đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 181 - Freejack: LIVE!

I'm still confused as to why Boone's Grandmother is getting hope by seeing Emilio. I mean if it because she is among the poor and somehow sees Emilio as sticking it to the rich or taking down the rich, this is clearly a failure on the part of Boone. He has a good job and clearly lives among the rich so if he loves his grandmother so much why isn't he supporting her more? Have her move in with him. Buy her some nicer things. That'll give her some hope as well and doesn't require a runaway Freejack to help you out.

I think Emilio provides hope because the world of the movie is so epically fucked at that point. It’s a hopeless world where baby coal miners lay abandoned in the street and the only shining object for miles around is the secondhand saxophone being blown by the lonely transient in a grimy, little shantytown. The people in this movie have no way to improve their lot in life. No matter what they do or how hard they work, the people who eat three meals a day at the Pork Chop Diner will never work at McCandless. With no upward mobility, 5 blocks might as well be 500 miles. For them, wealth, comfort, and health are all equally unattainable. In essence, due to the firmly entrenched social structure, free will has been virtually stripped. And without free will where does the average citizen find hope?

From a Freejack of course!

While Emilio knows (and even admits) that everything he’s doing is reactionary, to the citizenry at large he’s proof that perhaps everything isn’t quite as set in stone as it might appear. There is still hope. There’s still a chance to avoid being consigned to a fate not of your own choosing.

The longer he evades the Bonejackers, the longer he’s free to upset their plans, the more the plaster veneer of their oligarchical social structure begins to chip away. It exposes the McCandlesses of their world for what they actually are: Faberge Eggs. Beautiful, perhaps, but brittle and hollow.

As for Boone and his grandmother, he might be dressed nicely, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s wealthy. I don’t think the McCandless corporation would smile too fondly on their chauffeur/bodyguards dressing like an escapees from a Siberian gulag. It could be that he does the best he can for his grandmother. It’s also possible that she’s just an empathetic person. She’s old so she probably has a sense of what the world used to be and should be like.

• Like 7

And once again, Cameron H puts more thought and intelligence into a film in one message board post than a cadre of filmmakers did for the entire movie we're talking about. Well done!

• Like 8

Toward the beginning of the movie Anthony Hopkins is in the Spiritual Mainframe wearing a hooded robe and has Emilio's face! Why?

Through the whole first part of the movie people kept referring to "the Client" when both parties in the conversation knew it was Anthony Hopkins! Why?

The building that has the Spiritual Mainframe in it also has a giant "Jack" on the top of it! Why?

Those are just a few of my questions.

This week, my DLM Challenge viewing has been dedicated to catching up on the Marvel flicks, and when I got to Thor: The Dark World, I wondered if Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins considered it a Freejack reunion.

Or perhaps a continuation, wherein McCandless successfully seduced Julie Redlund and lures her into the Spiritual Switchboard so they could rule virtual Asgard as king and queen.

• Like 4

I wonder if there’s any actual benefit to “stunning” a Freejack. I understand the need to bring him in alive and unharmed, but when your entire world is a rusty and jagged, disease-ridden dystopian nightmare, stunning a person, and sending them sprawling into one of the omnipresent heaps of ragged scrap metal surrounding you, just seems like a surefire way to give them a one way ticket to Cholera County on the Hepatitis Highway.

• Like 3

It has been a harrowing week. I forgot my password. I am Tig. Listeners would hate me.

I wanted to talk about Faberge eggs. Because when listening o thought, "didn't people have weird fake Faberge eggs in the 80s?" I googled decorative eggs and was BOGGLED by the results. It is still a thing. I looked at some hideous ones Wayfair and eBay. I had links but now you will have to do that research yourself.

So maybe if you need a Valentine's day gift, say you care with a weirdly decorated egg. (Is Jason also allergic to ceramic ones?)

It doesn't look like any of the real Faberge eggs are in Philly. There are some in Baltimore, Cleveland, Richmond, DC and New York though.

• Like 7

I found it funny that in the elevator, Furlong pressed just about every other button except "STOP", he even skips that row. Maybe the futuristic user interface of the elevator was too confusing for our man from the past. Not that would have mattered, as the elevator was on a ghost in the machine autopilot, but at least I would have started with that button.

freejack1.jpgfreejack2.jpgfreejack3.jpgfreejack4.jpg

"You drive your typewriter, I'll drive my car :rolleyes: ", "Alex, IT'S A COMPUTER :angry: "

• Like 6

This week, my DLM Challenge viewing has been dedicated to catching up on the Marvel flicks, and when I got to Thor: The Dark World, I wondered if Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins considered it a Freejack reunion.

Or perhaps a continuation, wherein McCandless successfully seduced Julie Redlund and lures her into the Spiritual Switchboard so they could rule virtual Asgard as king and queen.

So what you're really saying is that the Thor movies are in a Jacob's Ladder situation?

I'm so sorry y'all I had to do it.

• Like 4

So what you're really saying is that the Thor movies are in a Jacob's Ladder situation?

I'm so sorry y'all I had to do it.

Jacob's Ladder = Bifrost Bridge

• Like 4

I thought the Bifrost Bridge was seeing Chris Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett, and Tom Hiddleston all in the same movie makes the viewer cross the bridge to bisexuality?

• Like 5

I thought the Bifrost Bridge was seeing Chris Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett, and Tom Hiddleston all in the same movie makes the viewer cross the bridge to bisexuality?

wrqx4zl.gif

• Like 3