🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 182 - Rock Star: LIVE!

I agree with all this. I was just extrapolating 1. They had sex and 2. Mark Wahlburg didn't know this was trans. If both those things are true, then what is this movie saying?

This is certainly not the movie to be addressing trans issues. I would assume the writers didn't put this or any thought into it. The writers were just "lol chix with dix lol"

Oh I completely understand but I guess I'm trying so hard to cling to that idea that Tonya in fact didn't trick him because like you said - what is this movie trying to say with that? At least it was made in 2001 and not today because if it had then people would be clamoring to say "see this is why we can't let them use our bathrooms" and just YIKES!

That's exactly what I think those stupid ass writers were saying while writing this character lol.

• Like 5

So, what does Tim "Ripper" Owens think of the movie that is loosely based on his life?

"They fabricated things and decided to pull away from my story and make their own because I guess mine was too normal... There's no telling what they put in there. If I could sue, I would!"

• Like 1

Oh I completely understand but I guess I'm trying so hard to cling to that idea that Tonya in fact didn't trick him because like you said - what is this movie trying to say with that? At least it was made in 2001 and not today because if it had then people would be clamoring to say "see this is why we can't let them use our bathrooms" and just YIKES!

That's exactly what I think those stupid ass writers were saying while writing this character lol.

Made in 2001 and set in the 1980s. At this point, I think all movies set in the 1980s pick that time just so they can say "fag" and pretend to get away with it. I know people used homophobic insults more commonly in the 80s than today, but you're movie isn't shooting for ultra realism; you can probably skip this one aspect of the 80s and before.

• Like 2

Here's one thing I picked up on as well.

When Mark Wahlberg is kicked out of the tribute band, and when Jennifer Aniston is told "You can still manage us if you want to", she tells them "I'm a businesswoman, and you follow the talent, and all the fucking talent just walked out the room!" How can she say that? The tribute band are incredibly talented, especially the two guitarists, because they're keeping up with Zakk Wylde's guitar playing, Zakk Wylde is one of the best guitar players in the world, so to say "All the talent just walked out the room!" is just blatently false.

• Like 1

(the title 'All That Jizz' was a personal favourite)

600x600.jpg

**No one will get this reference**

600x600.jpg

I don't get the reference.

But, fuck it, Rockstar inspired Zakk Wylde Jukebox continues

Also - Glad others are on the same page with me about the Tonya deal. I know the movie was set in the 80's but I felt like if they were trying to be truthful to the culture of the times, the writers still didn't do a very good job of presenting a trans character as a real person and not just a weird prop for offensive humor.

• Like 4

Going back to my notes, during the piercing scene, I actually wrote "I hope his nipple falls off".

• Like 1

Quick correction: I think June said that the needle used for nipple piercing wasn't sterilized, but it totally was. Aniston totally swirled it in her whiskey sour (or whatever it was), so that totally makes it ok. Basically the piercing version of the 5 second rule.

• Like 4

Going back to my notes, during the piercing scene, I actually wrote "I hope his nipple falls off".

So many things can go wrong with piercing, it's insane they tried that.

Quick correction: I think June said that the needle used for nipple piercing wasn't sterilized, but it totally was. Aniston totally swirled it in her whiskey sour (or whatever it was), so that totally makes it ok. Basically the piercing version of the 5 second rule.

To wit.

I agree with all this. I was just extrapolating 1. They had sex and 2. Mark Wahlburg didn't know this was trans. If both those things are true, then what is this movie saying?

This is certainly not the movie to be addressing trans issues. I would assume the writers didn't put this or any thought into it. The writers were just "lol chix with dix lol"

Yeah... I think they imply they had sex when they are riding in the golf cart a few scenes later and she says "Show them what you can do with that amazing tongue of yours" or something like that. Which brings upmore questions.

Oh yeah... while she's peeing I'm pretty sure she calls him "lover," which is me being literal, but I think that's what they were implying.

This was made in 2001 (pre 9/11) which is very much in keeping with the 80s/90s sensibilities - Ace Ventura, The Naked Gun, The Crying Game, Crocodile Dundee, Sleepaway camp.

• Like 3

So many things can go wrong with piercing, it's insane they tried that.

I hear it's one of the most painful places to pierce, too.

That's also another moment of some homophobia played for laughs. That whole scene exists so that MM and JA can exchange a look when Bobby Beers lists the nipple piercing as proof that he's gay.

• Like 2

One of my favorite things about this movie is the parents... for all the reasons mentioned in the podcast, but also that their unwavering support goes against type in a movie like this. They could have EASILY made his parents disapproving of his dreams and talents and make it a framing conflict, but instead they handed that job to his brother and had them screaming and throwing devil horns at his gigs. They are his biggest fans and I love it. I am bummed that they disappear after his Steel Dragon debut.

The parents really kind of break the mold for me, but otherwise this movie seemed to be hella informed (derivative) of a few other films -

1 - Boogie Nights (1997) - Mark Walberg plays a sexy kid with an unappreciated talent who meets the right people and has a rise and fall from fame. Parent Approval Scale: Joanna Gleason plays his nightmare mother.

2 - Almost Famous (2000) - An inside look into the inner workings of a rock band and their groupies and lifestyle. Parent Approval Scale: Francis McDormant plays a very unapproving mother

3 - Wayne's World (1992) - Hometown guys, obsessed with rock music, rise to fame while falling in love. Parent Approval Scale: No parents - these dudes are 40!

There might be more.

• Like 3

600x600.jpg

Is he in the slideshow? Boosh!

• Like 1

Okay, I tried tempering it, but I've got so much to get out about this movie, but there are plenty of little references to things that occured in the world of metal music.

- When Chris was going into his audition, they were staring at a Bobby Beers tour outfit, that's a nod to Judas Priest, as Rob Halford would wear outfits like that. He's credited for introducing the "Metal Uniform" with the leather, studs, spikes and chains, most of which he got when he visited S&M shops in Soho, London. One particular store he would visit was "Mr. S. Leather".

- Even though the story is based upon Tim "Ripper" Owens joining Judas Priest, the story itself seems to follow more closely to Jason Newsted joining Metallica. Newsted was a Metallica superfan who idolized their bassist, Cliff Burton. When Burton died, Newsted ended up joining his favourite band, and eventually left (albeit after 14 years, and not the 1 that Chris was in the band), because he wasn't able to add much creatively, as Metallica's frontman, and drummer (James Hetfield, and Lars Ulrich), wrote the songs, and it was Newsted's job to play what they wrote. Kirk Cuddy even plays the same guitar as James Hetfield, and both serve as rhythm guitar in their respective bands.

- The press conference Steel Dragon hold to introduce Chris is in the same place as Spinal Tap's

- The guy who auditioned before Chris went on to become the frontman of Steel Panther

- When Tim Spall said that MTV "don't play the lad's music as much after they trashed their studio" is a reference to Guns N' Roses trashing the studio for MTV's Headbangers Ball.

- The tattoos on Steel Dragon's lead guitarist, Ghode, (played by Zakk Wylde) are the logo for Wylde's band, Black Label Society.

- Noted rock/metal musicians who appear in the movie include:

• Jason Bonham, who played Steel Dragon's drummer, has played for Foreigner, UFO and appeared in VH1's 'Supergroup' and is the son of Led Zeppelin's John Bonham.
  • Jeff Pilson, who was Steel Dragon's bassist, was also in Foreigner as well as playing for Ronnie James Dio, and Dokken.
  • Nick Catanese (Mark Wahlberg's lead guitarist in his tribute band) was in Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society
  • Zakk Wylde is the frontman of Black Label Society, Pride & Glory. and has solo albums to his name too, as well as being the guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne, and was also tapped to replace Slash in Guns N Roses but turned them down.
  • Myles Kennedy, who was Mike/Thor at the end of the movie, went on to become the lead singer of Alter Bridge (that band that was Creed, but then told Scott Stapp to go fuck himself)
  • Stephan Jenkins, the other Steel Dragon tribute singer, was the frontman for Third Eye Blind

Yeah I was surprised by the number of actual 80s-90s rockers in this film, and I have to assume some of the extravagance/debauchery was based on their lives. Since this film is based somewhat on the story of "Ripper" Owens in that it's about a guy who was in a cover band and ends up playing in the band he idolized, but everything else is basically every "Behind the Music" episode ever, it's amazing that none of the musicians stopped and said 'hey, not even Motley Crue went through this much shit.'

Also in a Mandela Effect moment for me, I could have sworn it was Paul Bettany in the role of Beers, not Jason Flemyng.

Yeah I was surprised by the number of actual 80s-90s rockers in this film, and I have to assume some of the extravagance/debauchery was based on their lives. Since this film is based somewhat on the story of "Ripper" Owens in that it's about a guy who was in a cover band and ends up playing in the band he idolized, but everything else is basically every "Behind the Music" episode ever, it's amazing that none of the musicians stopped and said 'hey, not even Motley Crue went through this much shit.'

Also in a Mandela Effect moment for me, I could have sworn it was Paul Bettany in the role of Beers, not Jason Flemyng.

Jason Flemyng's performace in the movie was really good. His delivery of "Kim's a guy?!" when he was mocking Mark Wahlberg was absolutely perfect, I don't know why I found it funny, just hit the right note with me.

Did anyone else see the subtle foreshadowing of the end of the glam metal fad when Mark Wahlberg said "What's happening in Seattle?"

• Like 2

What's that? Is there a Zakk Wylde song that has a slight hint of country music? Why, of course! Not just one song, a whole album!

The Zakk Wylde Train rolls on!

I found it bizarre that Steel Dragon wasn't actually from Pittsburgh. If anything, the city was known as the steel city, especially up until the 80's. The football team is the Steelers. And the town boasts not one, but two tribute bands? But nope, I guess they're British!

• Like 3

I don't think we've talked at all about how managing Steel Dragon is killing Mats. Jason says that the most obvious Jacob's Ladder Scenario is for Chris Cole to die when he falls down the stairs, but I think a case could be made that Mats is actually the one who dies.

For starters, Mats has a whole portable ICU following him around on tour so he can have some kind of full body transfusion, apparently on a regular basis, so he can stay alive even while he destroys himself via rock'n'roll. And it's really after the moment when Chris sees Mats in this condition that the two of them become chummy and start hanging out together a lot. Mats becomes a mentor of sorts and shepherds Chris into the new life he's found himself living.

But Mats also has a few interesting, revelatory lines, like when he tells Chris something like "Your job is to live the fantasy that other people can't." He also has a couple of lines lamenting the "party all the time" nature of the glam metal scene.

Also, when he tells the story about how he left his wife, he claims that what motivated him to do so was a fear that his life had somehow been all planned out for him and that he'd spend his life working for someone else, worrying over things that don't matter. And he's clearly pretty listless and limited in his capacity as manager, fretting over the band's nonsense, so it might seem to him that managing a rock band turned into just the kind of job he didn't want. Who's to say Mats doesn't identify a little bit of that lost optimistic youth in Chris?

hqdefault.jpg

Plus, he both pines over the family his ex-wife builds after he leaves and watches the deterioration of Chris' relationship with Emily.

My JLS theory is that, as he slowly expires during one of his life-extending procedures (maybe even the one we see), he attaches to Chris Cole and plays out a proxy fantasy about a young, idealist rockstar who grows jaded with the artificiality of the hair metal lifestyle, leaving it behind for a more authentic existence where he stays with the first love and pursues grunge music realness ... a life where he really did carve his own path. He has Chris "live the fantasy that other people can't."

• Like 3