🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
itsatrap2187

Double Dragon (1994)

You guys did Street Fighter, and that was a nice helping of cheese. Now that we're warmed up on this genre... How about twice the cheese? I'd say keep the momentum and go... "DOUBLE DRAGON!!"

Boy, what an an awful and weird movie. This would make for a great episode.

My favorite part of this film is when Alyssa Milano kicks the villian into the pit and stands over her and says, "Now who's the boss?" And there's this really long pause as if the director said, "Hold on this shot for a really long time, because there will be so many people screaming and cheering that we won't want to miss anything by cutting away too soon."

• Like 1

Ok. Hear me out. Double Dragon is quite possibly one of my favorite "so bad it's good" movies ever, and it has SO MANY of the calling cards of a truly terrible movie.

For example:

1. It is based off of a video game franchise, while having absolutely nothing to do with the source material.

2. It's set in a ridiculous dystopian future LA...in the year 2007.

3. It stars Alyssa Milano as the leader of a day-glo clad prepubescent street gang, Robert Patrick (The T-1000 from Terminator 2), Scott Wolf (Party of Five), and Mark Dacascos. Don't recognize that last one? Well, you can see his face every week on the food network playing the chairman on Iron Chef America...

4. Truly terrible stunt choreography

5. Cameos from George Hamilton, Andy Dick, and Vanna White for God knows why

5. And, everyone's favorite, early CGI effects.

Trust me, even if you don't talk about this one in the podcast, you neeeed to go out and watch it.

• Like 4

Not to mention more confusion from June once again not realizing the film is based on a game.. which is always fun.

If it was Frogger (aka frog street crossing) or Pac-Man then she might recognize it..

Videogame movies are fish in a barrel for this show. This movie, however, might be the cream of the sad sad crop.

The classic video game movie with the guy from Iron Chef and is brother fighting to get a mystical medallion just watched this on Netflix and i think it would be perfect.

This was like someone said "let's mix Robocop's news satire, the various gangs of The Warriors, the dystopia of Escape from New York, and Double Dragon's characters. Oh and let's make it for kids!" This movie would be perfect for the show and could easily go two hours as Jason tries to understand the building jacks, how monster Abobo looks like he has HUGE BALLS for shoulders, or that Scott Wolf is somehow supposed to be taken as a serious martial artist.

You saw Mortal Kombat, you saw Street Fighter, Now! Get ready for twice the fighting and double the action, now its time for.. DOUBLE DRAGON!!!

Double Dragon, is a hidden gem for all computer, martial arts and 90's geeks.

The film revolves around two brothers, fighting to overcome their destiny, which is to be protectors of the world, while simultanously strugling with the loss of their mentor and surrogate mom's death.

The movie is set in a post apocalyptic Los Angeles, where gangs rules the street, and everyone must fight to prove their strenght.

They join a rag tag gang of young teens, that helps them solve the mystery of the medallion, and with the power of magic, they defeat the bad guys. Along the way, they learn about responsibility, self confidence and of course LOVE.

This movie is a mixture of MK, Streetfighter, Demolition Man, Karate Kid, and of course TMNT, and uses tropes from all the great movies from the 90's.

It also features an amazing cast of Robert Patrick (YES THE T-1000 from Terminator 2), Scott Wolf (Party of five), Mark Dacascos (From Iron Chef), & Alyssa Milano with her brother Cory (and Andy Dick is also in it!!!).

This film truly has it all, and it needs to be reviewed by HDTGM ASAP. I PROMISE THIS MOVIE WILL BLOW YOUR MINDS!

At least check out the IMDB page & watch the

Think about this:

Yeah I saw that Cracked article as well and thought "this whole list is made of future HDTGM episodes." Especially the one where Jon Voight gets in a karate fight with a dog.

This movie has so many great quotes. And I smile every time I hear the name "Koga Shuko". It wasnt until much later I realized the scary robot from T2 and this guy was the same person :D

Guisman: You're weak like your father.

Billy Lee: You're ugly like your mother.

Or

Smartass Mohawk: [checking his computer for the identities of the people in the car ahead of them] Hey, we know these guys! It's the Lee brothers, Ug and Home, ha-ha.

Bo Abobo #1: Who?

Bo Abobo #1: Oh, I get it - UG-Lee, HOME-Lee. Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

Why #1? See the movie and you will understand

The entire movie is spent chasing down these two amulets, when put together they are supposed to give our heros great powers. The bad guy has the ability to make duplicates of himself, telekenisis among other abilities and fears these amulets.

What is the great mystery of these amulets? They basically give our heros a wardrobe change, power rangers style. No super strength, or enhanced fighting abilities, a simple change of costume.

Long overdue bump. They have to be saving this movie for somebody special. Theres so much to talk about they could probably do this episode as like a three parter.

After watching this, Only the Strong and Brotherhood of the Wolf over the last couple months i've realized how criminally underutilized Mark Dascascos has been. He's by no means an amazing actor but his enthusiasm and energy not too mention his obvious martial arts talents just make him so much fun to watch in whatever he's in.