🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 181.5 - Minisode 181.5

In honor of Rockstar, I was just curious, are there any bands out there on your “must buy” list? By which I mean, without hearing a note of music, if so-and-so is releasing new material, you’re buying the album.

I’ll extend this question to include any artists work (i.e. actors/directors/authors etc)

I thought that maybe I should answer my own question :)/>

Off the top of my head, anything by Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Oasis/Noel Gallagher (not Liam), and The Mr T Experience. Thanks to UTU2TM, U2 is getting there.

Weezer used to be one, but it's no longer a "right away" thing. More like, "I'll get it eventually..."

• Like 1

Paul McCartney still but that's out of obligation more than enjoyment anymore.

I thought NEW was his best album in years.

• Like 1

is this the first Jennifer Aniston movie they've covered? (besides mac & me)

And it's the first Mark Wahlberg film the gang is doing also.

In honor of Rockstar, I was just curious, are there any bands out there on your “must buy” list? By which I mean, without hearing a note of music, if so-and-so is releasing new material, you’re buying the album.

I’ll extend this question to include any artists work (i.e. actors/directors/authors etc)

Not so much in music, I don't think there is any current band or singer that is still releasing things that I would get without question.

Comics I feel is a bit of a cheat. There are certain creators like Fraction, Vaughn, Spencer, etc. that I will always read the first issue of their latest series. It is very easy to pick up a first issue and give it a try, but sticking with it is a whole other story. That said if I heard that Brubaker and Phillips did a series together that is an automatic full series buy.

Movies and actors there are too many. If I like them I will support them and it takes a fair bit for me to quit them.

• Like 3

Not so much in music, I don't think there is any current band or singer that is still releasing things that I would get without question.

Comics I feel is a bit of a cheat. There are certain creators like Fraction, Vaughn, Spencer, etc. that I will always read the first issue of their latest series. It is very easy to pick up a first issue and give it a try, but sticking with it is a whole other story. That said if I heard that Brubaker and Phillips did a series together that is an automatic full series buy.

Movies and actors there are too many. If I like them I will support them and it takes a fair bit for me to quit them.

I agree with all your comic picks.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, anything by Paul McCartney, Brian Wilson, Oasis/Noel Gallagher (not Liam), and The Mr T Experience. Thanks to UTU2TM, U2 is getting there.

U talking U2 to me is helping U2 for me, but I realized I don't like any of the albums after All That You Can't Leave Behind. They make me think I'll like it but I know I won't.

I thought NEW was his best album in years.

For sure but it was preceded by Kisses On The Bottom which is one of his worst ever.

In all fairness, I like all of his albums on some level (except maybe Press To Play or Back To The Egg). But if I'm in the mood for McCartney, anything after Flaming Pie isn't going to be near my first choice.

• Like 2

U talking U2 to me is helping U2 for me, but I realized I don't like any of the albums after All That You Can't Leave Behind. They make me think I'll like it but I know I won't.

For sure but it was preceded by Kisses On The Bottom which is one of his worst ever.

In all fairness, I like all of his albums on some level (except maybe Press To Play or Back To The Egg). But if I'm in the mood for McCartney, anything after Flaming Pie isn't going to be near my first choice.

Press to Play is his worst album. Kisses on the Bottom is the worst title for an album. I'm cool with Back to the Egg. :)

I feel like his albums are always a bit uneven. There are moments of brilliance mixed with a lot of crap - especially (as you said) post Flaming Pie. Still, I'll buy it every time because the good is always going to outweigh the bad. And even if he were to release Press to Play 2, I know he's got it in him to bounce back.

• Like 2

Weezer used to be one, but it's no longer a "right away" thing. More like, "I'll get it eventually..."

Same. I think it was around Hurley that I was like meh...

• Like 2

i started to answer the question and then ended up going on a long rant that went nowhere and didn't come near to answering you but it took me too long at this late hour to delete so i'll just put it in a spoiler and you can read or skip it

no. i've never been one to do that. i actually don't understand it. with anything. i've never gotten excited about a movie just because this actor is in it or this person directed it. same goes for albums, books, tv shows ... i need to listen to it or watch it or read some reviews etc first. i've never considered myself a fan of anything. i mean, i like things or bands or whatever and if a band i like comes here i get excited and try to get tickets ... i don't know. i've never really thought of this before ... am i a fan of anyone ... does liking a band make you a fan or does it go deeper than that? what is a fan these days? there are some weird fans out there today. god help you if you say any negative about their obsessions. i was on a U2 board a while back and the way people talked about them really disturbed me. it was like they were gods.. like they were family members. or it was like they were ... how do i put this ...i couldn't understand what they were saying about the band. they could do no wrong... there was an issue with the presale for the latest tour and some people were angry at the lack of action by the band and others got really upset by this suggestion. it was everyones fault but the bands. U2 were infallible in their eyes. so, to counter this, i pointed out they were just 4 lads from dublin who were just as capable as f**king up as the rest of us humans and, oh man, that didn't go down well. i had to get out of there. i felt bad for saying it because their responses hinted they had gone passed normal fandom into a whole other level. none of it was angry. just really... i found them to be obsessed. i think i'd hate if someone felt like that towards me. what kind of pressure does that put on a person? you see it today with fans of musicians, movie stars, politicians ... it's all gone very weird. or maybe it's been weird all along i'm only getting to see it now because of social media ... something i'm weening myself off because of just this kind of mentality. you gotta be able to question everything. i hate blind allegiance. it's very dangerous. you guys don't need to look far to see the effects of this ... <br></p><p><br></p><p>how did i get talking about all that??

to answer your question properly ... i haven't bought any music in years. that's not how i consume music anymore. i mostly just use youtube. i'm actually struggling to find music i like anymore... and by that i mean new music.i always go back to the songs i've listened to forever but i think i'm just at an age/place in my life where the music being released just sounds terrible. never thought that would happen but there you go. not all of it but i can't seem to connect with alot of it. it's either empty, boring, i can't understand what they're saying or i understand exactly what they're saying and i dont give a s**t. these days i just keep clicking on videos on youtube till i find something i like and then see what else they've released.

here's a few highlights from my latest finds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54fea7wuV6s

this song and video blow me away. and check out "Virile" from the blaze too. another quality track and great video.

edit: not sure why that video didn't load but it's well worth a click. just listen to it as loud as you can bear preferably through headphones...

this whole concert is amazing but this does something to me every time i listen to it. especially the 2nd half. i'd never heard of woodkid before and now i just want to go see him live.

i think i'm limited to 2 videos so here's a few other things:

Hooverphonic Live

The XX ... yeah i'm late to the party on that one

and about a dozen random dance tracks ... i'm in abit of a mood lately so most of them are either very uplifting or aggressive ... fuel to the fire kinda thing

• Like 3

I agree with all your comic picks.

Our comic tastes align yet again!

Not to derail things too much but for all the comic book readers here, thoughts or feelings on Bendis going over to DC and writing Superman?

• Like 2

Press to Play is his worst album. Kisses from the Bottom is the worst title for an album. I'm cool with Back to the Egg. :)/>

I feel like his albums are always a bit uneven. There are moments of brilliance mixed with a lot of crap - especially (as you said) post Flaming Pie. Still, I'll buy it every time because the good is always going to outweigh the bad. And even if he were to release Press to Play 2, I know he's got it in him to bounce back.

I could literally have this conversation for hours but I will spare everyone a song by song, album by album analysis of solo McCartney.

• Like 2

It's just gonna be talking about Metal the entire time, fuck the movie

Sounds like way more fun than talking about Mark Wahlberg!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Not to derail things too much but for all the comic book readers here, thoughts or feelings on Bendis going over to DC and writing Superman?

1. Your tastes in comics are GOOD.

2. I'm excited for Bendis taking over Superman. I've really loved Superman since DC did Rebirth a year and a half ago, but I think it's suffered since Gleason stopped doing to art. I think his creative input seems less integrated into the story, so the influx of someone like Bendis can only help the book. I'm an unabashed Bendis fanboy and I've loved his superhero stuff at Marvel, from Jessica Jones to X-Men to Iron Man. He has a knack for getting the the hear of a single character in ways I never thought possible. He made me love Tony Stark more than I ever thought I could.

• Like 2

Metallica

Megadeth

Slayer

Anthrax

Dethklok

• Like 3

Buying albums isn't something I do anymore, but I have consistently bought every AC/DC album, ever since they became "our band" for my high school friend group. (This wasn't a contemporary act, we went to high school in the mid-90s. We were just the "classic rock" dorks.)

That said, I probably won't continue doing so, after Malcolm Young's death. Feels like it's not going to really be the same band anymore.

For film directors, there are many: Tarantino, Coen Bros, PT Anderson, Wes Anderson, all will get me in the theater no matter what. I've been pretty consistent with Spielberg and Scorsese too. If Miyazaki is not actually retired and makes another movie, I'll also be there for that.

• Like 3

Beach House, Joanna Newsom.

Also Bjork up to Volta and then... well... then i changed my mind <_<

• Like 3

I'm sorry, i can't help but notice that it seems that Paul McCartney has an album titled " Kisses On The Bottom "?

... what?

• Like 3

I'm sorry, i can't help but notice that it seems that Paul McCartney has an album titled " Kisses On The Bottom "?

... what?

He does, and he had the piss taken out of him for months after it came out.

It's supposed to mean "Kisses on the bottom of a love note, or a card", but it just makes it sound like he's kissing an arse.

However, the all time best mishap was when Susan Boyle was releasing an album, and they said "Susan Boyle's new album is out today, so we're celebrating that with the hashtag #SusanAlbumParty".

The problems arose when #SusanAlbumParty is written in lower case letters, #susanalbumparty, which can be read as "Su's Anal Bum Party"

• Like 5

Depeche Mode, Bowie :(, Mark Lanegan, Queens of the Stone Age. Taika Waititi hasn't done me wrong yet.

there are some weird fans out there today. god help you if you say any negative about their obsessions.

Yeah, I feel this a lot. I had to distance myself from artists online because of the fan posts I was seeing. If it wasn't someone broadcasting their darkest sexual desires, or trolling on behalf of another artist, it was a lot of blind hero worship. A musician I enjoy really screwed up the other month (which is on brand for them really), and the garbage I saw people posting to defend that person was abysmal. From blaming and name calling the victim in the incident, to expressing that they'd love for the artist to physically assault them... flippin' yikes.

• Like 2

Honestly, I think it's pretty interesting. He wasn't the sole reason I got back into comics, but after dipping my toes in the water, he was a big factor in what made me take the plunge. For that, I owe him big time. I guess I can see why his stuff can be divisive, but he's always been nothing but fun for me.

Personally, as a person who hasn't touched a DC comic in years, this is the very move that might make me interested in checking out what's going on over there.

Depeche Mode, Bowie :(, Mark Lanegan, Queens of the Stone Age. Taika Waititi hasn't done me wrong yet.

All solid picks. Bowie (and Tom Petty) would have both made my list. I've always been a fan of Depeche Mode, but it's only been in the past few months where I've sought stuff outside of just their Greatest Hits or whatever. So, yeah, going forward, I'm with you on them, too :)

I also agree with you on Waititi

A musician I enjoy really screwed up the other month (which is on brand for them really), and the garbage I saw people posting to defend that person was abysmal.

Heaven knows [we're] miserable now...

• Like 2

He does, and he had the piss taken out of him for months after it came out.

It's supposed to mean "Kisses on the bottom of a love note, or a card", but it just makes it sound like he's kissing an arse.

However, the all time best mishap was when Susan Boyle was releasing an album, and they said "Susan Boyle's new album is out today, so we're celebrating that with the hashtag #SusanAlbumParty".

The problems arose when #SusanAlbumParty is written in lower case letters, #susanalbumparty, which can be read as "Su's Anal Bum Party"

Still seems different though. The susanalbumparty fiasco looked like something someone probably didn't notice. Paul McCartneys album though? Lots of people have to had noticed. Lots. Either he's surrounded by yes men or people just kinda shrugged and thought " well, he IS Paul McCartney, i guess he knows what he's doing. ", and he didn't, and now for generations people like me will learn of this and have a moment of brightness in their day, so i guess it all works out in the end?

Anywho, an album party to you Sir.

Hey Paul, considering Denis Leary's demonstrable proclivity for ripping people off (does anyone remember Bill Hicks?), I'd say help yourself to his ideas.

Oddly enough, the bit Paul discusses in the episode is a Bill Hicks bit.

• Like 4

Still seems different though. The susanalbumparty fiasco looked like something someone probably didn't notice. Paul McCartneys album though? Lots of people have to had noticed. Lots. Either he's surrounded by yes men or people just kinda shrugged and thought " well, he IS Paul McCartney, i guess he knows what he's doing. ", and he didn't, and now for generations people like me will learn of this and have a moment of brightness in their day, so i guess it all works out in the end?

Anywho, an album party to you Sir.

Honestly, I don’t think the double entendre escaped him. He’s not that naive, and knowing what I what I’ve read about him and his humor (he does have one Beetle fucking another on the back of Ram after all), I’m sure it’s just something he thought was funny.

When I Googled it there were also a lot of “Huh?” type articles when it was announced - but before it was released. That tells me that if it was something that really escaped him, he’d have had plenty of time to change it.

According to the man himself, because of course people asked, it was taken from a lyric from a Fats Waller song “I’m Going to Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter” - the lead song on the album:

I'm gonna write words oh so sweet

They're gonna knock me off my feet

A lotta kisses on the bottom

I'll be glad I've got 'em

My guess is, Paul decided to do an album of jazz standards just because it was something he wanted to do. But because he knew people would be on his ass about doing something like that, he called it “Kisses on the Bottom.” In other words, Paul McCartney, in the most Paul McCartney way possible, is telling critics to “kiss my ass.”

• Like 2

Also Bjork up to Volta and then... well... then i changed my mind <_<

I love Bjork forever and always, that includes everything since Volta. I do, however, enjoy albums like Biophilia and Utopia differently than albums like Post or Homogenic. While I can go back to those earlier records again and again and jam to them, I view the more recent ones almost like movies. I listen to them two or three times when they are initially released, am enthralled and fascinated by them, but then put them away until the next Bjork album comes around when I might want to revisit them consciously to re-familiarize myself with them. It's a more... intellectual engagement with art, to be sure, but I also enjoy, for example, Raiders of the Lost Ark differently than I enjoy Schindler's List, and there's certainly room for both on my shelf.

• Like 4