🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 31 Umbrellas of Cherbourg

So this movie was all in French and I had to read the subtitles which were in Japanese so something could simply be lost in translation at some point, but there is one bit that confused me that hopefully somebody can clear up for me. When Genevieve is trying to decide between Roland and Guy the mother relates a story of her experience. It basically was along the lines of she was young and in love with a guy like Guy, but she married Genevieve's father instead and maybe wasn't as happy with him as she would have been with the first guy. Then she wants Genevieve to marry Roland because she doesn't want her to have regrets like she does. Is this accurate to what was said? The gist of it anyway? It seems to me if it is, isn't that a case for her to wait for Guy? The mother wants Genevieve to be happy, says she would have been more happy with her first suitor, and then urges Genevieve not to make the same mistake. That seems to point to "wait for Guy" not "take the safe bet"

I was thinking it was more like "I should have married the rich guy and had a comfortable life instead of marrying for love and being poor and struggling." She doesn't want to part with any of her belongings and she doesn't want to sell the shop either. Yet it's very odd that she sells the shop after Genevieve gets married. If she'd sold the shop earlier she wouldn't have struggled as much.

• Like 3

It seems like most people disliked the mother in this movie, but I had sympathy for her. I might not have agreed with her actions, but I think her heart was in the right place. You could tell she only wanted the best for her daughter, and the "best" to her in this case was financial security over being with your first love. I'm just saying, as I get older, I find myself thinking, "I should've listened to my mother" more.

• Like 5

It seems like most people disliked the mother in this movie, but I had sympathy for her. I might not have agreed with her actions, but I think her heart was in the right place. You could tell she only wanted the best for her daughter, and the "best" to her in this case was financial security over being with your first love. I'm just saying, as I get older, I find myself thinking, "I should've listened to my mother" more.

I didn't really like the mother, but I could see where she was coming from. But the way she'd say some things to Geneveive came off the wrong way. But that could've been the translation...

She came off a bit too controlling and critical.

But moms in movies, and especially "coming of age" movies, are almost always depicted in a similar way. They mean well and want the best for their child, but their delivery is bad. Or what they want for their child isn't what's best but they are unaware.

• Like 4

If she'd sold the shop earlier she wouldn't have struggled as much.

Or if she sold more than umbrellas in her shop :P

• Like 5

Or if she sold more than umbrellas in her shop :P/>

It wasn’t even that rainy! ;)

• Like 6

It’s not that I didn’t like her, but I was pretty apathetic toward pretty much everyone. I feel like the movie was cast with archetypes. If I feel anything toward them, it’s because of the way I’ve been conditioned to feel about them. Outside of loving each other, like, lots and lots, I don’t really know anything about either Geneviève or Guy. As such, they feel like ciphers. I don’t feel like anyone ever actually earned my sympathy.

• Like 4

Just finished watching. I did enjoy this one, But think the continuous/ coversational singing did wear on me a bit. But it's definitely one of the better ones we've covered that is all singing /no spoken dialogue.

I agree here. While it was an inspired idea, putting all the dialogue in song was hard to follow. The movie being French helped with this, as it's almost impossible to imagine something similar done as successfully in English (nevermind German or Swedish).

• Like 5

I kind of agree with you. I obviously don't know much about French culture of the time, but think of it this way.

I think we all know teenage love generally doesn't last long no matter how much they claim it's going to last forever. Guy gets your only (underage?) daughter pregnant right before leaving for war. I mean, does anyone expect that relationship to last? Supposing Guy even comes back at all?

I don't like the choice the mother made but I guess I get it. Genevieve isn't the only girl in the 1950s to get sold off to the wealthiest suitor to come calling.

• Like 4

I agree here. While it was an inspired idea, putting all the dialogue in song was hard to follow. The movie being French helped with this, as it's almost impossible to imagine something similar done as successfully in English (nevermind German or Swedish).

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I kind of agree with you. I obviously don't know much about French culture of the time, but think of it this way.

I think we all know teenage love generally doesn't last long no matter how much they claim it's going to last forever. Guy gets your only (underage?) daughter pregnant right before leaving for war. I mean, does anyone expect that relationship to last? Supposing Guy even comes back at all?

I don't like the choice the mother made but I guess I get it. Genevieve isn't the only girl in the 1950s to get sold off to the wealthiest suitor to come calling.

full.gigi-italian-24911__02315.1515523950.1280.1280.jpg

• Like 3

I would like to believe she's looking out for her daughter's best interest and only that but it is a bit of what is best for my daughter that will also benefit me. I mean her whole infatuation with Roland is just her wanting money and status. She knows nothing about this man other than he's rich and she's throwing her daughter at him. She talks to him for five minutes and already decided he's great for her, yet she dismisses Guy with never meeting him. While it is fair to argue that she wants her daughter to be secure, it just seems odd that she's so full in on Roland immediately. It's one of those "I was spurned and I don't want you to go through that" yet who's to say that won't happen. Maybe lead with the story about how you were jilted before forcing your daughter into a loveless but secure marriage. Then again in love stories I am kinda a sucker for love winning out, and as a result the mother just kinda falls into the villainous role as she's the one trying to keep them apart.

• Like 4

I would like to believe she's looking out for her daughter's best interest and only that but it is a bit of what is best for my daughter that will also benefit me. I mean her whole infatuation with Roland is just her wanting money and status. She knows nothing about this man other than he's rich and she's throwing her daughter at him. She talks to him for five minutes and already decided he's great for her, yet she dismisses Guy with never meeting him. While it is fair to argue that she wants her daughter to be secure, it just seems odd that she's so full in on Roland immediately. It's one of those "I was spurned and I don't want you to go through that" yet who's to say that won't happen. Maybe lead with the story about how you were jilted before forcing your daughter into a loveless but secure marriage. Then again in love stories I am kinda a sucker for love winning out, and as a result the mother just kinda falls into the villainous role as she's the one trying to keep them apart.

I think we might also want to consider the situation the mother is in: unwed woman soon to be grandmother supporting both daughter and grandchild and her finances are already not good. And it's still the 1950s.

Thing's look vey bad for her and that's the kind of situation you are very unlikely to recover from. Her status is the only thing that's likely to keep them afloat if Genevieve doesn't marry a wealthy man.

Obviously, people get by being poor every day. She could sell the jewellery and even store for decent money but, if she does that, that's all the money she gets forever. Job prospects aren't great for formerly well to do single women now. They were worse 60 years ago. She's not just saving herself; she is saving her daughter and unborn grandchild from a life of being scullery maids or whatever.

• Like 1

I think we might also want to consider the situation the mother is in: unwed woman soon to be grandmother supporting both daughter and grandchild and her finances are already not good. And it's still the 1950s.

Thing's look vey bad for her and that's the kind of situation you are very unlikely to recover from. Her status is the only thing that's likely to keep them afloat if Genevieve doesn't marry a wealthy man.

Obviously, people get by being poor every day. She could sell the jewellery and even store for decent money but, if she does that, that's all the money she gets forever. Job prospects aren't great for formerly well to do single women now. They were worse 60 years ago. She's not just saving herself; she is saving her daughter and unborn grandchild from a life of being scullery maids or whatever.

And if Guy were dead, I might agree with you. But he’s not. She knows he’s not. She was pushing her into Roland’s arms before Guy got conscripted.

No, Guy was never going to be rich, but he could have supported them.

I think it’s time to consider what the “Umbrellas of Cherbourg” actually are. Umbrellas - as she sells them - are a frivolous solution to a minor misfortune. Not to mention, rain isn’t even a “bad” thing. At worst, at least as far as the movie is concerned, rain is an inconvenience.

In this movie, Roland is an “umbrella.” Gen’s mother is trying to convince her - "sell her" on the idea, if you will - that she needs him to shelter against the “rain,” but in actuality, he’s nothing more than an accessory. Guy, like the rain, is nurturing. No, being with him won’t always be sunshine and lollipops, but neither is being with Roland. Umbrellas might protect you from the rain, provide you some measure of comfort, but they don’t stop it from raining.

• Like 3

And if Guy were dead, I might agree with you. But he’s not. She knows he’s not. She was pushing her into Roland’s arms before Guy got conscripted.

No, Guy was never going to be rich, but he could have supported them.

I think it’s time to consider what the “Umbrellas of Cherbourg” actually are. Umbrellas - as she sells them - are a frivolous solution to a minor misfortune. Not to mention, rain isn’t even a “bad” thing. At worst, at least as far as the movie is concerned, rain is an inconvenience.

In this movie, Roland is an “umbrella.” Gen’s mother is trying to convince her (sell her on the idea) that she needs him to shelter against the “rain,” but in actuality, he’s nothing more than an accessory. Guy, like the rain, is nurturing. No, being with him won’t always be sunshine and lollipops, but neither is being with Roland. Umbrellas might protect you from the rain, provide you some measure of comfort, but they don’t stop it from raining.

I guess I go back to teenagers in love often don't last even when one is pregnant (Or sometimes specifically because one is pregnant).

I might bee wrong about this but we know Genevieve's father isn't on the picture and I don't think he's dead. Maybe he is but I just assume he left (does the movie say?). So, maybe that's another reason for the mother's thought process.

I guess I go back to teenagers in love often don't last even when one is pregnant (Or sometimes specifically because one is pregnant).

I might bee wrong about this but we know Genevieve's father isn't on the picture and I don't think he's dead. Maybe he is but I just assume he left (does the movie say?). So, maybe that's another reason for the mother's thought process.

If I recall correctly he was passed on. Not sure how long or when but I'm 90% certain at one point Genevieve's mother was referred to as a widow.

• Like 3

If I recall correctly he was passed on. Not sure how long or when but I'm 90% certain at one point Genevieve's mother was referred to as a widow.

Welp, not the first time I wasn't paying enough attention to a movie and been wrong. Forget my second point then.

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone here is still with their first sweetheart? If not, do you wish you were?

• Like 2

So the solution to "teenage love doesn't last long" is "force that relationship to a premature end and saddle your daughter with the first rich guy that shows mild interest?"

• Like 2

Just wondering if anyone here is still with their first sweetheart? If not, do you wish you were?

No. It took me a long time to get over my first love, but our lives went in completely different directions. It was for the best.

• Like 2

So the solution to "teenage love doesn't last long" is "force that relationship to a premature end and saddle your daughter with the first rich guy that shows mild interest?"

No, certainly not. But I understand her reluctance to wait around for Guy especially if you're facing almost certain poverty. I also think pushing/ forcing daughters into marriages of convenience for money was significantly more common than it is today.

I don't agree with her choices. It certainly doesn't align with my personal beliefs on how relationships should work. I think it's a bit more complex a scenario than being the villain of the story.

• Like 1

No not with her and she's married now so no chance either. I am still friends with her and every time we're together it is always fun and we still have similar interests and likes. If things played out differently I'm sure I'd still happily be with her now. C'est la vie, que sera sera.

• Like 4

No and hell no. I am a much different man than I was ~18-19 years old.

• Like 5

No, certainly not. But I understand her reluctance to wait around for Guy especially if you're facing almost certain poverty. I also think pushing/ forcing daughters into marriages of convenience for money was significantly more common than it is today.

I don't agree with her choices. It certainly doesn't align with my personal beliefs on how relationships should work. I think it's a bit more complex a scenario than being the villain of the story.

I agree she's not necessarily a "bad" guy, but she's certainly the antagonist. You can understand her rationale, even if you don't agree with it. However, you can't excuse her that easily. She might be "complex," but she's not *that* complex. It's not that she doesn't want her daughter with Guy because he's off at war or because Gen gets pregnant. Before either of those things happen, she makes it abundantly clear that she doesn't want Gen to be with Guy. So it's not that she's reluctant to "wait for Guy." War and the baby just gives her that fuel to stoke Gen's paranoia fire so she can get her daughter to do what she wants her to do.

• Like 2

No not with her and she's married now so no chance either. I am still friends with her and every time we're together it is always fun and we still have similar interests and likes. If things played out differently I'm sure I'd still happily be with her now. C'est la vie, que sera sera.

:o I can't imagine keeping in touch with any of my exes.

• Like 2