🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 180.5 - Minisode 180.5

I think I worded it badly.

Even in bad movies like Howling 2, Christopher Lee is still impressive. But in bad movies like Twilight, Pattinson and Stewart are bad. Lee was still professional even in crap he hated. Can we say the same for both Stewart and Pattinson? So, I think some of the blame for their performances in Twilight is on them. We can't say it's all the writers and directors.

Oh, I get what you’re saying now. Um...I don’t know. Based on what I’ve seen of them before and after Twilight, I feel like they were directed to act like lifeless planks of wood and gave exactly that. They were the best planks of wood you’ve ever seen. I think if Lee were told “we want this to be mopey, understated, and whisper-y” and gave them full Lee, that would be more unprofessional.

Now that I’ve written that out, Though, I think what we’re actually talking about isn’t so much “acting ability” as “screen presence.” One thing can be learned and the other is innate. Lee has screen presence out the wazoo.

• Like 3

Also, let me throw out Hugh Laurie as a possibility.

YEAH! also thought I'd share this photo of the man in his prime, Does have a look of Laurie about himfrom-frankenstein-to-dracula-peter-cushing-and-christopher-lee-the-unequalled-team-6b8d0640-1a28-4157-815a-581b5f9f1ec3-1.jpeg
  • Like 5

Oh, I get what you’re saying now. Um...I don’t know. Based on what I’ve seen of them before and after Twilight, I feel like they were directed to act like lifeless planks of wood and gave exactly that. They were the best planks of wood you’ve ever seen. I think if Lee were told “we want this to be mopey, understated, and whisper-y” and gave them full Lee, that would be more unprofessional.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but its definitely plausible. I've never actually seen any of the Twilight movies. Just bits and pieces. One of the most consistent criticisms I see is that Bella is a vacant vessel for young, impressionable girls to put themselves into. I could see a director pushing that idea into their performances.

• Like 3

I hadn't thought of it that way, but its definitely plausible. I've never actually seen any of the Twilight movies. Just bits and pieces. One of the most consistent criticisms I see is that Bella is a vacant vessel for young, impressionable girls to put themselves into. I could see a director pushing that idea into their performances.

To be fair, that’s the case in a lot of fiction. Luke Skywalker and Neo are both examples of the same concept.

• Like 4

Just to throw my two cents in. I saw an interview with Robert Patterson once and he said something similar about, how the foundation for the behavior and style of acting was dictated by the style and direction of the first movie and as a result going forward they were sort of bound to the established tone and he was bored to death of it.

• Like 6

Guy's you are missing the obvious choice for young Christopher Lee. Nicholas Cage.

Let's see:

Academy Award Winner

6 foot (so tallish)

Can play British (Season of the Witch)

And sure he's in his 50's but add some of those CGI effects to make him look like he did in Vampire's Kiss and you're good to go.

YEAH! also thought I'd share this photo of the man in his prime, Does have a look of Laurie about himfrom-frankenstein-to-dracula-peter-cushing-and-christopher-lee-the-unequalled-team-6b8d0640-1a28-4157-815a-581b5f9f1ec3-1.jpeg

Dude... Chopping MAL. You weren't far off.

8052208.jpg

But of course we would need to go back in time and get Young NC to play him. He would do it if we somehow combined it with stealing the constitution.

• Like 4

Pattinson is so underappreciated. He was amazing in Good Time, and I didn't even recognize him in Lost City of Z. I didn't like the latter movie that much, but I spent the whole movie simultaneously enthralled by Pattinson's performance and trying to figure out who the hell the actor was.

• Like 4

Pattinson is so underappreciated. He was amazing in Good Time, and I didn't even recognize him in Lost City of Z. I didn't like the latter movie that much, but I spent the whole movie simultaneously enthralled by Pattinson's performance and trying to figure out who the hell the actor was.

Also KStew is amazing in Personal Shopper. My mom literally hasn't stopped talking about that movie since we saw it and there's one scene alone in that movie that shows how fucking amazing she is.

• Like 4

Also KStew is amazing in Personal Shopper.

Might have to give that one a try. The only thing i've ever liked KStew on was Clouds of Sils Maria ( can't really recommend it, outside of hers and Juliette Binoches performances. Chloe Grace Moretz is truly awful in it ). Outside of that, she's just really underwhelming.

• Like 2

Just to throw my two cents in. I saw an interview with Robert Patterson once and he said something similar about, how the foundation for the behavior and style of acting was dictated by the style and direction of the first movie and as a result going forward they were sort of bound to the established tone and he was bored to death of it.

I also feel like by the end of the first movie, they all hated being a part of it. Both Kstew and Patterson seem to be relatively ‘serious’ actors and all about their craft. A franchise teen love story doesn’t feel like something they would be super into (based on recent movies they’ve both done). By the end you could see their contempt on the screen.

• Like 2

Also KStew is amazing in Personal Shopper. My mom literally hasn't stopped talking about that movie since we saw it and there's one scene alone in that movie that shows how fucking amazing she is.

I really thought I had included that in my post, but I guess I deleted it by accident because I am an old man who is bad at phones.

(The part about KStew being awesome in Peronsal Shopper. Not the part about your mom because I don't know her)

• Like 1

Might have to give that one a try. The only thing i've ever liked KStew on was Clouds of Sils Maria ( can't really recommend it, outside of hers and Juliette Binoches performances. Chloe Grace Moretz is truly awful in it ). Outside of that, she's just really underwhelming.

It's the same director!

I think I worded it badly.

Even in bad movies like Howling 2, Christopher Lee is still impressive. But in bad movies like Twilight, Pattinson and Stewart are bad. Lee was still professional even in crap he hated. Can we say the same for both Stewart and Pattinson? So, I think some of the blame for their performances in Twilight is on them. We can't say it's all the writers and directors.

They're also young. By the time you're an older actor, you have more of a "bag of tricks" you can pull from to avoid embarrassing yourself, even in a bad movie.

• Like 2

Both of the lead characters are completely vacant shells who never learn anything, and yes that is the problem with Twilight as a whole. It's really the writing of the original books that's the root problem, more than any director or actor who tried to take it on.

• Like 3

Both of the lead characters are completely vacant shells who never learn anything, and yes that is the problem with Twilight as a whole. It's really the writing of the original books that's the root problem, more than any director or actor who tried to take it on.

That's it exactly. When you read those books then they actually captured the essence of those twats rather well.

• Like 5

That's it exactly. When you read those books then they actually captured the essence of those twats rather well.

I found them to be even more insufferable in the books. At least in the movie you get a relatively quick montage set to Lykke Li’s “Possibility” with her looking out the window forlornly as seasons pass. The book is all INTERNAL MONOLOGUE! You have to sit through every insipid thought. It’s like when you have that friend that just can’t seem to get over a breakup and living in their brain - forever!

• Like 3

I am falling ridiculously far behind with work and family commitments -- I barely got my musical monday selection off the ground -- but I will have to make time for Freejack. I actually liked this movie as a kid and I'm fully ready to get my hate on for it.

The book is all INTERNAL MONOLOGUE! You have to sit through every insipid thought.

And those thoughts are REALLY fucking stupid. The one I remember most is when she first sits down at lunch by Edward and they start talking. She asks him if he's going to eat, and he's like, "I'm not hungry." And then her internal monologue is something like, "I told him I wasn't either. What I couldn't tell him, though, was that my stomach was already full...of butterflies!"

• Like 2

So who's on board with my (dumb) theory that Altered Carbon is just a remake of Freejack? I've only watched the first ten minutes of Freejack and I kind of don't want to finish it but I am up for declaring it so...

• Like 1

So who's on board with my (dumb) theory that Altered Carbon is just a remake of Freejack? I've only watched the first ten minutes of Freejack and I kind of don't want to finish it but I am up for declaring it so...

Dude I was literally watching that trailer on Netflix thinking, "Didn't I just watch this dumb movie?" I think what's worse is they're making this into a show so it's like 12 hours of most likely the same dumb shit with things they think are twists but probably can be seen a mile away.

• Like 1

Randomly I was looking at this list of Hollywood power couple that IMDB put on their homepage and Paul and June were on it!!! Literally in between Paul Dano & Zoe Kazan and Barbra Streisand & James Brolin!

Hollywood royalty here on the podcast!

• Like 5

I'll say that I also really liked KStew in Adventureland.