🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) and Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang! Bang!) come together once again as superfan Adam Scott Aukerman–but this time to discuss the music and impact of the band R.E.M. In this first episode, Scott and Scott share how they initially encountered the music of R.E.M. before launching into a track-by-track breakdown of the group’s first EP, Chronic Town.

• Like 5

I really hope they have Paul F. Tompkins on as a guest so we can hear all about when the first time was that heard of the band REM.

• Like 8

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH ALREADY

I need a "Stip& & Peter $ & Miller & $Berry" t-shirt too plz

• Like 1

<hifi nerd>

The Metal Type IV Cassettes (chrome instead of the regular iron oxide) supposedly had stronger high end, stronger low end, and less noise - and would wear the tape heads down much quicker than your normal iron oxide tape.

The Mobile Fidelity Gold CDs are less about the gold disc (less corrosive gold vs normal aluminium) and more about the specific master being designed for maximum dynamic range (quieter is quieter, so that the loud shit can be fucking loud).

</hifi nerd>

• Like 2

also I love REM a lot and have since about 1991 when my family got our first CD player and it came with a free CD version of Out Of Time. I was into U2 back then too but that's faded, but REM is still there -- I still play their stuff a lot. they do have definite eras which should make this podcast fun: early spirited mysterious jangley rock for the first few albums, then they went slightly more mainstream (though granted, a strange mainstream) for a bit. then they started rocking and that was great too. then they became a trio and made some bland stuff, though some great gems are buried in there for sure. their career is fascinating and weird and definitely discussion-worthy.

(also I'll add, I'm a band fan who LIKES hearing The Scotts discuss bands I like; we don't get enough credit - it's always 'the band fans hate us' and 'comedy fans like us'.)

I do think they could try to get Mike Mills on the pcast: he's active on twitter and super cool.

• Like 3

I was a big enough fan of U2 to have listened to every single one of their albums before UTU2TM existed. Not to brag, but I knew a thing or two about U2.

I barely know REM. Maybe ten songs. Not even the band member names. I am extremely excited for this!

• Like 2

We need Todd Glass on the "New Adventures of Hi Fi" episode where we delve even deeper into his love for Reverb, P.A., and background drummers

• Like 4

What part do you think was more infuriating for uninitiated REM fans, listing the band members or the run of sub-podcasts?

• Like 1

This is good news! I was hoping for U Talking Heads 2 Me, to be perfectly honest, but I'd listen to the Scotts talk about Puddle of Mudd if they wanted to.

• Like 2

The Hib-Tone version of "Radio Free Europe" is far superior, no doubt. So stoked to hear you guys talk about the I.R.S. years.

• Like 3

Missed opportunity to not have a monetary thread and name him Mike Millions (assuming Stipe& = stipend).

• Like 2

This is beyond excellent. It has been a shit ass week and seeing this start to download was a very pleasant surprise.

I really enjoyed the stories of growing up and how you heard things at the time - 10 in 1980 and getting FM, amazing. I was 4 in 1979 and can remember "My Sharona" on AM radio -- mom leaving the blue 76 station wagon in the driveway the extra minutes to hear the whole song.

Adam pronouncing "Pass the Dutchie" as "doochie" was also amazing.

• Like 1

Oh my god FINALLY I never thought I'd live to see the day where I got to learn the names of the members of REM!!

I believe you mean "Hariem".

We truly live in blessed times. It's a joy to have this podcast in my life. Can't wait for me.

Also loving that because I know very little about R.E.M., I got to the end of this episode legitimately not actually knowing the band member names.