🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 183 - Ladybugs: LIVE!

Remember, kids: NOBODY COCKFLAPS IN THE MENS ROOM!

You dont? Weirdo.

• Like 6

i've been saying this for about 2 years. i think paul has some sort of block on the year 1981. whenever i bring it up people always come back with caveman. it's on youtube. it looks horrible.

my numbers are different to yours though. i guess this is the difference between wikipedia and imdb. i tried to take the USA release date as much as possible too. and no doubt i got a few wrong. but 1981 is definitely starting to trigger some OCD feelings in me.

I'm sure your spreadsheet is more accurate than my notes written on scrap paper while I watched tv. I used wikipedia because it was easier on my phone than using imdb forcing me to switch back and forth between apps. imdb is certainly a bigger stickler on release dates than wikipedia. I'll check my results against yours when I get home because there's a bigger discrepancy on some years than just a movie with a late release date.

We are both consistent on 1981 though. So, I think they should try to get something from that year.

I'm sure your spreadsheet is more accurate than my notes written on scrap paper while I watched tv. I used wikipedia because it was easier on my phone than using imdb forcing me to switch back and forth between apps. imdb is certainly a bigger stickler on release dates than wikipedia. I'll check my results against yours when I get home because there's a bigger discrepancy on some years than just a movie with a late release date.

We are both consistent on 1981 though. So, I think they should try to get something from that year.

ah don't worry about it ... i'm not going back through mine either. gotta get that 1981 movie sorted though

I have a some possible suggestions for 1981: Nobody's Perfekt, Going Ape, Carbon Copy and Heartbeeps.

Mommie Dearest? I mean, for pure batshittery it's hard to beat.

• Like 1

Carbon Copy and Heartbeeps both look amazingly bad.

Heartbeeps would be a good one to do...it's WTF from beginning to end. I recall Carbon Copy being abhorrent (even seeing it as a kid in the 80s)...might be too depressing to dissect on the show, haha.

I recommend Chevy Chase's two 1981 entries: Under The Rainbow and Modern Problems. Both will leave you asking "WHY?!"

ah don't worry about it ... i'm not going back through mine either. gotta get that 1981 movie sorted though

But I'm a nerd and I have already started this project.

i've been saying this for about 2 years. i think paul has some sort of block on the year 1981. whenever i bring it up people always come back with caveman. it's on youtube. it looks horrible.

my numbers are different to yours though. i guess this is the difference between wikipedia and imdb. i tried to take the USA release date as much as possible too. and no doubt i got a few wrong. but 1981 is definitely starting to trigger some OCD feelings in me.

It looks like we both had some mistakes in there and neither of our year counts were correct. There are a couple movies with hard to nail down release dates due to limited releases in festivals, video only releases, etc. I decided to go for first showing/availability of any kind in the USA. So, I believe this is now the final list but will welcome any corrections.

5 movies: 1993, 1994, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2013

6 movies: 1986, 1989, 1992, 2003, 2006, 2010

7 movies: 1985, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1995, 2012

8 movies: No years

9 movies: 1996, 1997, 2011

One interesting side note is that the movie Dragonheart was announced in a minisode but they pulled an audible with The Boy Next Door. If we count Dragonheart as an HDTGM movie, 1996 has 10 movies. 1981 is still a year without an HDTGM movie though.

• Like 2

Guys I just noticed this in the finale game scene:

PQw9MlM.jpg

Could this be his trailer?

• Like 3

For me the most interesting thing about watching this movie is that both Jackee and Rodney Dangerfield seem the have the same acting style. Both really like to gesticulate with their arms while speaking. However, they don't really move their arms as much as they move their forearms while keeping their upper arms firmly at their sides.

• Like 4

5 movies: 1993, 1994, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2013

6 movies: 1986, 1989, 1992, 2003, 2006, 2010

7 movies: 1985, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1995, 2012

8 movies: No years

One interesting side note is that the movie Dragonheart was announced in a minisode but they pulled an audible with The Boy Next Door. If we count Dragonheart as an HDTGM movie, 1996 has 10 movies. 1981 is still a year without an HDTGM movie though.

i'll put this behind spoiler so i don't take up so much screen time:

here's my new count. i found a few errors and a few conflicting release dates. not sure where we are differing but it's probably regions or an error on wikipedia.

1 movie: 1969, 1974, 1978, 2004, 2005, 2016

2 movies: 1982, 1990, 2002

3 movies: 1983, 1984, 1998, 2000, 2007, 2014, 2017

4 movies: 1980, 1990. 2001, 2008, 2015

5 movies: 1993, 1994, 2009

6 movies: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2013

7 movies: 1985, 1987, 1991, 1994, 2012

8 movies: None

• Like 1

Were there shows in the early 90's that just showed girls in large underwear from behind? Certainly Chester didn't even consider Matthew's show to be worth noting (unless he couldn't think of a creepy enough joke).

i'll put this behind spoiler so i don't take up so much screen time:

here's my new count. i found a few errors and a few conflicting release dates. not sure where we are differing but it's probably regions or an error on wikipedia.

1 movie: 1969, 1974, 1978, 2004, 2005, 2016

2 movies: 1982, 1990, 2002

4 movies: 1980, 1990. 2001, 2008, 2015

5 movies: 1993, 1994, 2009

6 movies: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2013

7 movies: 1985, 1987, 1991, 1994, 2012

8 movies: None

I'm definitely not running through my numbers again. Since we agree on 1981 and the top 3 years, let's just say that's good enough.

A couple things about this movie related specifically to my childhood.

1. My best friend lived at this intersection.

1Bmaqq6.png

2. I vividly remember the marketing for Ladybugs was definitely geared toward kids. A local pizzeria similar to Chuck E. Cheese/ShowBiz for a slightly older audience had a meet and greet with, I believe, Jonathan Brandis. I did not attend, but I vividly remember them having hand drawn posters advertising it when I went the week before the event. I wanted to go because it meant meeting a movie star. But I also knew my parents weren't going to take me to this place twice in one month and I never asked.

• Like 4

Oh man, I have so many thoughts on this, but first of all:

Let's add this to the long list of "movies by screenwriters who don't seem to realize why people wear eyeglasses." The final soccer match has a lot of problems, but can anyone help me understand why Penny removing her glasses, AND letting down her hair so it flaps in her face as she runs, is supposed to make her better at soccer? I would think that not being able to see the ball would make you worse at the game.

Another HDTGM movie to add to this list would be Can't Stop the Music, in which Valerie Perrine loses her contact lenses before hosting a party, and then . . . nothing happens. But at least that movie doesn't try to suggest she'd become BETTER at anything because she's visually impaired.

• Like 5

My favorite contrivance in the movie was the couple who got knocked over by one of Kimberly's wild (yet wildly accurate) kicks..because who among us doesn't love a relaxing bicycle ride through the grass of an athletic field.

• Like 1

Well it seems like it's been forever, mainly because it has, but it is that time again for another exciting episode of...

How Did This Get Named?

Now after the long wait of similarly titled movies comes Ladybugs which gives us a good old two for one. That is to say this movie was re-released and renamed. So I've talked about before about the problems of marketing some of these movies for a foreign market. How can you take stars people don't know and ideas people don't know and make people want to see them? Well luckily Rodney Dangerfield was a not a well known name here in Japan so the first strategy was to market this movie as a romantic comedy. It was call 恋のレディ&レディ?Koi no Redi & Redi? or Ladylove & Lady?

801101_01.jpg

The first thing we notice here is the complete lack of Rodney Dangerfield. In fact at the top it says "Starring Jonathan Brandis" and in very fine print along the bottom is Rodney. Next we come to the horribly photoshopped head of Jonathan Brandis where Rodney Dangerfield's is on the American posters and covers. If you were to hear this title and see this poster you'd assume it's some sort of teen love story and boy would you be confused. Well, that's must have been what happened because when the movie was released again for the home video market they decided to do some rebranding. In came Rodney Dangerfield and the title was changed to reflect the soccer theme. For home video we got 恋のキック・オフ Koi no Kikku Offu or Kick Off of Love

201304090758239ea.gif

Gone is the attempts to make it look like a cross dressing love story and rather a romantic sports film. Even the tagline has changed. In the first it was "For you I'd become a woman" while in the second it is "Yellow card! Players in drag are not allowed!" Now the second tagline makes no sense because there is no allusion to drag anywhere unlike in the original title and if you think about it is slightly implying that Martha is in drag from the picture above. In either case it didn't seem to work because the movie seems largely forgotten here with one review I found noting "I saw this on TV and watched it. It looked cheap."

• Like 8

Two omissions:

I have never seen people announce that they're getting off an elevator in real life, on tv, or in a movie. Is that a thing people do? Why include that in the movie? Those men don't even need to be in the scene much less have a line! And a line as pointless as "getting off!"? I was expecting Dangerfield to make a jacking off joke, but nothing. They just have to move out of the way and stop their conversation over and over again. Very strange.

Also the fancy meal that Brandis fantasizes about is two plain hamburgers? Did Rodney take home all the other food?

The elevator thing struck me as really odd too! It totally deserved some kind of payoff with that many people saying "getting off" over and over.

Fantastic episode!

Of course the skinny dipping scene is insane, but the craziest part has to be the fact that Matthew got naked himself! I mean, if his plan is to avoid the rest of the team until he can get a ride, why can't he do that fully clothed? It's not like the girls ripped the clothes off his back, and as far as I know, being naked doesn't help you hide better. The fact of the matter is, that little pervert made a choice.

Was he just like, "Fuck it. If Chesterfield doesn't get here in time, I'm going swimming and let the chips fall where they may..."

• Like 6

What other movie was done from 2017 besides Valerian and Fate of the Furious?

I need to say two things about the latest episode:

1) Jason got so close to mentioning something that bothered me but didn't quite make it there: So at the last game in the movie, where the boss refuses to let his daughter play because he thinks she sucks, if that's the case then why are the parents even at the game? To watch everyone else play but their own kid? I know it may pale in comparison to so many other nonsense issues in the movie but that drove me crazy.

2) I'm fairly certain that one of the 5-Star Second Opinions was written by a bot, because why would anyone give the movie 5 stars while also calling the plot horrible? The sentences also seemed very generic. I hope Paul wasn't tricked by a computer!

• Like 3

Fantastic episode!

Of course the skinny dipping scene is insane, but the craziest part has to be the fact that Matthew got naked himself! I mean, if his plan is to avoid the rest of the team until he can get a ride, why can't he do that fully clothed? It's not like the girls ripped the clothes off his back, and as far as I know, being naked doesn't help you hide better. The fact of the matter is, that little pervert made a choice.

Was he just like, "Fuck it. If Chesterfield doesn't get here in time, I'm going swimming and let the chips fall where they may..."

That is a fantastic point but here is what makes things even more complicated. Matthew phones Chester and is like "The girls want to go skinny dipping and I'm going to get found out, but I can't leave until my mom gets here so get here right now!" So does Chester rush to his aid not only saving him but himself? Nope. He goes and gets a dress. Well first he has to drop Bess off at home. Maybe she had a hat and veil, maybe not. Now Bess is clearly smaller clothing size wise than Chester, so it's not like he can simply just grab one of her dresses and put it on. This means that he either a) went and quickly bought a dress or b ) already owned a dress. In either case this is taking up so much time meanwhile Matthew is being hunted by these skinny dipping mad girls while the parental supervision is having an affair with a volleyball coach. Chester could have simply driven to the house and said "Oh hey, it's me Coach Chester. Martha's mom is busy at work and asked if I could pick her up." Problem solved in no time. I bet he was just looking for an excuse to wear that dress he secretly owned.

• Like 8

Fantastic episode!

Good point... I'm also surprised they didn't touch on the scene where Matthew reveals to the girl that he's actually a boy, where he pulls her into either a room or a closet (I can't remember) and then because of the scream you hear I'm guessing he just whips his dick out? It that not a crime maybe? I mean maybe not completely at his age but was there not a better way to revealing that?

• Like 1

I may be the only one, but one of the things about this movie that infuriated me was how they would keep objectively terrible players on the field instead of pulling someone from the bench. I know you have a crush on her and all, but she just kicked that ball ludicrously out of bounds. She really needs to go. How does Chester even begin to explain to those poor girls why they can't play while literal piles of garbage are on the field fucking up their chance at the Championship? All those girls want is to get out there on the pitch and be given one chance. Just one chance. "Oh, you don't want to hurt her feelings, what about my feelings coach? I can at least keep the ball inbound. I could win this shit for us."

• Like 2