🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 36 Preview (Fister Roboto’s 3rd Pick)

Okay. So, I've had a few things in mind for a while now, and I haven't been able to decide. I had a great South Indian epic in mind. And then Netflix added a classic Bollywood masala film over the weekend. And I was really leaning that way. I had also thought about doing something more modern.

But the whole time, I've also been fighting with myself about another musical. It's a classic, and it's the first one I "discovered" rather than being introduced to it by my parents. I loved this musical in high school, but I recently re-listened to a cast recording from its Broadway revival in the 90s, and it's....problematic to say the least. It might as well be called Toxic Masculinity: The Musical. So I've been writing it off. But the more I think about it, the more I really think it's the one that'll give us the most to talk about from the options I had in mind.

Sooooooo now that I'm done rambling about my thought process, here's my pick for the week:

brando_sinatra_guys_and_dolls.jpg

• Like 3

Okay. So, I've had a few things in mind for a while now, and I haven't been able to decide. I had a great South Indian epic in mind. And then Netflix added a classic Bollywood masala film over the weekend. And I was really leaning that way. I had also thought about doing something more modern.

But the whole time, I've also been fighting with myself about another musical. It's a classic, and it's the first one I "discovered" rather than being introduced to it by my parents. I loved this musical in high school, but I recently re-listened to a cast recording from its Broadway revival in the 90s, and it's....problematic to say the least. It might as well be called Toxic Masculinity: The Musical. So I've been writing it off. But the more I think about it, the more I really think it's the one that'll give us the most to talk about from the options I had in mind.

Sooooooo now that I'm done rambling about my thought process, here's my pick for the week:

brando_sinatra_guys_and_dolls.jpg

Ummmm...you've been gone for awhile, huh?

(Cakebug already picked this as his second pick ;) )

• Like 3

Ummmm...you've been gone for awhile, huh?

(Cakebug already picked this as his second pick ;) )

Oh shit! Cakebuuuuuuuuuuuuug! *shakes fist*

Yeah, I was gone for a while. Bummer. I totally would have loved to have been around for that conversation

Ummmm guess I'm going with one of my other choices. We haven't done any Bollywood or South Indian cinema yet (I don't think...). This is one I've been meaning to see for a while, but its availability in the US in has been super spotty. Netflix just added it in the US. It's a "masala" film, which means that it has a little bit of everything in it. There's action and romance and big dance numbers and comedy and just tons of stuff to love.

So, since I failed to check if my pick had been done while I was out which would have saved me much back and forth over the past couple weeks, let's go wiiiiiiith:

om_shanti_om_ver2_xlg.jpg

• Like 8

We haven't done any Bollywood or South Indian cinema yet (I don't think...).

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Nice, I've been eyeballing this one on Netflix.. I've wanted to watch some more Bollywood.

I didn't mean to be MIA for the last few, I was laid off from my job end of January. And the job hunt took a bit longer than I was expecting. BUT all is good now and start my new job tomorrow :)

I'll definitely be hopping back in these convos.

And did anyone watch the Jesus Christ Superstar Live thing? I'm like 20 mins in (it's available on Hulu).

• Like 7

Nice, I've been eyeballing this one on Netflix.. I've wanted to watch some more Bollywood.

I didn't mean to be MIA for the last few, I was laid off from my job end of January. And the job hunt took a bit longer than I was expecting. BUT all is good now and start my new job tomorrow :)/>

And did anyone watch the Jesus Christ Superstar Live thing? I'm like 20 mins in (it's available on Hulu).

Congratulations on the new job! Glad to have you back!

• Like 3

I didn't mean to be MIA for the last few, I was laid off from my job end of January. And the job hunt took a bit longer than I was expecting. BUT all is good now and start my new job tomorrow :)/>

Congrats!

I watched about half of JCS so far and Im surprised I like it so much.

• Like 4

I didn't mean to be MIA for the last few, I was laid off from my job end of January. And the job hunt took a bit longer than I was expecting. BUT all is good now and start my new job tomorrow :)

Congrats on the new job! I know I've been MIA on the musical boards, but I have been lurking and liking!

I do need to catch that new JCS though...

• Like 5

I think it's safe to say that John Legend is Ted Neeley handsome

We'll have to wait for Cam Bert's mom's verdict.

• Like 6

Question: if I didn't like the version of JCS we watched, will I like the TV version? Like, is it really close to that version? I love John Legend and am curious, but I just really, really wasn't into JCS.

On a different note, if y'all don't follow Chrissy Teigen on Twitter, first off, what are you doing with your lives? And second, her tweets about John Legend and JCS have been amazing. This is my favorite, though:

YYnjgYu.png

• Like 4

Question: if I didn't like the version of JCS we watched, will I like the TV version? Like, is it really close to that version? I love John Legend and am curious, but I just really, really wasn't into JCS.

On a different note, if y'all don't follow Chrissy Teigen on Twitter, first off, what are you doing with your lives? And second, her tweets about John Legend and JCS have been amazing. This is my favorite, though:

YYnjgYu.png

The tv version is very different from the movie, so you might like it.

Her best tweet was her clapback at O'Reilly.

• Like 4

Her best tweet was her clapback at O'Reilly.

Omg yes. Also I loved her tweet about how disappointed she was that she had a sex dream about her own husband lol.

• Like 5

We'll have to wait for Cam Bert's mom's verdict.

The text exchange between my mom and I:

Me: Mom, did you watch Jesus Christ Superstar the other day?

Mom: No why would I?

Me: They did a live version of it on TV.

Mom: Oh I think I heard about that. Was at your sisters for dinner with uncle Jack.

Me: But you love Jesus Christ

Me: Superstar

Mom: I love the movie and I had the album.

Me: Was this a protest because it was't staring Ted Neeley?

Mom: No.

Mom: Who was Jesus?

Me: John Legend

Mom: Don' know him.

Mom: Who else was in it?

Me: Couldn't stream it so no idea. You know John Legend. He sings "All of Me" He was the musician in La La Land.

Mom: That is a very beautiful song.

Mom: Still haven't seen La La Land. It keeps popping up on some of the pay channels and I thought to record it.

Me: But it won the academy award for best picture.

Me: I'm sorry mom, but Moonlight, Moonlight is the real winner.

Mom: Oh ugh I remember those jokes. Maybe I'll watch it this week.

The answer will come after she watches La La Land.

• Like 6

First, sorry Fister for copying your MM pick six months ago. I'm deeply ashamed and I will spend the rest of the day repenting for my presumption.

Second, Cam Bert's text conversation with his mom just added ten years to my life. I haven't laughed with glee like that in a while.

And third, HI GUYS! I hesitate to say I'm back but I logged in to my iTunes this morning and realized I've missed 15 HDTGM movies (plus the minis and MMs!) - like, how did that happen? I stopped having time to watch the films so the episodes were getting less interesting, and without having seen the films or listening to the eps, I was logging in less, and then all of a sudden I'm on a six month podcast hiatus. I'd like to catch up and get back into things and start contributing again. Although looking at Fister's pick this week... uh...

tenor.gif

I kid!

Sort of

Anyway, I've missed you guys. My new job is awesome but I'm at it for 17-18 hours a day. But the up side of academia - three month break over summer! I'll be back way more as this semester winds down.

Love you all!

• Like 5

Love you all!

Keep cool, Cameron...Gotta keep cool...

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Mom: Oh ugh I remember those jokes.

I think this was my favorite part of this whole exchange lol.

YYnjgYu.png

My mom was talking about her tweets on the phone last night and only wants to refer to her as "Christine" because "that's how she has it on Twitter."

Me: She goes by Chrissy though

Mom: Well she put Christine

Love you all!

Welcome back CakeBug! I very much enjoyed you return to Letterboxd as well with backing me up on Scott Pilgrim but they don't have comment likes lol.

• Like 4

Anyway, I've missed you guys. My new job is awesome but I'm at it for 17-18 hours a day. But the up side of academia - three month break over summer! I'll be back way more as this semester winds down.

Love you all!

Right back at you! You are missed! Even a little CakeBug is better than none.

I think this was my favorite part of this whole exchange lol.

My mother is not one for pop culture humor. She is also not one for my sense of humor.

• Like 6

Welcome back CakeBug! I very much enjoyed you return to Letterboxd as well with backing me up on Scott Pilgrim but they don't have comment likes lol.

Yes, very happy to support 'Scott Pilgrim' with the caveat that I should say that I haven't seen that movie in ten years. My memories are very strongly linked to the fact that the main star in that movie is the City of Toronto, which features heavily and often, and is full of secret sights that the tourists don't see. So, I'm totally biased about why I love 'Scott Pilgrim', but it's also nice to support you and bust Fister's chops a bit. ;)

Glad I've come back just in time to slip back into the rotation...

• Like 5

Although looking at Fister's pick this week... uh...

tenor.gif

I kid!

Sort of

I know. It's a bit too much awesome all at once.

• Like 5