🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
bobbyd

American Ninja (1985)

Since the podcast has kind of shifted and gotten maybe a little more sentimental, I thought this movie could be reconsidered. This movie is campy as hell, but growing up, as far as I was concerned, this was the most important film of the 80s. It's streaming for free on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PmT83EeU6E

I always got a good laugh out of this when it was on T.V. Definitely worth hearing them try and explain it.

I know this isn't high on the list with Ninja Terminator up next, but I'm so surprised this hasn't gotten more traction with HDTGM. I mean, after all it is a Cannon Group production. I just saw it for the first time, and wow is it bad. It's like a combination between Romancing the Stone (at least cutting high heels off shoes), Commando and a low-rent James Bond film.

From the box cover: The deadliest art of The East is now in the hands of an American.

maxresdefault.jpg

I know this isn't high on the list with Ninja Terminator up next, but I'm so surprised this hasn't gotten more traction with HDTGM. I mean, after all it is a Cannon Group production. I just saw it for the first time, and wow is it bad. It's like a combination between Romancing the Stone (at least cutting high heels off shoes), Commando and a low-rent James Bond film.

From the box cover: The deadliest art of The East is now in the hands of an American.

when paul said the live shows were going to have a ninja theme this is the first film that came to mind. i thought it would be this and maybe something like hulk hogan's 3 ninjas

• Like 1

when paul said the live shows were going to have a ninja theme this is the first film that came to mind. i thought it would be this and maybe something like hulk hogan's 3 ninjas

Hulk's ninja epic would be a good choice as well. Not sure which would have more meat on the bone. Or which would have the potential of being described as a fever dream by Jason. Maybe Joe Armstrong died or was near death in the initial attack and the rest of the movie was a fever dream? Or maybe it's all a fever dream, because it mentions he has amnesia so maybe the actual head blow he suffered put him into a coma.

Either way, I think I'm watching this again tonight. Maybe part 2.

Update: I watched a couple more ninja movies last night...American Ninja 2 and Ninja III: the Domination. They're both incredible choices for HDTGM and I think either of these would be suitable if the crew decides to do another ninja film.

American Ninja 2 is the best in the series. Surprisingly funny with decent action scenes. Dudikoff is a legitimate block of wood but the actor who played his sidekick, Steve James, should have had a much bigger career (unfortunately he passed away in 1993).

• Like 1

American Ninja 2 is the best in the series. Surprisingly funny with decent action scenes. Dudikoff is a legitimate block of wood but the actor who played his sidekick, Steve James, should have had a much bigger career (unfortunately he passed away in 1993).

Steve James was pretty great. I didn't realize he passed so long ago. Both the first and second ones are fun and extremely watchable, even if they're bad.

I did notice a continuity issue the first time they meet with the Marine named Wild Bill. They go to leave and Steve James turns to walk out first. The second guy is not Dudikoff but another white guy who looks like him. He was in the film later I think before they raided the ninja lair.

I might have missed this, but when they were showing off all the SuperNinjas, why did Tojo Ken decide to put on a show and kill a bunch of them? To show he's the most super?

• Like 1