🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 186 - Geostorm: LIVE!

All of Mary Roach's work is great! I'd also recommend Gulp and Stiff, the former about the alimentary canal and the latter about all the different things that happen to dead bodies. They take off on wild tangents and are a lot of fun to read.

• Like 4

I honestly didn't notice the artificial gravity thing, but isn't that kind of a trope for Sci-Fi movies set in the future? I always feel like I hear someone mention something about getting the artificial gravity set back on because they can't move as quickly as they want to when they are floating. I feel like it was also possibly briefly mentioned in the newest Cloverfield movie on Netflix.

And it's things like that that make a dummy like me think we've had artificial gravity this whole time! But I'm definitely gonna check out Mary Roach's work because it sounds fascinating!

• Like 5

This is the one part of the movie that is air-tight. When Secret Service Girlfriend sees what their escape vehicle is she says in disgust something along the lines of "you got a self driving cab?" If only she had read a little farther in the script she'd have known there was a HUGE payoff coming.

Was I the only one who expected the car to drive on its own while she like got out on the roof and fought bad guys? I was a little underwhelmed by the the rocket launcher thing. I think there was more fun to be had with the self driving car.

• Like 1

I have to be a dick, and bring up a minor throw away comment.

I think it was Paul, when talking about Gerard Butler and his brother, said "One is from Scotland, the other is from the UK", Scotland is in the UK (for now). It would be like if I was to say "He's from Texas, but his brother is from America", it makes no sense.

So, I'm gonna go further into it, because I see it too many times.

- The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

- Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales.

- The British Isles is the Island Group of Great Britain, Ireland (not to be confused with The Republic of Ireland, it's the whole island with the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland), and the surrounding crown dependencies The Isle on Man, and the Channel Islands, Jersey and Guernsey (Paul, if you read this in the mini-episode, it's pronounced GURN-ZEE, just to avoid another Sarky/Sarsy situation.)

Just a douchey, nitpicky, geography lesson.

• Like 2

I was thrilled to find this movie on my long flight yesterday! And I am very glad I didn't listen to the podcast til this morning so I didn't hear all the airline horror stories. It was a 11 hour flight, I would have been tortured.

Like Jason, the second Ed Harris showed up I realized he was the bad guy, and I was really rooting to Secret Service girlfriend to be in cahoots with him. It wasn't until she agreed to kidnap the president that I gave up that hope, which I know was way too far into the movie. Also, did the president propose to her for the brother? I don't think he ever proposed, she just started referring to herself as his fiance?

I am not great with science stuff, but I was confused with the idea that the impending Geostorm would suddenly end when the weather satellites would be shut down. Wouldn't the weather still be occurring even if the satellite got turned off and on again? I know it started the heat wave or the tsunami or whatever, but wouldn't it take a ton of effort to stop weather that's actually happening? I felt like the storms ended very suddenly.

• Like 3

I'd just like to say that Jessica St. Clair should have known better than to try to go toe to toe with Jason on Diane Lane. He has expressed his love for her movies before so of course he knows "Under the Tuscan Sun."

Although...his character on Brooklyn 99, Adrian Pimento has a deep love for Nancy Myers movies along with Rosa Diaz. Maybe "That's Tuscany" is a movie in the Brooklyn 99 universe?

Also an instance of people being safe with Ed Harris is the movie "Appaloosa." Well you weren't safe if you were almost anyone who worked for Jeremy Irons in that movie...but just about anyone else was safe.

• Like 1

Couple of thoughts:

- Watching in subtitles, the daughter caught a Lyft, not just a lift when leaving her dad to go back to mom. Hope Lyft didn't pay too much for that nearly invisible product placement.

- Maybe things exploded so spectacularly because lithium ion batteries became the standard?

- At the end, I was waiting for Ute and Jake to try to kiss via bonking their helmets together

Finally:

- This movie felt like it wanted the emotional pull of Armageddon or Apollo 13 but couldn't pull off any emotional attachment to any character (except maybe Cheng and stereotypical sassy black millenial)

Here are some of my nerd notes.

- The Earth moves. Those satellites appear stationary? Like a web around the planet, but what happens when the planet moves and rotates? How can one be over Afghanistan FOREVER?

Edited: Uhoh. I said "Bill Pullman" when I meant "Bill Paxton." Jason and Paul F. are going to be so mad at me!

This is easily explained by using geosynchronous orbits for the satellites. https://en.wikipedia...nchronous_orbit

• Like 2

Jess St Clair or Marissa Wompler? 

It's getting harder and harder to tell. 

Casual racism laughed off with claims of tiredness.

The vacuous part of her is funny though in a guilty sort of way...

On 3/23/2019 at 12:04 AM, Bamcircus said:

Watching it now on Showcase here in Canada. Probably my 5th or 6th time. Feels a little extra relevant in 2020.

GEOSTORM!!