party they might play? It's possible they were just splicing together footage of the orgy and the band back in LA.

Also as far as orgies go, I can get behind seeing people in human form boning, I can even maybe get into full on werewolves boning, what I can't get into is a whole group in that mid transformation phase participating in a full on orgy. That was tough to watch. This whole movie had Sleepwalkers feel to it.

• Like 5

This movie opens all sorts of questions about killing werewolves. So correct me if I'm wrong, the sister is killed by a silver bullet, the bullet is removed and she comes back to life in her casket? Does the silver have to be lodged in the body forever for the werewolf to stay dead?

Also they get real lazy with the idea that stabbing a werewolf with a silver blade also does the trick. It kind of makes werewolves just slightly stronger the actual humans. And shouldn't you stab them with the blade and leave the knife or axe lodged in there? The guy in the full on denim is just plowing down werewolves with a shot gun. So are those shotgun shells filled with silver fragments? Also, how did he get those guns to Transylvania anyway? What was the gun policy on planes in the 80's, could you just check them like regular baggage?

Denim guy is just an absolute maniac, when Christopher Lee shows up and fills them in on his plans to stick a silver stake in his sister he just says in the most cold, unemotional way, "I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch." and follows him to the cemetery with not 1 but 2 guns to straight up murder him.

• Like 4

It was touched on in the episode, but when Stefan introduces Jenny and Ben to the existence of werewolves, he shows them a silver bullet and explains to them how it's the only way to kill a werewolf. But, not really. Technically, silver bullets are the only way to kill a werewolf unless that werewolf happens to be "immune," in which case, only titanium will do. :blink:

I guess my question is: why bother with silver at all, then? I get that Stefan has had centuries(?) of experience and can probably spot an "immune" werewolf in a crowd, but what about me? I'm just getting started out in the wild and woolly world of werewolf hunting, how am I supposed to know if a werewolf is "immune" or not? Honestly, you might as well just throw those silver bullets straight in the motherfucking garbage. That shit will get you killed.

Also wolves hunt in packs, so would werewolves. Using all those silver bullets must start to cost a pretty penny. Knives far easier on the budget in the long run.

• Like 4

So, the human body contains trace amounts of silver and titanium. How does that work when people get turned into werewolves? And what happens when werewolves bite people or drink their blood (or whatever they do in the movie that I half watched)?

• Like 8

This movie opens all sorts of questions about killing werewolves. So correct me if I'm wrong, the sister is killed by a silver bullet, the bullet is removed and she comes back to life in her casket? Does the silver have to be lodged in the body forever for the werewolf to stay dead?

Also they get real lazy with the idea that stabbing a werewolf with a silver blade also does the trick. It kind of makes werewolves just slightly stronger the actual humans. And shouldn't you stab them with the blade and leave the knife or axe lodged in there? The guy in the full on denim is just plowing down werewolves with a shot gun. So are those shotgun shells filled with silver fragments? Also, how did he get those guns to Transylvania anyway? What was the gun policy on planes in the 80's, could you just check them like regular baggage?

Denim guy is just an absolute maniac, when Christopher Lee shows up and fills them in on his plans to stick a silver stake in his sister he just says in the most cold, unemotional way, "I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch." and follows him to the cemetery with not 1 but 2 guns to straight up murder him.

I might be wrong but I think this movie says only titanium kills werewolves. Isn't that why Christine Lee makes a big deal about having titanium knives? I don't know why the movie made up this rule but they did.

• Like 3

I might be wrong but I think this movie says only titanium kills werewolves. Isn't that why Christine Lee makes a big deal about having titanium knives? I don't know why the movie made up this rule but they did.

He calls out Stirba as a special type of werewolf that is immune to silver.

What I'd like to know is when titanium was first created/forged. What percentage purity does the titanium have to be to work? Were certain werewolves just unkillable until Stefan, constantly trying new metals, discovered titanium did the trick?

Edit - looked it up and titanium was discovered in 1791 per Wikipedia.

Assuming the immunity to titanium is inherited, wouldn't those allergic to silver have been culled out of the population leaving only the titanium wolves prior to 1791? Or are werewolves so hard to detect much less shoot that that didn't become a natural selection issue?

• Like 2

He calls out Stirba as a special type of werewolf that is immune to silver.

What I'd like to know is when titanium was first created/forged. What percentage purity does the titanium have to be to work? Were certain werewolves just unkillable until Stefan, constantly trying new metals, discovered titanium did the trick?

Wikipedia says titanium was discovered in 1791. I wanted to bring up the fact that titanium dioxide is found in many sunscreens and makeup as a UV blocker. So just slap on some sunscreen if you want to protect yourself against skin cancer and Stirba!

• Like 6

Also as far as orgies go, I can get behind seeing people in human form boning, I can even maybe get into full on werewolves boning, what I can't get into is a whole group in that mid transformation phase participating in a full on orgy. That was tough to watch. This whole movie had Sleepwalkers feel to it.

I was hoping it would be a Miami Connection soundtrack style band, explaining the story to the audience.

• Like 4

Just a quick note for people coming in here wanting to complain about the episode: constructive criticism is fine, personal attacks are not.

I don’t care if you have a problem with a guest’s sexuality, or if the mere mention of it offends your delicate ears - even as you simultaneously you insist that it “doesn’t” - if anywhere in your complaint you mention it, I’m reporting it. It’s not constructive. It’s not funny. It’s ugly. And HDTGM is never going to ask their guests/friends to closet themselves for your benefit - thank goodness! If you don’t like it; don’t listen. While respectful debates are fine, even encouraged, this is - and has always been - a place of positivity.

Also, let’s not be redundant. Paul has already addressed a number of these issues already. As far as any of us are concerned, his word is Law.

This is my only comment on the matter.

Thanks!

• Like 9

Also wolves hunt in packs, so would werewolves. Using all those silver bullets must start to cost a pretty penny. Knives far easier on the budget in the long run.

Yes, except that titanium is a pretty terrible metal for a knife. It doesn't like to keep an edge and dulls pretty quickly. I could imagine someone going berserker on a bunch of werewolves with a titanium blade only to get about 3 kills in and have to resharpen. I feel like that's why Christopher Lee expounds on how many badass titanium knives they have, only to switch to a gun on the way up the hill to werewolf castle. That dude with the big curvy titanium knife never had a chance. And that's why you don't mess with Christopher Lee.

• Like 5

Even in the fast-and-loose salad days of the 80s, bringing guns onto a plane was highly frowned upon.

Question to those more knowledgable on the matter: Could you even fire a shotgun loaded with silver pellets? Silver is a pretty malleable metal ... seems like the explosion of the gunshot and the friction the pellets would encounter after being fired would basically just cause silver buckshot to melt and dissipate before reaching the target. Wouldn't it just splat on you, like a really expensive paintball?

EDIT: True to my standard M.O. I asked a question before doing some very basic research. One of these days, I'll get things in the right order.

BUT ... this Quora Q/A says some interesting things about the practicality of silver ammunition. Since silver is less dense than lead, the main issue will be deceleration in-flight, which translates into reduced range and accuracy. But silver projectiles will still do plenty of damage.

Read it here: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-make-silver-bullets-and-would-it-work

And actually, the Wikipedia page on the topic is interesting: Here

• Like 5

BTW, in case any of you were wondering whether Coors Light ever pounced on the association with "silver bullets" and werewolves ...

f1ba35ce44338b175697386ec4cafac2.jpg

BeerWolfFull.jpg

Unsurprisingly, they missed the joke it seems they were trying to make.

I guess it fits. Coors Light is damaging to all walks of life ... we are all werewolves in that regard.

• Like 9

Even in the fast-and-loose salad days of the 80s, bringing guns onto a plane was highly frowned upon.

Question to those more knowledgable on the matter: Could you even fire a shotgun loaded with silver pellets? Silver is a pretty malleable metal ... seems like the explosion of the gunshot and the friction the pellets would encounter after being fired would basically just cause silver buckshot to melt and dissipate before reaching the target. Wouldn't it just splat on you, like a really expensive paintball?

EDIT: True to my standard M.O. I asked a question before doing some very basic research. One of these days, I'll get things in the right order.

BUT ... this Quora Q/A says some interesting things about the practicality of silver ammunition. Since silver is less dense than lead, the main issue will be deceleration in-flight, which translates into reduced range and accuracy. But silver projectiles will still do plenty of damage.

Read it here: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-make-silver-bullets-and-would-it-work

And actually, the Wikipedia page on the topic is interesting: Here

I wonder if you can just take regular bullets and dip them in silver? Speaking of silver...

Colloidal silver has been used as a dietary supplement, although there are no major clinical trials supporting its purported benefits and it could cause your skin to turn blue. Let's add that to the daily regimen anyway, right after applying sunscreen containing titanium dioxide.

• Like 4

BTW, in case any of you were wondering whether Coors Light ever pounced on the association with "silver bullets" and werewolves ...

BeerWolfFull.jpg

I guess it fits. Coors Light is damaging to all walks of life ... we are all werewolves in that regard.

Ahh! That's Frank from Donnie Darko, right?

• Like 4

Question to those more knowledgable on the matter: Could you even fire a shotgun loaded with silver pellets?

Not a gun guy but lead, which is very soft, is used for buckshot.
  • Like 3

I once drank a Coors Light. Possible one of my life's biggest regrets.

• Like 5