🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 37 Preview (Cameron H's 3rd Pick)

Good Morning!

Man, this was really tough. I find there's so many movies that I want to do that I have a real issue narrowing the field down to just one. My picks this time included classics, garbage, legitimately good movies, etc and I really couldn't decide which direction I wanted to go.

After careful consideration - and a bracketed tournament amongst friends - I had it narrowed down to two picks. I chose the one I went with because I don't feel like we've done something of this ilk before and (I'm hoping) it will give us plenty to talk about. Plus, I really wanted an Angela Lansbury vehicle...

So without further ado, my pick is

bluehawaii.jpg

Here's the trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-KSYbBRfQ

And for anyone disappointed, I promise to (maybe) pick Rockula next time :)

• Like 9

You were supposed to pick Live a Little, Love a Little because I have the hots for Michelle Carey.

MV5BMTU0ODUxMDIwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTgxNzMyNw@@._V1_.jpg

Oh well. At least Angela Lansbury is stunning.

dae7b82d1d8e7b192381640cc988329c.jpg

• Like 3

On another note, I love Angela in The Manchurian Candidate. I absolutely believed she was Laurence Harvey's mother. Imagine my shock to find out

she is only three years older AND was only 36 or 37 when the movie was made!

• Like 4

Awesome pick, I look forward to watching it seeing as I didn't know Cabot Cove was in Hawaii.

• Like 3

Awesome pick, I look forward to watching it seeing as I didn't know Cabot Cove was in Hawaii.

I am such a dunce. I JUST got that!

• Like 2

Plus, I really wanted an Angela Lansbury vehicle...

I really thought this meant Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

But I've never seen Blue Hawaii! I'm very excited to check it out!

• Like 3

I really thought this meant Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

But I've never seen Blue Hawaii! I'm very excited to check it out!

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is one of my favorites! But I really wanted to watch something I had never seen before.

That being said, if someone else were to pick B and B, I’d be more than happy to watch it again ;)

• Like 3

There are two types of people in the world, those that see David Tomlnson and think "Oh, the dad from Mary Poppins!" and those that think "Oh, the professor from Bedknobs and Broomsticks!" I am in the later.

Well then there is those weirdos that will say "The bad guy from The Love Bug." Boy, Disney really kept him busy.

• Like 3

There are two types of people in the world, those that see David Tomlnson and think "Oh, the dad from Mary Poppins!" and those that think "Oh, the professor from Bedknobs and Broomsticks!" I am in the later.

Well then there is those weirdos that will say "The bad guy from The Love Bug." Boy, Disney really kept him busy.

I have definitely seen Bedknobs And Broomsticks way way more times than Mary Poppins but I'd still recognize him as the dad from Mary Poppins first.

• Like 1

So without further ado, my pick is

bluehawaii.jpg

This excites me.

AGwev0N.gif

• Like 3

Guys...I should have picked Rockula.

source.gif

Edit: Just saw your letterboxd review. I get it now..

• Like 3

I really shouldn't have watched this so early. I keep wanting to say things...

My advice: wait until it's closer to next Monday before watching this movie.

• Like 5

This excites me.

I just caught up on the episodes after watching Adore and Geostorm on Friday. Congrats on the minisode win!

• Like 3

Little-known fact: The title of this movie comes from the first draft of a well-known song. Blue Hawaii didn't fit the meter so Blue Christmas was inserted in the song instead.

• Like 5

I just caught up on the episodes after watching Adore and Geostorm on Friday. Congrats on the minisode win!

Hey thanks Cinco! I'm surprised as hell when these things happen.

• Like 4

I am super excited to see this - I've had to miss the last few weeks due to being slammed at work and on a long trip. To come back to Geostorm and Elvis, its pretty great.

• Like 5

I realize I don't think I've ever seen an Elvis movie start to finish so I am pretty excited to see Blue Hawaii. From what I hear he's an atrocious actor and at the same time quite compelling to watch.

I looked through my pics this morning from my trip to Graceland in 2007. It was hot as hell, but we had a good time. My photos from that trip are 90% garbage, but I thought I would share this one. Gallery O' Jumpsuits.

41561752062_48c3660c7f_o.jpg

Anyone else visited Graceland?

• Like 4

I realize I don't think I've ever seen an Elvis movie start to finish so I am pretty excited to see Blue Hawaii. From what I hear he's an atrocious actor and at the same time quite compelling to watch.

I looked through my pics this morning from my trip to Graceland in 2007. It was hot as hell, but we had a good time. My photos from that trip are 90% garbage, but I thought I would share this one. Gallery O' Jumpsuits.

41561752062_48c3660c7f_o.jpg

Anyone else visited Graceland?

Me! I went in April of 2009. Below are links to my pictures and videos. I took the VIP tour (to cut down on the waiting time) and got to see a side exhibit of the deed and a couple other things. I also took an ill-adivsed selfie but oh well.

Photos

Videos

I was amazed how tall the room was that had the jumpsuits when I was there. IIRC it's where the Hall of Records lead to.

oU5zgq1.jpg

• Like 4

Will be starting Blue Hawaii shortly. Ready to strap in for the ride!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the Graceland pics, Polly and Cinco. Graceland looks insane!

I guess I should have asked this earlier (or perhaps I should wait until Monday), but is anyone here, like a die hard Elvis fan or anything? Personally, I appreciate his role in Rock history, but I'm not a huge fan or anything. He's strictly a "Greatest Hits" artist for me.

Also, for anyone interested in some extracurricular, HBO just premiered the documentary Elvis: The Searcher. I was going to put it on today but I was like, "Ugh, 3 Hours..." I'll definitely watch it at some point this week, though.

On a somewhat related note, I also almost watched Elvis and Nixon but I was like "Ugh, Kevin Spacey..."

• Like 2

I guess I should have asked this earlier (or perhaps I should wait until Monday), but is anyone here, like a die hard Elvis fan or anything? Personally, I appreciate his role in Rock history, but I'm not a huge fan or anything. He's strictly a "Greatest Hits" artist for me.

I was going to ask the Tarantino question of Beatles vs Elvis but thought I would save it for the actually movie thread. I already knew what your answer would be though.

I think the story of Elvis is greater than his music. Like you said I'm kinda a greatest hits guy too with maybe the odd deep cut, but I find stories about him and his life to be endlessly fascinating.

• Like 1

Enjoying it so far. Loving Angela Lansbury’s character. After all, nobody doesn’t like Sarah Lee!

• Like 1

It's weird how often she got cast as a Southern Belle, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing the Graceland pics, Polly and Cinco. Graceland looks insane!

Also, for anyone interested in some extracurricular, HBO just premiered the documentary Elvis: The Searcher. I was going to put it on today but I was like, "Ugh, 3 Hours..." I'll definitely watch it at some point this week, though.

On a somewhat related note, I also almost watched Elvis and Nixon but I was like "Ugh, Kevin Spacey..."

I was never a fan. I guess I can kind of appreciate his spreading rock music to racist white people. He had some good songs but meh overall. I can see his appeal but, to answer the Tarantino question, Elvis ranks a little above solo Ringo and below almost anything else Beatles related.

I saw Elvis And Nixon before we all found out Spacey was a child rapist. You're not missing much.

• Like 2