đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 37 Blue Hawaii

This just makes me wonder who did his mother want him to marry? She had never met Maile until the party but is against her because she is of lower socio-economic status, but there is never any other rich or high status people around. I would make sense if there was a girl she wanted him to settle down with, but it was more of just anybody but her for the sake of conflict.

I think she's one of those women (particular Southern women according to tv and movies) who doesn't think any woman is good enough for her perfect angel. Like I bet if there was another girl from their social circle she would have been nicer but still a bitch.

• Like 3

Am i the only one grossed out by the way Elvis kissed that Flight Attendant? Like he was eating her chin.

• Like 3

Speaking of that fruit stand, I thought it was interesting Elvis recommended salt with pineapple. I like salt on my watermelon, but for pineapple (and mango) it's Tajin all the way.

I'd like to try that. Sweet and spicy is always good. For me the best way to eat pineapple is with pinch of salt and lightly grilled. Grilled pineapple is the best!

The actual best way to eat pineapple is on a pizza with pepperoni or better yet chorizo but I know how you all feel about this...

• Like 5

Yeah, the movie could never decide if Elvis was playing a character named Chad or basically just playing Elvis. I know Elvis' handlers were obviously trying to cash in on his persona and popularity, but if they were going to go that route, they might as well have cast him as a famous rock star returning to Hawaii from the army (maybe with parents wanting to cash in on his celebrity in order to benefit their company, which would lead to the resentment we see from him in the film), rather than trying to have it both ways. He could still be named Chad, but it could at least explain why the whole island is obsessed with him.

We've seen that movie already.

1353031344-0.jpg

• Like 6

I felt that was equally as uncomfortable as the spanking. At least it wasn't a Mickey Rooney situation.

Please educate me on the Mickey Rooney thing. I don't think I've ever heard that.

Please educate me on the Mickey Rooney thing. I don't think I've ever heard that.

In Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mickey Rooney plays a reprehensible Japanese stereotype that is not only offensive, but so comically broad and out-of-step in tone from the rest of the movie, that it brings the film to a crashing halt whenever he appears. Despite how much I adore Audrey Hepburn, I just never want to watch that movie again.

(I'm not even gonna post the picture, rather I will just link to Rooney done-up in yellow-face because it's just gross, you guys)

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2016/01/29/47522b7f-6906-4921-9e35-f78b0f42325b/resize/620x465/a96a9e907823263ea00e484e9e297aae/1372883021mickey-rooney.jpg

• Like 6

In Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mickey Rooney plays a reprehensible Japanese stereotype that is not only offensive, but so comically broad and out-of-step in tone from the rest of the movie, that it brings the film to a crashing halt whenever he appears. Despite how much I adore Audrey Hepburn, I just never want to watch that movie again.

(I'm not even gonna post the picture, rather I will just link to Rooney done-up in yellow-face because it's just gross, you guys)

https://cbsnews1.cbs...ckey-rooney.jpg

One should only watch this movie in the same vein of academic curiosity in which one watches Birth of a Nation.

Which stinks because it's not a bad movie, otherwise. But it's the same thing with Olivier's Othello, or James Bond's "turning Japanese" in You Only Live Twice, and other passable movies ruined by the totally-white attitude of "I can play a person of color just as well as they can, it doesn't look that hard to be a minority!"

• Like 4

I think Breakfast at Tiffany's goes beyond You Only Live Twice and Othello (though not, obviously, Birth of a Nation), in that Rooney's performance is done with outright cruelty. Othello and Bond were done with a sort of dumb paternalism and "Orientalism" of other cultures, especially in regards to the leads playing other races, but they never, I don't think, approached the minstrel-show-level awfulness that Rooney's character injects into Breakfast at Tiffany's.

It's all offensive though, to be sure.

• Like 3

I think Breakfast at Tiffany's goes beyond You Only Live Twice and Othello (though not, obviously, Birth of a Nation), in that Rooney's performance is done with outright cruelty. Othello and Bond were done with a sort of dumb paternalism and "Orientalism" of other cultures, especially in regards to the leads playing other races, but they never, I don't think, approached the minstrel-show-level awfulness that Rooney's character injects into Breakfast at Tiffany's.

It's all offensive though, to be sure.

I think that You Only Live Twice is a bit more aggressive in its stereotyping than you might (including Connery's make up and acting, but also the movie's general portrayal of Japanese people and culture), but I'd agree about Othello ... that was Olivier's desire to check off every Shakespearean leading man, although I'd argue he should've just played Iago and gotten someone else to play Othello.

Neither of them are a bad as Mr. Yunioshi.

• Like 3

40963883344_69a8747ed1_k.jpg

A story I like to tell myself - Floyd accidentally got on a bus to Raleigh, somehow got shuffled on to a plane to Honolulu, and must have walked into the tourist guide office so he could go see Diamondhead or something and got mistaken for the boss there. He seems equally as confused as he ever did in Mayberry.

• Like 5

Am i the only one grossed out by the way Elvis kissed that Flight Attendant? Like he was eating her chin.

One of my notes was that there was a lot of face smashing.

Did anyone notice that he's wearing white? I wonder if that is a Hawaiian tradition or if he's wearing white because it is totally about him and not her.

How badly do you think he wanted to bedazzle the shit out of that outfit?

• Like 3

40963883344_69a8747ed1_k.jpg

A story I like to tell myself - Floyd accidentally got on a bus to Raleigh, somehow got shuffled on to a plane to Honolulu, and must have walked into the tourist guide office so he could go see Diamondhead or something and got mistaken for the boss there. He seems equally as confused as he ever did in Mayberry.

That's who he is! I just keep thinking of him as a discount Peter Sellers.

• Like 4

Okay, I'm not saying anyone needs to watch it, but...Starz just added Clambake. I just watched it. Apparently, it was Elvis' least favorite film - and. it. shows.

It's basically the same story as Blue Hawaii except that it makes less sense, stars a bloated, uninterested Elvis, and features waaaaaaaaay worse songs. Oh! And Elvis plays a scientist - although you don't find this out until ridiculously late in the game.

So, again, no pressure, but if you want to thrill at the sight of a young Corbin Bersen playing Cowboys and Indians with Elvis and a very suspicious Ice Cream Man.

clambake1.jpg

...and marvel at the beauty of Miami, Florida's majestic mountains

Elvis-Clambake4.jpg

...you should really check it out!

• Like 5

I'm just now watching this. Everyone has covered everything I want to say. Great job, everyone.

Also side note on his parents - grown women that call their husbands 'daddy' gross me out to no end. I think runner up was that guy constantly calling mai tai's 'Tummy Warmers'. What the hell was that about?

What are your thoughts on Mike Pence calling his wife "mother"? That really creeps me out.

Okay, so Chad was originally from Hot'lanta and moved to Hawaii when he was two.

Chad also says he has lived in Hawaii for 15 years. I don't think they mention any places between Hotlanta and Hawaii. Are we supposed to believe Chad is 17 years old?

• Like 2

clambake1.jpg

Man... watching Elvis age is a stone cold bummer.

I'm not sure I can do Clambake - maybe if I get in a "watching Elvis' entire catalogue" mood, but I will totally do King Creole if it pops up in my streaming.

• Like 3

Man... watching Elvis age is a stone cold bummer.

I'm not sure I can do Clambake - maybe if I get in a "watching Elvis' entire catalogue" mood, but I will totally do King Creole if it pops up in my streaming.

Yeah, Clambake popped up and I just figured, if I was ever going to watch it, this would be the week. I was a little bummed when I realized it was a latter day Elvis movie. Currently, none of his other movies appear to be streaming - which is unfortunate :(/>

• Like 2

Elvis-Clambake4.jpg

Wow! You weren't kidding. He's not even staring off in the mid-distance he is just not there at all in that picture.

• Like 3

Wow! You weren't kidding. He's not even staring off in the mid-distance he is just not there at all in that picture.

In that picture, he kind of looks like if Marlon Brando and Corey Feldman had a baby.

• Like 4

Okay, fuck it. In this scene, Elvis is trying to convince a little girl to be brave and slide down a fucking slide. You will notice that the music is decidedly not “Rock and/or Roll.” In fact, it sounds like something Rogers and Hammerstein might have written after getting really drunk and smashing their heads into a cinderblock wall.

ETA:

Some points of interest:

• The slide girl later became a professional ballerina.

• Yes, that’s Bill Bixby who walks in at the end.

• In case you were wondering, this scene’s relevance to the plot is tenuous at best.

• Like 3

Chad also says he has lived in Hawaii for 15 years. I don't think they mention any places between Hotlanta and Hawaii. Are we supposed to believe Chad is 17 years old?

Why? Maybe he wasn't born in Hawaii. Besides, they said he spent 2 years in university before going off to the army.

• Like 1

Why? Maybe he wasn't born in Hawaii. Besides, they said he spent 2 years in university before going off to the army.

I'm going on Cam Bert saying he moved to Hawaii when he was two. I don't recall the movie saying his age but he definitely says he had been in Hawaii for 15 years.

I would assume Chad is supposed to be 22-23. Two years of college at 18, plus two years away in the military would mean that but I think Elvis was older than that in real life at the time

• Like 2

One should only watch this movie in the same vein of academic curiosity in which one watches Birth of a Nation.

Which stinks because it's not a bad movie, otherwise. But it's the same thing with Olivier's Othello, or James Bond's "turning Japanese" in You Only Live Twice, and other passable movies ruined by the totally-white attitude of "I can play a person of color just as well as they can, it doesn't look that hard to be a minority!"

All the WWII-era Popeye cartoons that I grew up (in the 80s and 90s) watching, alongside some other stereotype-laden old cartoons (Warners especially but some Disney, too). That's setting aside the censored eleven...

• Like 2

I'm going on Cam Bert saying

That's your first mistake right there.

• Like 4

What are your thoughts on Mike Pence calling his wife "mother"? That really creeps me out.

Equally gross.

• Like 4

Okay, fuck it. In this scene, Elvis is trying to convince a little girl to be brave and slide down a fucking slide. You will notice that the music is decidedly not “Rock and/or Roll.” In fact, it sounds like something Rogers and Hammerstein might have written after getting really drunk and smashing their heads into a cinderblock wall.

ETA:

Some points of interest:

• In case you were wondering, this scene’s relevance to the plot is tenuous at best.

Are you sure? (Side note, this is Darva Conger's mom. Darva Conger was the first "winner" on Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?)

b7b799aa408acb5bf3647150a0116cef.jpg

This part landed Bill Bixby the role in The Courtship of Eddie's Father.

• Like 2