๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 184 - Johnny Mnemonic: LIVE!

The behind the scenes info I want to know about is Spider's Black Flag tattoo on the back of his neck. Did Rollins make an impassioned plea that his character Spider is definitely the kind of guy who would be so into a hardcore punk band from 35 years prior that he'd have the tattoo? Or did the director just not notice?

ย 

The obvious answer is that they were too lazy to cover Rollins' tattoo.

ย 

Speaking of which...

ย 

rollins-band-promo-1rbmo-e1423842110114.jpg

ย 

The reference is too literal, right? Right?

• Like 4

The fact that Merriam-Webster's added 'dumpster fire' to the dictionary means we are (metaphorically at least) headed right towards the dystopian future trope that Jessica St Clair rails against.

ย 

From NPR:

ย 

"But we, as a dictionary, are not looking in real time. We are kind of a lag indicator, in financial terms," he [Merriam-Webster editor-at-large Peter Sokolowski] explains. "We are really interested in the terms that are here to stay, that we are very unlikely to ever take away from the dictionary."

ย 

https://www.npr.org/...e-to-dictionary

• Like 5

1. Jason stopping on "Info Wars" when reading the intro.

2. Jessica St. C screaming near the end when the ghost in the machine is discussed.

3. Smash Mouth is terrible. I've never liked them, and don't understand JSC's fascination.

ย 

Nice work, gang.

ย 

Also, did I miss the discussion of Johnny's negative sideburns?

ย 

johnny_mnemonic_prog_1600x900.jpg?itok=sgbo2imQ

• Like 5

ย 

2. Forget Origin Stories about these movies. Let's get Origin Stories on Zouks' and St. Clair's friendship. I knew they had been friends for quite some time. I assumed it was because they were both UCB people, but I was overjoyed to find out they went to college together. And equally overjoyed to find out about St. Clair's obsession with the Shrek 2 soundtrack. I need to know so much more about their friendship over the past couple decades.

ย 

ย 

http://www.vulture.c...y/slideshow/12/

ย 

https://improvisgood...go-out-the-ucb/

• Like 1

The behind the scenes info I want to know about is Spider's Black Flag tattoo on the back of his neck. Did Rollins make an impassioned plea that his character Spider is definitely the kind of guy who would be so into a hardcore punk band from 35 years prior that he'd have the tattoo? Or did the director just not notice?

ย 

He also has a Misfits' logo tattooed on his forearm.

ย 

0.jpg

ย 

(Sorry it's so blurry.)

• Like 3

I have a note and a question about this one.

ย 

I see that storage space was already discussed in detail, but how about internet bandwidth? According to Nielsen's Law of Internet Bandwidth, the average user's bandwidth grows by 50% per year, and this has been going on consistently since at least 1983. In 2018 that speed was 300 Mbps (megabits per second), which means that in 2021 (when the movie takes place), it should be around 1 Gbps. That's download speed. Upload speed is typically around 10% of that, so 100 Mbps, which translates to 12.5 Megabytes/s.

Now, the PharmaKom boys have 320 Gigabytes to transfer.

It should take around 7 hours to transfer all their data online at that projected speed.

Surely, that is much easier than uploading the data to a human courier's head, with all the risks involved, and then putting him on a plane and sending him to the destination? Just the flight from Beijing to Newark would take around double that time...

ย 

Now, to my question (spoiler alert!): The big reveal at the end of the podcast was that the "ghost in the machine", Anna, was actually Johnny's mother. I did not get that at all... Nor do I understand how did people arrive to this conclusion. It doesn't seem to be mentioned by anyone in the movie itself (or did I miss it? I kind of zoned-out by the end), and all I could find was a 2-seconds clip in the last flashback where the camera pans upwards towards Johnny's mother, but she doesn't look anything like the profile picture of Anna Kalmann, the founder of PharmaKon. Am I missing something here?

Here are the two screenshots I took of these women:

Anna Kalmann's profile photo

Johnny's mother's from a weird angle

ย 

EDIT: Sorry, I made a mistake in my calculation. It's actually 7 hours, not one minute, as I originally wrote. I think it's still easier, faster, cheaper and more reliable to transfer the data online than inside some guy's head.

Edited by DrGonzo
  • Like 2

So Jason asked for someone to make a cut of the scene where Johnny put on the googles and add fart sounds. Well here you go.

ย 

• Like 3

Ice-T did some selective rememberin' in that interview that Paul excerpted.

ย 

He definitely wasn't above the title in his first two movies:

ย 

ย 

ย 

MV5BMDQxNjdlMjctZjRiYi00ODdjLTg4ZTctMTdiNDdlNjk2NjIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SX642_CR0,0,642,999_AL_.jpg

ย 

ย 

MV5BNGMwNGI0NzAtY2U1Zi00MTI3LTk2NWQtMTU0ZmQ3OGZmMjc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

ย 

• Like 4

I loved this one, although I missed having June being disturbed by the dolphin's living conditions (that was a small-ass tank).

ย 

I wish they'd mentioned the last few seconds of this movie, when it gave us that fake-out Street Preacher "back to life" moment, only to have it be a pretty well-done sight gag of them removing the body. It seemed really out of place in such a humorless movie. I enjoyed this, but I was really, really glad he was actually dead, and we weren't gearing up for another showdown. You don't top "killed by a dolphin's brain."

ย 

At that point of the movie, my husband and I turned to each other and said "Finally this movie showed a little self-awareness."

Ice-T did some selective rememberin' in that interview that Paul excerpted.

ย 

He definitely wasn't above the title in his first two movies:

ย 

ย 

ย 

MV5BMDQxNjdlMjctZjRiYi00ODdjLTg4ZTctMTdiNDdlNjk2NjIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SX642_CR0,0,642,999_AL_.jpg

ย 

ย 

MV5BNGMwNGI0NzAtY2U1Zi00MTI3LTk2NWQtMTU0ZmQ3OGZmMjc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

ย 

That made me laugh so hard as I was thinking he's literally comparing himself to Sidney Poitier, one of the greatest actors ever. And this comparison is based solely on being billed above the title in consecutive movies, which means dick since any jackwagon can do that by being in a bunch of straight to video pieces of dreck or by making their own movie and starring in it.

posterc.gif

• Like 2

I miss June .. I LOVE Jessica St Clair ... but when June isn't there Jason is always extra.

• Like 3

ย 

ย 

ย 

Thanks for bringing this up. It was upsetting.

Made me think of the robot woman in "Jason in Space" who had, they said, "a haircut like a shoe."

• Like 1

ย 

Yes, Smash Mouth only had songs in the first Shrek movie, though I believe the ad campaigns for Shrek 2 did use their songs as well.

ย 

By the way, Smash Mouth are NOT happy to have their career success attributed to Shrek.

ย 

https://www.pedestri...do-not-like-it/

ย 

http://gawker.com/sm...ttle-1781910819

ย 

shreksmashmouth2-619-386.jpg

ย 

c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800.jpg

ย 

It's true, though. "All Star" was already an ubiquitous hit song before any Shrek movies came out.

ย 

ย 

I'm super late this time and I'm sure no one cares but.... for some odd reason I was obsessed with Rat Race as a kid and they make a cameo in that. I feel like they sang All Star in that as well? I could be wrong ( I probably am).

2. Jessica St. C screaming near the end when the ghost in the machine is discussed.

3. Smash Mouth is terrible. I've never liked them, and don't understand JSC's fascination.

ย 

Nice work, gang.

ย 

ย 

johnny_mnemonic_prog_1600x900.jpg?itok=sgbo2imQ

Oh god you are all far to classy to watch Real housewives (unless you do??) but this reminds me of the only one I watch (New Jersey!) one of the husbands uses colored hair spray stuff to make it look like he isn't going bald and he got in a fight with his brother in law and it got all over both of them. God Bless the messy ass Giudices and Gorgas.

• Like 1

ย 

I'll take it from here...

ย 

4. When Paul, after 166 episodes (approx. Because I think it was first mentioned by Jason in the Gigli episode IIRC) did a 180ยฐ and acknowledged that splashing water on your face helps in a stressful situation lol

ย 

5. When June remembered a bit from the "On the Line" episode with the added difficulty that she suffers from the very serious "Memento for movies" condition ;)

• Like 1

I just realized that June's comment was on the Rockstar ep. I have memento for hdtgm eps

Oh god you are all far to classy to watch Real housewives (unless you do??) but this reminds me of the only one I watch (New Jersey!) one of the husbands uses colored hair spray stuff to make it look like he isn't going bald and he got in a fight with his brother in law and it got all over both of them. God Bless the messy ass Giudices and Gorgas.

ย 

Um, hello, you prostitution whore.

Jessica's full on scream at the end was the funniest reaction to a big reveal since Reindeer Games. I had to full on cover my mouth and my boss asked if I was okay because I was L O S I N G IT!

ย 

OK so I apologize is this has already been discussed and I missed it. But it was really hard to hear what the audience member was saying that made Jessica scream bloody murder. Something about Johnny's mom? Can someone explain cause I really want to know now.