🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 33 Preview (The_Triple_Lindy’s 1st Pick)

Just FYI, your name being The Triple Lindy, it doesn't mean you get three picks. Just one.

ETA: This go-round of course.

• Like 3

original.gif

The fingers are great enough but then he looks around. I love it!

• Like 3

Just so everyone knows, I've been in appropriate agony about this since last week. I've been a bit of Grinch when it comes to musicals most of my life, but I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in these discussions, as you guys have turned me on to movies I wouldn't have otherwise bothered to watch. Therefore, I am woefully uninformed about musicals, yet desperately want to avoid derailing this weekly tradition by picking garbage.

I've been torn by this decision. On one hand, some of my favorite movies are about bands, like Spinal Tap and Tenacious D, though they're not "musicals" in the traditional sense, but several "story of the band" or "portrait of the artist" movies have come up lately, both in Musical Mondays and HDTGM. Also, I'm entering month 3 of my DLM challenge and thought about picking something blind in order to kill two birds with one stone.

But as I've pondered this, one movie kept coming to mind. This movie is one I encountered in my childhood, in the days of VHS ... somewhere in my attic, I still have a well-loved copy of this made-for-TV movie, featuring all of the original commercials, with my grandmother's handwriting on the peel-and-stick "Maxwell" labels. This is certainly not my favorite movie -- not even really my favorite musical -- but it has left an indelible mark on my memories of childhood. It's a story that everyone knows, with every role (save for the title role) being played by the most familiar faces of mid-1980s celebrity.

I give you ...

MV5BMTc3MzcyMzA3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzcwMzMzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

This is, specifically, the two-part 1985 made-for-TV version, which is available, in its full glory,

FYI, I am open to the idea of watching only the first half or the second. But the whole thing is really worth it, just to see some of the biggest and most-iconic celebrities ever wearing the silliest costumes imaginable.

• Like 4

Just so everyone knows, I've been in appropriate agony about this since last week. I've been a bit of Grinch when it comes to musicals most of my life, but I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in these discussions, as you guys have turned me on to movies I wouldn't have otherwise bothered to watch. Therefore, I am woefully uninformed about musicals, yet desperately want to avoid derailing this weekly tradition by picking garbage.

I've been torn by this decision. On one hand, some of my favorite movies are about bands, like Spinal Tap and Tenacious D, though they're not "musicals" in the traditional sense, but several "story of the band" or "portrait of the artist" movies have come up lately, both in Musical Mondays and HDTGM. Also, I'm entering month 3 of my DLM challenge and thought about picking something blind in order to kill two birds with one stone.

But as I've pondered this, one movie kept coming to mind. This movie is one I encountered in my childhood, in the days of VHS ... somewhere in my attic, I still have a well-loved copy of this made-for-TV movie, featuring all of the original commercials, with my grandmother's handwriting on the peel-and-stick "Maxwell" labels. This is certainly not my favorite movie -- not even really my favorite musical -- but it has left an indelible mark on my memories of childhood. It's a story that everyone knows, with every role (save for the title role) being played by the most familiar faces of mid-1980s celebrity.

I give you ...

This is, specifically, the two-part 1985 made-for-TV version, which is available, in its full glory,

FYI, I am open to the idea of watching only the first half or the second. But the whole thing is really worth it, just to see some of the biggest and most-iconic celebrities ever wearing the silliest costumes imaginable.

I love this movie! ((This is the one with Sammy Davis Jr as the caterpillar, right?)

• Like 2

Just FYI, your name being The Triple Lindy, it doesn't mean you get three picks. Just one.

ETA: This go-round of course.

I cheated a bit to get two picks in one ... just call me The_Double_Lindy.

Although, after Ladybugs, I'm thinking that I might need a new avatar. Patron St. Dangerfield took a black eye in that one.

I love this movie! ((This is the one with Sammy Davis Jr as the caterpillar, right?)

The very same! This movie is the reason I still have most of "You Are Old, Father William" memorized.

• Like 3

The very same! This movie is the reason I still have most of "You Are Old, Father William" memorized.

It’s been in my head since you announced it!

No joke, this is my favorite version of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass.

• Like 3

I give you ...

Your link starts at 49 minutes. Does that mean we don't have to watch minutes 1-48? :rolleyes:

I know it's the wrong version of the movie, but I can't resist putting up this very strange mashup (using tracks extracted exclusively from the Disney animated movie).

• Like 3

This will be interesting to watch. I know Is large chunks of this as a kid, but I'm not sure I've seen all of it. I remember thinking it was weird as a kid and had to be told who a lot of the people were. It will be strange now that I'll recognize the stars.

• Like 3

This is something I swear we had recorded off TV that I watched as a kid but have only the faintest memory of. I think I remember a scene with the Jabberwocky and that's about it.

• Like 3

It’s been in my head since you announced it!

No joke, this is my favorite version of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass.

The one that always pops into my head is "Jam Tomorrow, Jam Yesterday ..."

Your link starts at 49 minutes. Does that mean we don't have to watch minutes 1-48? :rolleyes:

I don't even know how I did that, so no.

This is something I swear we had recorded off TV that I watched as a kid but have only the faintest memory of. I think I remember a scene with the Jabberwocky and that's about it.

That's the very one!

• Like 4

I don't even know how I did that, so no.

It's no big deal. I was just poking fun. You probably hit pause on the page then copied the link or picked Share. It adds a piece to the end of the link telling it where to start playing at (for players that can do that - not all will).

In the below link the "&t=2980s" tells it to start at 2,980 seconds in or 49m40s. If you ever want to add that to a link that doesn't have one you can before sending it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKkv3pAJ0x0&t=2980s

• Like 2

It's no big deal. I was just poking fun. You probably hit pause on the page then copied the link or picked Share. It adds a piece to the end of the link telling it where to start playing at (for players that can do that - not all will).

In the below link the "&t=2980s" tells it to start at 2,980 seconds in or 49m40s. If you ever want to add that to a link that doesn't have one you can before sending it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKkv3pAJ0x0&t=2980s

The funny thing is that, when I actually try to do that, it never works.

• Like 1

The funny thing is that, when I actually try to do that, it never works.

60451607.jpg