🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RC

Leonard Part 6

So let me see if I've got this straight. Cosby wrote it and produced it but "denounced and disowned it weeks before it's release" according to Wikipedia. Cosby actually panned his movie before it's release and told people not to go see it. He also laid blame on the director. Way to Priceless! The result... it lost close to $19m at the box office. The movie earned a nomination in the Worst "Comedy" of Our First 25 Years category.

I remember this movie. I was a dumb kid who actually liked movies like Red Heat, Cobra, and Breakin II: Electric Boogaloo (hey... lookie there... a few more movies to consider for the show) and I was ready to turn this movie off after the first 10 minutes.

I recall hearing, somewhere, that Cosby came up with the idea for this movie when he was a kid. I think this is a good example of what can go wrong when super-celeb's are cut loose and allowed to over-indulge.

If you haven't seen it yet... Enjoy!

Siskel & Ebert:

(odd video problems... but the audio is what counts)

IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093405/

Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia..../Leonard_Part_6

Trailer:

Cosby did get to ride an Ostrich... so it wasn't a total loss?

I think it's hilarious that they said this is the 6th installment. But woof. In fact, doesn't Cosby own the TV rights to prevent it from ever airing on TV

The rumor was that he had bought the video rights, limiting its release to its first printing. Since it's available on DVD for whatever reason now (in glorious widescreen!), I think we can safely say it's about as true as the whole "Cosby buying the rights to the Little Rascals to keep them off TV" rumor.

Also, if you really want to be confused? Reflect that Cosby did NOT go on TV and denounce "Ghost Dad." (Sure, they probably had it in his contract that he couldn't, but still.)

Well, that's probably because his good friend Sidney Poitier directed Ghost Dad.

But the TV rights for playing a movie are different than home video release. The different channels and networks pay for the rights to play the movie. Bill probably bought the rights preventing all other networks from being able to play it. But the studios still have the home video rights.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can recall hearing about how Bill bought the TV rights for a certain amount of time, let's say, 20 years or so. This obviously no longer applies, but it was long enough to drown it out of public memory, with the studios not wanting to release it for home viewing for the burgeoning VHS market. This is why it was finally released in 2005 on DVD. Also, please, please you guys, watch this movie. It's got it all: killer frogs, vegetarian terrorists, an English butler, JOE DON FUCKING BAKER, Laura Palmer's mother, and Lava soap. Lots of Lava soap. This is a must watch.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone has nominated this cinematic abomination yet, but if not, this S&E review says it all:

Also featuring Joe Don Baker, just in case there was any doubt about the depths of badness this movie contains.

• Like 1

There's actually already a forum for this one so this needs to be moved.

is there such a thing as a good bill cosby movie? food for though

Now look, we all know that Sidney Poitier's Ghost Dad is a cinematic masterpiece.

• Like 4

I remember when a friend told me about this movie. I could hardly believe it existed. Until I saw it....

Bill Cosby. Riding. An ostrich.

• Like 1

Also featuring Joe Don Baker, just in case there was any doubt about the depths of badness this movie contains.

"Go ahead on."

• Like 3

You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?

• Like 3

You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?

"Big buttery moon up there... The sidewalk looks like ice cream if you squint hard enough."

• Like 1

This is seriously the worst movie that was ever made by a famous actor. I have no idea how you haven't already watched this movie.

This trailer sums up what this movie is about shockingly well.

This movie is just a cringe-fest

Spoiler Alert:

There's no parts 1-5

I think this film makes ALL of us feel violated...

Too soon?

I worked at Columbia Pictures in 1987, and had to watch the dailies. If all you've seen is the finished movie, your suffering is not remotely comparable to mine.

• Like 4

Given recent events, there is no way this episode would be anything other than SO UPSETTING.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this