🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 182 - Rock Star: LIVE!

It's weird, the only real "good guy" in the movie is Timothy Olyphant's character "Rob".

When Chris is in the tribute band, he's a dick to everybody else. Even chastising Rob because his pinch harmonic wasn't good enough, despite it sounding the same as it was on the tape. Then when they have their concert, it's Chris who spoils everything because Rob isn't playing the song EXACTLY as it was originally recorded, going as far as to break Rob's Marshall stack, those things aren't cheap. Even when he's kicking him out of the band, Rob is saying "I love you, but you're going mental with this"

Then, when Chris joins Steel Dragon, Rob seems genuinely happy for him, not many people would be so charitable in that situation, considering they had a falling out the last time they saw each other.

Then, after everything is said and done, Rob's still willing to start another band with Chris.

Every other major character in the film isn't a good person.

• Like 1

Alright, Smigg, here you go. I'd say you've earned it:

18fnSzS.gif

A Metalocalypse Banana Sticker?! Okay, we've become good friends.

• Like 2

A Metalocalypse Banana Sticker?! Okay, we've become good friends.

You're good at Rock Talk. Although, I mean, you can just buy psychological validation ...

• Like 3

You're good at Rock Talk. Although, I mean, you can just buy psychological validation ...

"I buys myselfs a solid gold telephone!"

• Like 3

Did anyone else see the subtle foreshadowing of the end of the glam metal fad when Mark Wahlberg said "What's happening in Seattle?"

This had all the subtle foreshadowing of the Shanghai movies with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. They might as well have had Marky Mark give a pep talk to a young stage hand and have him asking his name before the kid walks off, and he says Kurt.

It's weird, the only real "good guy" in the movie is Timothy Olyphant's character "Rob".

When Chris is in the tribute band, he's a dick to everybody else. Even chastising Rob because his pinch harmonic wasn't good enough, despite it sounding the same as it was on the tape. Then when they have their concert, it's Chris who spoils everything because Rob isn't playing the song EXACTLY as it was originally recorded, going as far as to break Rob's Marshall stack, those things aren't cheap. Even when he's kicking him out of the band, Rob is saying "I love you, but you're going mental with this"

Then, when Chris joins Steel Dragon, Rob seems genuinely happy for him, not many people would be so charitable in that situation, considering they had a falling out the last time they saw each other.

Then, after everything is said and done, Rob's still willing to start another band with Chris.

Every other major character in the film isn't a good person.

Wouldn't you make a 180 if you're new lead singer was the singer from Third Eye Blind?

• Like 2

Wouldn't you make a 180 if you're new lead singer was the singer from Third Eye Blind?

If the filmmakers were on their game, they would have started playing "Jumper" right about there.

"Wish you could step back from that ledge, my friend."

I dunno, I quite liked Semi-Charmed Life.

• Like 1

Fun fact about Zakk Wylde, he's good friends with WWE legend, Stone Cold Steve Austin. However, Zakk's wife, Barbara-Anne, banned the pair from drinking when they're together, because Steve is a bad influence on Zakk, and the pair always got absolutely shit faced when they were together.

I just really hated this movie. It should have ended with Chris finding out Emily found not-Starbucks-Starbucks happiness in Seattle with Rob.

• Like 1

I just really hated this movie. It should have ended with Chris finding out Emily found not-Starbucks-Starbucks happiness in Seattle with Rob.

What was Rob doing in Seatlle? The guy's from Pittsburgh, and he just happens to bump into his friend from home?

Maybe he always had a thing for Emily, and he found out that she was moving to Seattle so he said "Hey, I gotta go to Seattle... I got a... thing... what? Emily? I don't know an Emily... Oh, the chick who managed us? No I didn't know she was opening a coffee place there... how did I know she was opening a coffee place? Well, who doesn't drink coffee?!... I'm not being weird... YOU'RE THE STALKER!!" and just runs off.

• Like 2

Dammit. I guess I'm going to write a Second Opinion on "Rock Star". I have loved this movie forever and saw it twice in the theater on its original run, so I'm responsible for at least $15 of that $17m. I remember it vividly, because I was going through a time in my life that was fairly complicated. I lived in the same tiny town I grew up in, with my parents, was starting to play guitar, working a crappy job, and trying to figure out how to be an adult without a ton of help. I had grown up working poor and I didn't have a great sense of what my prospects were. I felt trapped and very directionless.

Because of a somewhat sheltered upbringing I had missed a ton of popular music and was sort of rebelling by working my way from the old blues musicians, through classic rock, to 80s metal, and grunge. (Lots of rap-rock on the radio at the time.) Something about the trailer for this movie captured me and I went to see it, and I cried at the end both times when Chris leaves the band. It felt like I was being given permission. I didn't have to stay in that small town like my friends from high school did; there was a bigger world out there and I could learn to be myself in it.

I love every song in this stupid movie and I still get "Stand Up and Shout" stuck in my head sometimes. I remember getting chills when Chris auditions "We All Die Young" for the band. I think the music in this movie is the best/dumbest 80s rock that was never recorded, and Steel Dragon is such a ridiculous/awesome band name that I can't believe it wasn't taken. I see all the flaws in this movie and I agree, yet I cannot prevent the idiot magic of it from causing me to bang my head, fist in the air.

• Like 5

What was Rob doing in Seatlle? The guy's from Pittsburgh, and he just happens to bump into his friend from home?

Maybe he always had a thing for Emily, and he found out that she was moving to Seattle so he said "Hey, I gotta go to Seattle... I got a... thing... what? Emily? I don't know an Emily... Oh, the chick who managed us? No I didn't know she was opening a coffee place there... how did I know she was opening a coffee place? Well, who doesn't drink coffee?!... I'm not being weird... YOU'RE THE STALKER!!" and just runs off.

Emily's roommate was going into business with her and she was dating Rob... I don't remember her name, but to be fair neither did Chris when he was all blitzed on rock star fame.

• Like 2

I don’t think I have anything to add to this discussion. The movie was more “dumb and boring” than “crazy and insane.” However, I thought I’d throw this question out to the forum.

What band do you feel the most confident that you could to replace a member?

For me, maybe, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, or Barenaked Ladies.

ETA: TMBG might be too good of musicians actually...

• Like 4

Emily's roommate was going into business with her and she was dating Rob... I don't remember her name, but to be fair neither did Chris when he was all blitzed on rock star fame.

I watched this fucking movie twice and didn't even notice that Rob was dating anyone.

• Like 3

I don’t think I have anything to add to this discussion. The movie was more “dumb and boring” than “crazy and insane.” However, I thought I’d throw this question out to the forum.

For me, maybe, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, or Barenaked Ladies.

I was an adequate bass player in my day, playing thrash and some Death Metal, playing with my fingers, not a pick. So, any band with a shitty bass player.

I'm an okay singer, but I doubt I could replace anybody with my voice.

• Like 2

The batmobile in this movie is unlikely to beat Ferrari Testarosa in a race for a few reasons. The car was known to have issues even during the filming of the original run of the Batman show, it was a modified concept car that never made for racing, it had a Ford Galaxie motor, and the afterburner on it was cosmetic and didn't affect performance despite what Rock Star portrays.

The original batmobile was, I believe, still owned by the man who made it until 2013 where it was sold at the Barrett Jackson auction. I know the made who made it, George Barris, was at the auction. So, I'm speculating he still owned it which would mean Mark Wahlburg's character didn't own out on the 1980s.

• Like 1

Hey Black Panther fans, Amazon is having a huge sale on digital editions of Ta-Nehisi Coates’ run. The first trade is a whopping ZERO dollars! (I’m afraid you’ll have to pay 0.99 each for the next two trades :) )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JT4A2DW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518996936&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=black+panther+tanehisi+coates

(If Earwolf still has a link to Amazon you should use that, though)

• Like 4

1. This movie reminds me of a time my buddy dressed as Prince when he went to see Prince in concert. Prince saw him and pulled him up on-stage to sing "Kiss." He never took Prince's place or anything but still ... cool story.

2. My parents were (eventually) pretty supportive of music, kinda like Chris' folks. They came to gigs early on whenever they weren't late at night in some smoky bar somewhere. They're divorced now but they still each come out every now and then, at least when it's an especially cool gig.

3. Okay, this might seem random to most of you, but I can sing the shit out of Blind Melon. I honestly think I could do better than the guy that actually replaced Shannon Hoon. Stone Temple Pilots just got a new frontman, too. They're coming through town soon so I'll reserve judgment, but I can kill some STP, too.

• Like 5

Y'all this movie spoke to me. I loved it. Seriously... I missed it when it came out and I would have been so into it, the fact that it's bad (and it is) wouldn't have mattered.

I can't help but thinking how there is a small hidden relevance in this movie: Cosplay.

Cosplay is intensely popular right now as many of you know and perhaps experience first hand. The act of crafting costumes, wigs, and makeup for these people is a true art form and some of them are seriously talented. That is exactly what Chris Cole was doing, but way before it was fashionable (outside of Trekkie conventions?) It hasn't been until the last decade that cosplay has gone mega mainstream. Accuracy is paramount, which is exactly Chris's #1 concern through the first act of this film. He's a cosplay trailblazer.

Is there a "RockCon"? Too bad I don't have a magic machine that I could ask and could tell me.

• Like 4

I watched this fucking movie twice and didn't even notice that Rob was dating anyone.

I just found a clip. Her roomate's name is Marcy. During the nipple piercing scene Chris asks Emily "Where's Marcy?" and she says she is out with Rob seeing Wham! Later Emily tells Chris she is meeting Marcy in Seattle to start a new business.

Marcy is never onscreen. She's a "Bob Sacamano."

• Like 3

For starters, Mats has a whole portable ICU following him around on tour so he can have some kind of full body transfusion, apparently on a regular basis, so he can stay alive even while he destroys himself via rock'n'roll. And it's really after the moment when Chris sees Mats in this condition that the two of them become chummy and start hanging out together a lot. Mats becomes a mentor of sorts and shepherds Chris into the new life he's found himself living.

That wasn't Mats. I believe if was AC (or one of the other band members). I actually rewound this part, because I couldn't believe he was on liver dialysis on the road. Unlike the more common kidney dialysis, liver dialysis isn't something patients need regularly for years, as it is usually needed by patients with liver failure waiting for transplants. This guy should've been in a hospital, not chugging back hard liquor after a show.

• Like 3

3. Okay, this might seem random to most of you, but I can sing the shit out of Blind Melon. I honestly think I could do better than the guy that actually replaced Shannon Hoon. Stone Temple Pilots just got a new frontman, too. They're coming through town soon so I'll reserve judgment, but I can kill some STP, too.

You should get up to the stage and sing over him. Maybe they'll fire him and hire you on the spot. Choose your moment, though. The temptation would be to sing over something like "Inter State Love song," but you should really wait for "Dead & Bloated."

• Like 3

Which part of Shannon Hoon could you best replicate? The falsetto or urinating on the fans in the front row?

Blind Melon was an underrated band. Yes, they borrowed heavily from the 1960s and 1970s but they still managed to have a fairly unique sound and they had some interesting songs. Change in particular. I forgot that they had rebooted with a new lead singer. From the same era, I remember Sublime rebooting a bunch of times and having some success in one of their incarnations. Still didn't care for the new stuff, though.

(as Cameron H knows, I do not care for your band's new stuff).

• Like 4

I thought I didn't have any more to talk about with this movie, but I really want to talk about how it should be a crime to use Timothy Olyphant that little in a movie.

Also bless you Jen for cutting off his underwear so we get a look at that top butt.

• Like 3