🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Blast Hardcheese

Good Weird Movies You'd Recommend for HDTGM

I know good weird movies a la Crank 1 & 2, Punisher: Warzone and the Fast/Furious franchise are few and far between on HDTGM these days, but if you had your druthers, what good-yet-strang-ish movies would you like to see Paul, June, Jason, and a guest discuss.

To get the ball rolling, here are some of mine:

1. The American Astronaut (2001)

2. A Boy and His Dog (1975)

3. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

4. Johnny Suede (1991)

5. Dead Alive (1992)

6. Repo Man (1984)

7. Suburbia (1983)

8. They Live (1988)

9. Murder Party (2007)

10. May (2002)

• Like 2

I know good weird movies a la Crank 1 & 2, Punisher: Warzone and the Fast/Furious franchise are few and far between on HDTGM these days, but if you had your druthers, what good-yet-strang-ish movies would you like to see Paul, June, Jason, and a guest discuss.

To get the ball rolling, here are some of mine:

1. The American Astronaut (2001)

2. A Boy and His Dog (1975)

3. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

4. Johnny Suede (1991)

5. Dead Alive (1992)

6. Repo Man (1984)

7. Suburbia (1983)

8. They Live (1988)

9. Murder Party (2007)

10. May (2002)

I agree with both Buckaroo Banzai and They Live.

• Like 2

Haha, I LOVE The American Astronaut. That is how you do a zero-budget weird as hell indie and still make it good and entertaining. Would probably make a good double feature with 1984's The Brother from Another Planet starring character actor extraordinaire, Joe Morton.

thebrotherfromanotherplanetposter.jpg

Oh, and They Live? Fuck, I will talk about They Live in any context, always and forever.

• Like 4

Haha, I LOVE The American Astronaut. That is how you do a zero-budget weird as hell indie and still make it good and entertaining. Would probably make a good double feature with 1984's The Brother from Another Planet starring character actor extraordinaire, Joe Morton.

thebrotherfromanotherplanetposter.jpg

Oh, and They Live? Fuck, I will talk about They Live in any context, always and forever.

Oh my gawd! I totally forgot about this movie. Yes, totally! The Brother from Another Planet and The American Astronaut would make for a perfect double feature.

Whenever I recommend The American Astronaut to anyone looking for an odd movie recommendation, I'll usually describe it as Eraserhead meets Firefly meets Rock And Roll High School. This still doesn't seem to do this amazingly efficient sci-fi indie musical justice, though.

• Like 2

Whenever I recommend The American Astronaut to anyone looking for an odd movie recommendation, I'll usually describe it as Eraserhead meets Firefly meets Rock And Roll High School. This still doesn't seem to do this amazingly efficient sci-fi indie musical justice, though.

Cory McAbee's follow-up is also pretty good: Stingray Sam.

• Like 1

Honestly, Eraserhead could probably qualify as its own HDTGM movie. I'd certainly like to hear June's explanations of what's happening.

• Like 1

Controversial pick here but....

SPEED RACER

I love this movie totally and completely.

• Like 5

Cory McAbee's follow-up is also pretty good: Stingray Sam.

Completely agree. "Welcome to Mars" is one of the best opening songs in the history of moving pictures.

Delicatessen?

Reminding myself that the cleaning / sex scene from "I Know Who Killed Me" is a straight ripoff (excuse me, homage) from Delicatessen.

Liquid Sky (1982)

Forbidden Zone (1980)

Night of the Creeps (1985)

Naked Lunch (1991)

Holy Motors (2012)

• Like 1

Naked Lunch (1991)

Every time I see this movie's title, I think of two things.

1) This movie is the reason Peter Weller wasn't in RoboCop 3

2) This joke in The Simpsons:

• Like 5

Every time I see this movie's title, I think of two things.

1) This movie is the reason Peter Weller wasn't in RoboCop 3

Peter Weller made the right choice.

• Like 4

Peter Weller made the right choice.

How can you say such a thing?!

Any actor worth is salt would be chomping at the bit to say the line "My friends call me Murphy, but you call me... ROBOCOP!!!!"

Weller's a fool.

Repo! The Genetic Opera

I'm actually not sure if this is a good movie but, when it came out, I'd watched it about 5 times and had fun every time. I think it's cheesy and sensational.

Don't get it confused with Repo Man which came out around the same time. Repo! The Genetic Opera is a musical that stars Spy Kid (Aelxa PenaVega), Giles (Anthony Head) and Paris Hilton (you might now her as Paris Hilton).

In a dystopian future where organ failure becomes an epidemic. A biotech company offers healthy organs on loan. What happens when you can no longer pay for your organs? The repo man (Giles) comes after you! It's also some metaphor about the addiction of plastic surgery or something like that. That's what I remember at least. What I remember most is this movie is bonkers! There's singing, there's gore, there's Paris Hilton! HOT! What more can you ask for?!

You can rent it on Amazon Prime for $1.99.

https://youtu.be/gAj56LYXkK4

If I understand the criteria, here are a few that I would suggest:

- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

- Dolemite

- Rocky IV

- Death Wish III

- Death Wish IV

• Like 1

Also, White Dog

White Dog is a 1982 American drama film, which Samuel Fuller directed from a screenplay he and Curtis Hanson had dramatized, which, in turn, they based loosely on Romain Gary's 1970 novel of the same title. The film depicts the struggle of a dog trainer named Keys (Paul Winfield), who is black, trying to retrain a stray dog found by a young actress (Kristy McNichol), that is a "white dog"—a dog trained to make vicious attacks upon, and to kill, any black person. Fuller uses the film as a platform to deliver an anti-racist message as it examines the question of whether racism is a treatable problem or an incurable condition.

"Weird" is kinda hard to define, but...

Manos: The Hands of Fate- was practically made for this show, especially because the daughter of the guy who made it (and has a part in it as a kid) is having a sequel made and would probably love to be on the show.

The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure- They should have Nathan Rabin, who runs a site that's basically HDTGM in blog form, be the guest on that episode, since his old column in The AV Club is what made it truly infamous.

And the others need no explanation:

Movie 43 and Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park